Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Question, has anyone tried to play video through the secondary 1.4 port? I am keen to replace my BD player for my Projector and my 4K TV but the projector is not 4K and would need to use both ports. One to the TV and the other to the PJ.
My AVR has 2 HDMI outs but only 1 is 4K2K at only 30hz and not 60hz. I don't think there is a perfect solution. The Panasonic UB900's 2nd HDMI OUT can be used for video as per Steve's review a couple of years back but its £300 and 2 year old kit. Given I have just got an 55MU7000 I am thinking to get the M9500 for ease of use.
If you don't already have a player, the Panasonic two HDMI players can output audio and video on the 2nd port, HDMI V1.4 only. No 3D/no 4K

Got bought this for Xmas is there any word on if they will update to Dolby vision or not on this model. Don't want to have to swap it out for the x700 if I can avoid it to get dv

X700 doesn't have DV either :(

Boo hiss! Mine's the X800. I want DV! :(

I have just set up my new X800 in combination with my Keene ir extender. I have the emitter stuck to the rh side of the ir receiver on the usb cover of the X800. The Keene ir receiver is across the other side of the room below my pj screen. My problem is that although the emitter flashes when I point the remote at the screen/receiver the X800 is struggling to pick up the signal. Sometimes it responds to the remote and sometimes it does not. I think the issue may be that the the Sony’s ir receiver is behind the disc tray flap. I don’t want to site the emitter on the face of the flap as I am worried it will affect its function. Has anyone else had this problem and overcome it.?

Anyone know if this can play Region A BDs?
Or can it be unlocked to do so?

I've got one purchased here in Australia it's region locked but can be modded it costs,$170 here check out gattiweb.com.au he sells them and other brands already done but he'll mod yours if you already own one, don't know where your based but yes can be unlocked

Anyone know if this can play Region A BDs?
Or can it be unlocked to do so?
Requires a hardware modification. Search ICOS for information. Expect to pay a touch over GBP100.

Just bought one of these to go with my Sony bravos ex7073 TV and I'm very impressed with it however it appears you can't start the TV's picture settings when it's on,almost like a TV app...any advice please?

How does the sony x800 run as a mkv 4k file player from a hard disk connected to the usb socket? you see better than on the player integrated in smart TV such as the LG OLED B6V?

How does the sony x800 run as a mkv 4k file player from a hard disk connected to the usb socket? you see better than on the player integrated in smart TV such as the LG OLED B6V?
Not tried it on mine but from memory Sont don’t like playing MKVs as it’s considered a pirates format. Normally I’d either get no picture or picture with no sound.

Just bought one of these to go with my Sony bravos ex7073 TV and I'm very impressed with it however it appears you can't start the TV's picture settings when it's on,almost like a TV app...any advice please?
Not tried really as when I first got mine I set it up for no picture processing. What are you trying to do

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.
I own a X800, but may want to upgrade to M2 for the Dolby Vision.
Or should I go for the X700 instead?

Also it's currently setup with KD-55XG9505 that support Dolby Vision and Atmos and a ZF9 soundbar from Sony.

My desk room / mancave will get my older X800 when I decide to upgrade.
It's setup with a KD-49XE9005 and XF9000 soundbar from Sony.

Thanks for all advises and info!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.
I own a X800, but may want to upgrade to M2 for the Dolby Vision.
Or should I go for the X700 instead?

Also it's currently setup with KD-55XG9505 that support Dolby Vision and Atmos and a ZF9 soundbar from Sony.

My desk room / mancave will get my older X800 when I decide to upgrade.
It's setup with a KD-49XE9005 and XF9000 soundbar from Sony.

Thanks for all advises and info!
If you've got the money go for an X800M2 if Sony is your preferred brand. The X700 is built like something that comes free with a packet of Tesco Value cornflakes by comparision.

Once you get over the flimsy build of it, performance seems OK. I've never had a problem with mine although some others do mention playback issues. Mine gets little use now as I prefer using my Panasonic UB820 for UHDs.

If you've got the money go for an X800M2 if Sony is your preferred brand. The X700 is built like something that comes free with a packet of Tesco Value cornflakes by comparision.

Once you get over the flimsy build of it, performance seems OK. I've never had a problem with mine although some others do mention playback issues. Mine gets little use now as I prefer using my Panasonic UB820 for UHDs.

Thanks for the reply!

I once was a Panasonic fan, but the last decade I choose to go with Sony. Especially for the color and motion quality on their screens. 😊

Last edited:

I chose to go for X800M2 and went to the store for it.

I only did a few tests with Dolby Vision 4K discs and the results were just amazing, so I decided to watch John Wick 3 again. One thing I noticed is that John Wick did not indicate Dolby Vision from the source on 4K Blu-ray (steelbox edition), yet Dolby Vision was enabled, the result is beautiful. I thought when looking on the internet and different places that John Wick 3 had Dolby Vision from the 4K disc, but apparently not.

Can someone explain why this is?

I chose to go for X800M2 and went to the store for it.

I only did a few tests with Dolby Vision 4K discs and the results were just amazing, so I decided to watch John Wick 3 again. One thing I noticed is that John Wick did not indicate Dolby Vision from the source on 4K Blu-ray (steelbox edition), yet Dolby Vision was enabled, the result is beautiful. I thought when looking on the internet and different places that John Wick 3 had Dolby Vision from the 4K disc, but apparently not.

Can someone explain why this is?
My UK John Wick 3 (not steelbook) has Dolby Vision so don't know what is happening here. Maybe the Belgium one doesn't (although usually all the European ones are the same, it's only the USA vs Euro ones which sometimes differ).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom