Sony UBP-X700 - playing 4k HDR discs sometimes reports output at 1080p??

nosirrahs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I just bought the X700 and half the time I play a 4K HDR disc and press DISPLAY it reports "4K/24p HDR", but the other half of the time it'll report "1080p HDR". It flips between the two even on the same disc sometimes! I presume that 1080p mean it's outputting at HD resolution. I haven't found a pattern to this behaviour, if I get 1080p I basically have to switch discs and turn the player on/off a few times until it starts playing at 4k.

Here's my kit:
4K TV: LG OLED55B9PLA
Sound bar LG SL8YG
X700 with latest firmware and Dolby Vision is switched off (as I don't have any DV discs).
The 4K discs I'm trying are The Martian, Blade Runner and Alien.
The player is connected to my soundbar's HDMI in, and the soundbar is connected via ARC to the TV. Both HDMI cables are new and certified for the fastest speeds and 4K.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Simon

Hi all

I just bought the X700 and half the time I play a 4K HDR disc and press DISPLAY it reports "4K/24p HDR", but the other half of the time it'll report "1080p HDR". It flips between the two even on the same disc sometimes! I presume that 1080p mean it's outputting at HD resolution. I haven't found a pattern to this behaviour, if I get 1080p I basically have to switch discs and turn the player on/off a few times until it starts playing at 4k.

Here's my kit:
4K TV: LG OLED55B9PLA
Sound bar LG SL8YG
X700 with latest firmware and Dolby Vision is switched off (as I don't have any DV discs).
The 4K discs I'm trying are The Martian, Blade Runner and Alien.
The player is connected to my soundbar's HDMI in, and the soundbar is connected via ARC to the TV. Both HDMI cables are new and certified for the fastest speeds and 4K.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Simon
Try conecting the X700 direct to TV and see if you still have the problem.
At the moment it is getting passthough by the soundbar and it may be that is where your problem is.
If you get the same problem with a direct connection to the TV the problem will be with the X700 (or it's cable).

When the TV flips between 4K HDR to 1080p HDR is the TV still showing it is in a HDR viewing mode or a SDR viewing mode?
What does the LG B9 show as the signal type 2160p or 1080p? Click on the HDMI in the top left of the screen to see that info.
What order are you powering on the TV, soundbar and X700?

Last edited:
Hi Doug thanks for your reply. And thanks for the tip - I didn't know about clicking the top left corner to get the input resolution.

So just now I switched off up-scaling in the bluray player and did a test. I played Alien 4K HDR, and the TV reported 2160p HDR. I then played Blade Runner 4K HDR, and the TV reported 2160p HDR. Then I played The Martian 4K HDR, and the TV reported 1080p and HDR. I then ejected the disc and switched off the player, and then turned it back on, and put the same Martian disc back in, and it played in 4K HDR! What the heck?

Faulty player??
Trouble reading the disc? (probably not, as it's done similar for the other 4K discs too)

It's a bit late now but tomorrow I'll try adding an HDMI cable and connecting X700->TV and X700->soundbar as you suggest.

To answer your last question, I usually switch the TV on first (which also powers up the soundbar), then power up the bluray player and open tray and load the disc.

Thanks

So just now I switched off up-scaling in the bluray player and did a test. I played Alien 4K HDR, and the TV reported 2160p HDR. I then played Blade Runner 4K HDR, and the TV reported 2160p HDR. Then I played The Martian 4K HDR, and the TV reported 1080p and HDR. I then ejected the disc and switched off the player, and then turned it back on, and put the same Martian disc back in, and it played in 4K HDR! What the heck?

Faulty player??
Trouble reading the disc? (probably not, as it's done similar for the other 4K discs too)

It's a bit late now but tomorrow I'll try adding an HDMI cable and connecting X700->TV and X700->soundbar as you suggest.

To answer your last question, I usually switch the TV on first (which also powers up the soundbar), then power up the bluray player and open tray and load the disc.

Thanks
That the problems often resolves for you when turning it off and on sounds like it may be an incorrect EDID being reported. The player asks the TV what it can do, if it says 4K HDR that is what is sent. If it doesn't the player sends 1080p (or lower). As your path to the TV is through the soundbar it may be that which is incorrectly reporting/passing the TV capability. Turning off and on resets the state and the process starts again.

Your power on sequence sounds OK to me and is what I use. Sometimes if my player comes on first it gets its knickers in a twist and outputs SDR from the 4K UHD. When that happens to me it often needs everything powered off (at the plug) and back on to sort it (and sometimes a couple of attempts too).

I've tried The Martian (Extended) UHD and I can't get my TV to do anything but play it at 4K HDR using auto resolution setting on the X700. I'll be interested to hear if direct connection to the TV resolves the issue.

At worst case scenario as long as you are getting a HDR BT.2020 signal to the TV it won't make a huge amount of difference. 4K downsampled to 1080p would then get upsampled back to 4K again by the TV as it can only display a 4K picture. Not ideal of course as the picture may/will be affected to some degree. I tried manually setting X700 resolution to 1080p and The Martian UHD still looked pretty good to my eyes on my LG E8 (couldn't see any difference but I only had a quick look). My TV was reporting 1080P and that was also what the player said it was outputing.

I suspect though that something is incorrectly reporting EDID or your X700 has a problem with its HDMI resolution auto setting. Are you using auto setting? If so, change to 4K and see if the issue is resolved.

There may also be something odd about The Martian disc as that is the only one you consistently have a problem with. Is it the Extended version or the earlier non extended version disc you have?

Last edited:
I am having exactly the same issue. I have an LG OLED B6 and an LG SY10 sound bar. The player is connected to the soundbar and then connected to the Tv via Arc. Depending on the movie it plays in 4K or 1080p. Very frustrating.

i connected the player straight to the TV and now it plays in 4K. The issue is that my TVdoesn’t support eArc so no DTX or Atmos can pasa to the soundbar.

Any ideas on how can I get it to play in 4K when connecting the player straight to the soundbar?

thanks!

I am having exactly the same issue. I have an LG OLED B6 and an LG SY10 sound bar. The player is connected to the soundbar and then connected to the Tv via Arc. Depending on the movie it plays in 4K or 1080p. Very frustrating.

i connected the player straight to the TV and now it plays in 4K. The issue is that my TVdoesn’t support eArc so no DTX or Atmos can pasa to the soundbar.

Any ideas on how can I get it to play in 4K when connecting the player straight to the soundbar?

thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.

Try HDMI 1 Out from the Sony direct to the TV. HDMI 2 Out to the soundbar. Make sure you configure the Sony to use the two HDMI. In that way you will separate the video from the audio and hopefully no lip sync issues.

Have you enabled enhanced hdmi on both the soundbar and the tv? On LG gear this setting is usually called UHD Deep Colour.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom