Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

I’ve just got an X800 replacing my XBOX and the difference in quality is amazing. I’ve only got one UHD disk which looked nice but the big improvement is with Blu-ray upscaling and even mkv upscale from NAS. I nearly went Oppo but the cost for Dolby Vision that I can’t see anyway didn’t seem worth it.

Question about the Blu-ray upscaling on this compared to the Panasonic 400, is it better than the Panasonic or similar to it?. I ask as I have been told by a retailer that the Sony is better.

In my opinion, software DV update (at least known as working one) is not possible at all. There must be also the hardware upgrade of some sort. Sony promised to issue the patch for their 93xx and 94xx, ZD9 and OLED TVs. My opinion, it won`t be a proper DV, just the adaptation to support DV source materials. This fact can be proved by the LG which quickly got rid of software DV update for UP 970.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I hope am not getting off topic , looking at the Sony UBP-X800 player does it play all zones ?
Or would I need to buy a special version of this player ? Or a different model than the X800 ?
What I need is a player to play all zones/ Regions Thank you from frustrated Samsung
UBD-K 8500 owner.

Ex works, all players are region and zone specific for BD and DVD. UHD discs are not region coded. To play out-of-region BDs and DVDs you will need a modification. BDs specifically need a hardware mod which adds around GBP100 to the price. I haven't seen any mention anywhere of a (usually much cheaper/easier) DVD-only region modification for this particular box.

Just about to jump in for one when I read on a review site who's name I've forgotten,that the upscaling was a weak area compared to the oppos ( DV aside)
Anyone got any thoughts ?

Yeah, don't use it then! Use your TV's upscaling instead. All good.

Is it possible to play a uhd disc with Dolby Atmos soundtrack while connected to an Arcam avr390 receiver and Epson 1080p projector?
It is annoying that Dolby Atmos soundtrack is usually only on 4K disc and not 1080p disc.

Is it possible to play a uhd disc with Dolby Atmos soundtrack while connected to an Arcam avr390 receiver and Epson 1080p projector?
It is annoying that Dolby Atmos soundtrack is usually only on 4K disc and not 1080p disc.
James, I am using an Epson 1080P projector with a Denon 7200WA receiver which will decode Dolby Atmos, just can’t get the benefit of 4k at this time. Not sure whether your Arcam will decode the new formats?

James, I am using an Epson 1080P projector with a Denon 7200WA receiver which will decode Dolby Atmos, just can’t get the benefit of 4k at this time. Not sure whether your Arcam will decode the new formats?
Thanks for the reply, the Arcam avr390 is a new model with Dolby Atmos decoding so I know the receiver won’t be an issue. My question was probably not very clear - I want to know if the 4K Blu-ray player playing the 4K disc version (to access Dolby Atmos soundtrack) will downscale the 4K picture so that the Epson 1080p projector can display it? If it will them I can buy the 4K player and use it as described, if not then I will need to wait until I get a 4K projector.

I bought the Sony x800 for this very same purpose. Checked before I bought though:smashin:

I got a Keene IR extender but it very rarely works with the X800. Anyone else having issues with IR extender or can they recommend a better system?

One of the things that I looked into whilst I was still considering this player was control. I haven't tested it but it is suggested that IP control works in the same way as previous Sony ES players. Should certainly be more reliable that IR if nothing else.

Many thanks,

Anthony.

Guys, I need your help please. I’m thinking of buying this Player but I’m just a little confused regarding the 2 HDMI outputs.
I have a Sony 55 KD X850C TV which I’m happy with and believe supports 4K HDR. What I’m not too sure about is my amp, I have an Onkyo TX-SR508. I currently run a HDMI from my current BD player to the amp. What I’d like to know is, will I get full quality of sound intended if a play a UHD Disc?
I think the amp supports 1.4 on the HDMI ports.
When playing a BD on my older player I do get True HD sound quality.
Thanks very much in advance.

Guys, I need your help please. I’m thinking of buying this Player but I’m just a little confused regarding the 2 HDMI outputs.
I have a Sony 55 KD X850C TV which I’m happy with and believe supports 4K HDR. What I’m not too sure about is my amp, I have an Onkyo TX-SR508. I currently run a HDMI from my current BD player to the amp. What I’d like to know is, will I get full quality of sound intended if a play a UHD Disc?
I think the amp supports 1.4 on the HDMI ports.
When playing a BD on my older player I do get True HD sound quality.
Thanks very much in advance.
You would have to use one HDMI from X800 -->TV and one HDMI X800--> SR508 as the receiver can't passthrough UHD (it would need HDMI V2 ports to do this)
Also your SR508 doesn't seem to support Atmos/DTS-X so you would be limited to the core soundtracks (usually True HD or DTS HD).

Thank doug56hl for the prompt reply. So what your saying is to use both HDMI out's on the X800, and connect one to a spare HDMI on the TV and the other to the Onkyo Receiver? Does it matter which one goes to where from the X800. By doing the above can i assume i'll get a 4k picture but not Atmos/DTS-X sound when watching a disc through the receiver?

Thanks again for your understanding.

Thank doug56hl for the prompt reply. So what your saying is to use both HDMI out's on the X800, and connect one to a spare HDMI on the TV and the other to the Onkyo Receiver? Does it matter which one goes to where from the X800. By doing the above can i assume i'll get a 4k picture but not Atmos/DTS-X sound when watching a disc through the receiver?

Thanks again for your understanding.
Yes
Yes. There is a main HDMI which passes 4K and audio and another HMDI which is for audio. The manual will show which ones to use for this.
Yes, no atmos/DTS-X (unless the receiver added this via firmware update and this isn't showing on the product page for it).

Thanks for the confirmation.

It says in the review that this player "is capable of decoding both 5.1 and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio into multichannel PCM so, if you have an older receiver that doesn’t support the lossless audio formats, that’s good news."

My very old receiver can't decode the lossless formats, but I haven't managed to get the X800 to decode dts-HD MA and send the sound on to my receiver. I guess there are some settings in the X800 that I need to change... any ideas where to look?

(Edited for clarity...)

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if this player can stream mkvs from a nas and supports atmos / dts-x playback for the same content?

I wonder if this player will get a firmare update for Dolby Vision now, seeing as Sony's newer player ( X700. ) will later this year.

I wonder if this player will get a firmare update for Dolby Vision now, seeing as Sony's newer player ( X700. ) will later this year.
I believe Vincent hdtvtest got a categoric NO from Sony but hoping like you someone has better news/Intel.
X800 seems way better than X700 especially quality of build.

I believe Vincent hdtvtest got a categoric NO from Sony but hoping like you someone has better news/Intel.
X800 seems way better than X700 especially quality of build.
No AFAIK. It doesn't have the required chipset.
Can't remember where in the forums but I believe Steve Withers made this point some time ago (like last summer). Just found it in the avforums review: "the X800 wouldn't and couldn't support Dolby Vision....the development of the X800 was too far along for such a significant change that would require a different chipset".

Same point also made by him in post #3 and #5 on Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Last edited:
In that case, the Panasonic DP-UB820 (with hdr10+ and DV) seems to be a better option versus Sony X700 or more expensive pana big brother
Of course, this assume the dv profile works with Sony X1 extreme....hmmmmm

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom