Sony VPL-HW45ES Projector Owners Thread

I’d set it the same as the source material else you invariably WILL get judder. If playing a 24hz film have it at 24hz, if 50hz material set it at 50hz. Oppo players have a setting called source direct so they do this automatically. Other players may also but it’ll be player specific. Things like Plex and Kodi can also do this auto switching, well they do on my nVidia.

I’d set it the same as the source material else you invariably WILL get judder. If playing a 24hz film have it at 24hz, if 50hz material set it at 50hz. Oppo players have a setting called source direct so they do this automatically. Other players may also but it’ll be player specific. Things like Plex and Kodi can also do this auto switching, well they do on my nVidia.
My LG UHD player has separate 24Hz and 60Hz options. Can you give me an example of when to switch to 60Hz? I only watch blurays, Netflix and a few other streaming channels for movies and sports. No cable or sat TV.

What you have to remember when looking at dedicated home cinema projectors and one's from a manufacturers budget series is that they usually have better image rendering processors.

You cannot really compare the 5300 against the 7300 and yes, the 7300 has a very small amount of judder with complex movie rendering, it's not what I would call detrimental to its performance at the price point

The DLP's mentioned above will also create an amount of judder, again they should be better than the Epson's because of the nature of the DLP vs LCD technology, but again, that still shouldn't make you discard the 7300 as it's not enough to give it that much of an X mark.

Because you are mentioning judder, Can I ask what player you are using? Usually all projector outperform TV's on movement, they also tend to look a little bit more realist. TV's are also designed to be forgiving and have been designed to smooth over image imperfections whereas projectors are trying to be faithful to the reproduction which included all the imperfections too. I have a sneaky feeling that some of the juddering was down to the source, i.e. player, digital broadcasting device etc, etc...

Regards, Shane.
My Player is Xbox one s or med8er media player .playing on the zd9 tv all ok but 5300 i see judder

Hi guys,
Have had my 40es for about 3 years now. I like to switch between watching on my screen and just the wall for a reduced size. Lately, the lensshift no longer works. Both vertically and horizontally. When I turn the dial. Not hi g happens. Also, seems to effect my focus range.. Anyone know how I can fix this?
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Joe

@Ulysses191 contact Sony support for advice,seems like internal plastic adjustment cogs need new teeth /replaced good luck..

Not posted here for a wee while ,my Sony 45 is still doing great
have added a DarbeeVision DVP5000S HDMI Video Processor into the mix (bargain £50 from gumtree)
Seems to reveal more details and highlights it works from 1 to 120 number selection ,using high def 50 on screenshot.
My photography skills are not that great but in person this little gadget has made
this projector shine even more.

apocalypto | FrameCompare.com

darbee ontop of 45.JPG

Don't know how or why people run their Darbees so high. I use only 20-25% for subtle enhancement that seems true to the original but does remove some haze and give an apparent detail boost that will tide me over until Sony/,JVC UHD projectors are more affordable.

Turned on my 45 tonight and noticed vertical lines on the screen with every source and through both HDMI inputs.

D5B7704F-AE9F-44C8-8E2A-8EFE642BF3B8.jpeg

856539FC-1297-4FB8-BC84-D439136F30C9.jpeg

I rigged up a new HDMI cable just to see if that would help but no joy.

Any ideas ?

Not good, are you feeding all hdmi cables into an amp or a switch controller?
then out to projector,
maybe you can try single hdmi cable from source direct into projector .

Last edited:
The photos are from the blu ray player direct to HDMI 1 even after I swapped out the cable for a new one.

It also shows with the other sources through the amp and into HDMI 2.

This has to be one of the most impressive 1080p around for picture quality.

Avengers Infinity Wars
pu17qo.jpg

6rqE7F.jpg

Prometheus
42POEr.jpg

Deadpool 2
BGV2H9.jpg

Oblivion
rmdzv7.jpg

Last edited:
What are other setting your audio delay to on you AVR/AVP for movies? I have found around 100 to 120 ms delay on my Emotiva UMC-200 prepro sinks up the lip sink perfectly.

What are other setting your audio delay to on you AVR/AVP for movies? I have found around 100 to 120 ms delay on my Emotiva UMC-200 prepro sinks up the lip sink perfectly.

I’ve taken my AVR off auto lip/sic and set my delay to 40ms which seems to be perfect. On auto it was 104ms.

I have a Sony vpl-hw45es, 2y 2m old, 1750h lamp usage which has developed a strange fault: poor contrast, washed out picture and light spreading outside the image. I have tried any combination of settings and resets, but it seems a hardware fault in the light path.

Any ideas?

@AVgulag

I would clean air filter. [remove foam strip,clean with warm water and air dry]
and then remove lamp ,clean filters at sides.
While your are in the 45 , I would vacuum carefully internal fans, you can access inside by going into lamp housing of projector. and finally go around vacuum dusting external vents of the 45s casing.

@AVgulag

I would clean air filter. [remove foam strip,clean with warm water and air dry]
and then remove lamp ,clean filters at sides.
While your are in the 45 , I would vacuum carefully internal fans, you can access inside by going into lamp housing of projector. and finally go around vacuum dusting external vents of the 45s casing.

Thank you. I had already cleaned the filter but not hoovered inside. It is pretty clean in there to be fair. It sadly made no difference and it’s now a warranty discussion with Sony as it came with a long warranty from Richer Sounds.

Thank you. I had already cleaned the filter but not hoovered inside. It is pretty clean in there to be fair. It sadly made no difference and it’s now a warranty discussion with Sony as it came with a long warranty from Richer Sounds.
I hope the problem will be solved soon for you.

Hi all,

I am not experienced with projectors so it's likely this is a dumb question but I appreciate any direction...

I just connected my new VPL-HW45 but it can't settle on a picture. It shows snow then black screen then snow then black screen, etc.

I've tried connecting both to my DVD player as well as my laptop via HDMI and the result is the same.

What am I missing here?

Thx!

Warcraft
lIWLol.jpg

ECseJJ.jpg

Player One
wRA7b8.jpg

WestWorld
8UryBS.jpg

Currently for sale For Sale - Sony VPL-HW45es for sale

This looks like a great projector. No rainbows, chickenwire, dust or noise to worry about. Im very interested in buying one but it's over 3 years old now. Is there a replacement on the horizon as I can't bring myself to buy such an old machine and find a new replacement announced a couple of months down the line?

Though I still have the Sony it’s actually in storage. It is an excellent machine it truly is and if you can pick one up secondhand you should jump at one, buying new I honestly don’t know if Sony will replace it as the market is moving more and more to 4K which is why I would be a bit hesitant to buy new. I had mine for around a grand and I suppose if someone was to offer around that money I would let it go.

in my opinion it’s one of the best 1080p projectors out there.

I'm not sure I would buy second hand. I see them as high wear and tear items with too many potentially expensive issue. Buying new with RS 6 year warranty is very reassuring. 3rd hand for a grand isn't.

If a new one is due soon, and at 3 1/2 years old it I'll be surprised if it's not, then this could be heavily reduced anyway.

... the “ new ones” are the 4k range

it’s not like Sony / Epsom / JVC are making new 1080p projectors any more

I'm not sure I would buy second hand. I see them as high wear and tear items with too many potentially expensive issue. Buying new with RS 6 year warranty is very reassuring. 3rd hand for a grand isn't.

If a new one is due soon, and at 3 1/2 years old it I'll be surprised if it's not, then this could be heavily reduced anyway.

Do what you feel is best, I’ve given my opinion and it’s up to the individual to decide what they think is the right move.

... the “ new ones” are the 4k range

it’s not like Sony / Epsom / JVC are making new 1080p projectors any more

The new ones start at around £5000. Surely they're not intended to replace a £1800 projector?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom