Sony ubp-x800. Atmos 4k discs

dmartinburns

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve just bought the Sony UBP-x800 to compliment my new Panasonic
Oled tv. Sound is via an Arcam avr550. I note that when playing a Dolby Atmos disc, the sound format displayed on the amp shows ‘PCM 3/4.1 +Dolby surround’. I expected it to show Atmos as it always did before when playing such discs via my Cambridge 751 bd. Anyone any idea why it isn’t?
Thanks

Have you configured the player to output bitstream. That is the only way you will get Atmos.

Have you configured the player to output bitstream. That is the only way you will get Atmos.
Also required is to set BD secondary Audio OFF
To enjoy Bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals, set [BD Secondary Audio] to [Off] and [Digital Audio
Output] to [Auto].

Ah. Sorted it now! Thanks gibbsy and doug.

Can anyone kindly guide me as refers to the following extract from the review of the Sony ubp x800? I cannot seem to find exactly where in the setup menus I turn this feature on!

“The performance is impressive and one useful feature of Sony players is that they are able to dynamically adjust the output signal based on the framerate of the content, so a 24/23.976 frames per second (fps) series or movie will be sent at 24Hz and anything at 30 fps at 60Hz. As a result playback will be as smooth and film-like as possible, although you will need to make sure you enable this feature in the Settings Menu as it’s off by default”.

Many thanks.

Can anyone kindly guide me as refers to the following extract from the review of the Sony ubp x800? I cannot seem to find exactly where in the setup menus I turn this feature on!

“The performance is impressive and one useful feature of Sony players is that they are able to dynamically adjust the output signal based on the framerate of the content, so a 24/23.976 frames per second (fps) series or movie will be sent at 24Hz and anything at 30 fps at 60Hz. As a result playback will be as smooth and film-like as possible, although you will need to make sure you enable this feature in the Settings Menu as it’s off by default”.

Many thanks.
Screen settings / 24p Output

Thanks Doug.

I've got a similar combo and whilst they look and sound great I don't find the menu options on the player or the amp intuitive.

Heartily agree. It doesn’t help that I love my music and home cinema, but am something of a technophobe!

Heartily agree. It doesn’t help that I love my music and home cinema, but am something of a technophobe!
You've got one of the best receivers for music in the stereo domain. The Spendors don't go that deep so do you use the sub? Personally I'm not a bass head so as long as the bass if well controlled and I can hear the notes I'm happy with just fronts for stereo.

Yes, the Arcam is a lovely sounding amp. I don’t use a sub, as at present my house is terraced and I don’t want to upset the neighbours too much. I do own a powered sub and will probably get it integrated into the system when we eventually move to a detached home in the West Country. At present I don’t really miss having the sub at all.

It's good that your thinking of your neighbour. I live in a modern terraced house with neighbours and use a sub. My neighbour enjoys a good war film as much as I do.;)

Joking aside as I live on a mountain side the neighbours house is higher than ours and the party wall is extremely thick and made of high density block. I've been in there will my kit going for throttle and you can't hear a thing.

You do miss a lot, especially with film, if you don't use a sub as you lose a lot of the information contained within the LFE channel. Those loud explosions that are likely to upset the neighbours. Also with a good 5.1 mix on video concerts or SACD the .1 channel can really help underpin the music.

Thanks gibbsy. It’s my intention to get the whole system, sub included, professionally installed and new Dirac settings calibrated when we eventually move to a detached house in the West Country.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom