Sony STRDN1000 and Tannoy speakers - what crossover setting ?

lexus123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have the sony strdn1000 paired with Tannoy sfx 5.1 speaker package.

Despite reading lost of posts and research - I'm still struggling with what the crossover settings should be for my set up. I know a personal preference has a part to play - but am struggling with 1) what the correct crossover setting is? (or what the range is?) and 2) whether the . fronts, centre and surrounds should be set at the same crossover setting or slightly different

I know how to set it on the amp, but just not what at - HELP !!

Personal preference plays no part in this instance. The Tannoy package leaves you no option but to use a crossover of 140Hz. Set the sub to its max (LFE) crossover setting via the dial on the back and turn the levels dial halfway. Run Auto Cal. After calibration, set all speakers as being SMALL and their crossover to 140Hz.

Thanks both, will do that. One final question, after running auto cal, dialogue seems to be low - should I just increase the level of the centre/fronts? (as long as I don't deviate too much from the levels set by auto cal) or should I be doing something else to make dialogue louder/clearer ?

Low dialogue seems to be a very common complaint of late, so make a note of where it is now and try increasing the centre to taste.

I don't know the amp, but if it has centre channel EQ (some do), playing with that may help.

Thanks both, will do that. One final question, after running auto cal, dialogue seems to be low - should I just increase the level of the centre/fronts? (as long as I don't deviate too much from the levels set by auto cal) or should I be doing something else to make dialogue louder/clearer ?

You have a slightly different amp to me but you should be able to:

Just press Amp Menu on your remote scroll down to Level>Then CNT Level and change it to whatever you want. I have mine on +1.0

You can try a different CAL TYPE than the default FULL FLAT. I'd suggest ENGINEER or OFF. Other than this, do as you suggest and try increasing the centre channel level slightly. The CAL TYPE settings can be changed at any time after AUTO CAL and the CAL TYPE sub menu is located in the AUTO CAL menu.

When I did the auto cal on mine it set the two front surrounds +1 db higher than the centre channel, I set them all to the same value (which works on my set up) and the sound is how it should be:thumbsup:

hi guys... can i but in here and ask.....

does this sony receiver support 140hz as i have the tannoy speakers and im in a toss up between this sony or the onkyo 607.... the onkyo doesnt support 140hz though so wondered if the sony actually does

hi guys... can i but in here and ask.....

does this sony receiver support 140hz as i have the tannoy speakers and im in a toss up between this sony or the onkyo 607.... the onkyo doesnt support 140hz though so wondered if the sony actually does

Yes it does.

Crossover 40hz to 200hz in 10hz steps, the default being 120hz

Page 78 here;

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4136735411.pdf

Without looking, I'm not sure what the [-]Sony[/-] Onkyo crossover settings are, but the Tannoys are most likely rated at -6dB (it doesn't say but I bet that's a safe assumption), which means you might even need a higher crossover :eek:

Although having just re-read the Tannoy spec the sub is rated at 140hz max (probably -6dB too) so whatever happens you get a "hole" in the sound.

Not ideal to say the least :thumbsdow

You'd have to experiment to see how things sound in your room.

Last edited:
hi badger.... oh, sounds like you've thrown a spanner in my works!

i apologise as im still learning a lot about home cinema

so in your opinion am i better off with the sony or the onkyo? my budget is around £300-£350 really!

i realise im not going to get the best sound in the world, but i obviously want the best i can get if that makes sense??

i already have the tannoys so changing them isnt an option unfortunately!

thanks for your help

hi badger.... oh, sounds like you've thrown a spanner in my works!

i apologise as im still learning a lot about home cinema

so in your opinion am i better off with the sony or the onkyo? my budget is around £300-£350 really!

i realise im not going to get the best sound in the world, but i obviously want the best i can get if that makes sense??

i already have the tannoys so changing them isnt an option unfortunately!

thanks for your help

I've just had to edit my above post because I got my names mixed up :facepalm:

The crossover specs apply for the Sony though, so it does answer your question.

I personally don't think there's much difference in the amps.

Ideally you would listen for yourself, but if you can't it's a toss a coin job :)

It seems you can use 150hz on the onkyo.

I'd be more tempted to go with the Sony because of it's more versatile x-over settings, but you should be aware that it all depends on your room as to how things sound.

i think ill go sony then!

thanks for explaining that badger :)

another thing ive learnt about home cinema now!

The Onkyo isnt a very good match for Tannoy speakers due to the crossover frequencys.

So have id suggest the Sony but the choice is yours at the end of the day :smashin:

thanks afcjay :)

thats why i ask on here, as i originally had no idea about crossover setting or anything!

ive learnt so much thanks to this forum! and thats just been in a week.....

and i have no preference to which brand so im happy to go with the experts choice...... sony it is

make sure you listen to the sony/tannoy setup before you hand over any cash though as its your eyes and ears that will be seeing and hearing it at the end of the day

where will you be buying also as some places will tell you the Onkyo will wipe the floor clean with the sony,yamaha so just be carefull out there lol :smashin:

it'll be from richer sounds ideally as their quite local and their prices are good to be honest!

apparently a friend of mine has the sony 800 model (the one below this i believe) and he has the tannoys (i have heard his tannoys and his set up) and i think its a pretty good budget set up. i never really thought about his set up until i mentioned it to him. as he used to work for sony hes got a full sony set-up. sadly he no longer does = no discount :(

as i said im not expecting sound quality of a £1000 + system. but i think for the cost of £500 it should be a semi decent system for the money!

mainly thanks to what ive learnt on here may i add!! :)

i had a look at the sony 1000 with a onkyo speaker setup and it didnt look/sound to bad at all

i also look/heard the Onkyo receiver/mordaunt speaker setup aswell but couldnt be pushed in any way shape or form to go for the Onkyo receiver im affraid

if you have tannoys though the Onkyos a no go anyway although when i mention the frequency problem with onkyo/tannoy setup the said they didnt know anything about it :rolleyes:

best thing to do is get the frequency settings of your speakers to take with you and ask them to show you the frequency settings on the onkyo and the sony aswell just to put your mind at rest before parting with your money

Last edited:
ok mate! will do :)

ill report back and let everyone know how i get on

Which ever way you look at the Tannoy speakers and wheather the frequency ranges quoted are, 0db, -3db or -6db, you still have more flexibility for adjustment with the Sony amp than you do with the Onkyo. So unless the Onkyo sounds better to you, the Sony would probably be the better option with the Tannoys.

BTW Badger0-0, thanks for finding the bit in the Sony manual where it was specific about the crosover settings --- I'd looked at the manual for another thread and couldn't find it.

Well their out of stock anyway!!

Bit depressing seeing I'm all ready to go for it! Even had everything pulled out and ready to go :(

BTW Badger0-0, thanks for finding the bit in the Sony manual where it was specific about the crosover settings --- I'd looked at the manual for another thread and couldn't find it.

No worries mate :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom