Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones introduced - news discussion

Any idea if you can keep Bluetooth on but noise cancelling off? An absolute must for me as noise cancelling can be really dodgy on trains and when walking. Plus it does degrade sound quality, and it's nice to be able to have extended battery life

Any idea if you can keep Bluetooth on but noise cancelling off? An absolute must for me as noise cancelling can be really dodgy on trains and when walking. Plus it does degrade sound quality, and it's nice to be able to have extended battery life
I have the MX2's and you can on that so don't see why not

Let’s hope their new wireless headphones can get over the 2 second audio lag while watching YouTube content.
Just purchased their WF-SP7000N wireless buds and for music they are fantastic, for video, not so much, audio lag is terrible and yet it’s not a fault (although my cheap wireless set have no issue).

Just purchased their WF-SP7000N wireless buds and for music they are fantastic, for video, not so much, audio lag is terrible and yet it’s not a fault (although my cheap wireless set have no issue).

They lack apt-x which would probably have lessened or eliminated lag.

I'm currently considering whether to add another Noise Canceling headset to the "collection", the only CON I've identified to so far comparing with the Bose QC 35 II's is that the Sony only have one BT Pairing slot, is that still true or have they added another?

Last edited:
I'm currently considering whether to add another Noise Canceling headset to the "collection", the only CON I've identified to so far comparing with the Bose QC 35 II's is that the Sony only have one BT reciever, is that still true or have they added another?

What do you mean by “one BT receiver”?
All BT headphones have BT built-in.

Let’s hope their new wireless headphones can get over the 2 second audio lag while watching YouTube content.

Yes, audio lag is a problem, especially watching TV. I've found the solution is to use a LL (low latency) transmitter witb headphones that support LL Bluetooth.
I currently use an Avantree txer connected to a split optical output (the other split going to my hifi) with Plantronics headphones which are LL compatible. Using the Avantree high power Bluetooth transmitter means I can walk all around the house and down the garden without any dropouts.
I don't know if Sony headphone support LL though.

Yes, audio lag is a problem, especially watching TV. I've found the solution is to use a LL (low latency) transmitter witb headphones that support LL Bluetooth.
I currently use an Avantree txer connected to a split optical output (the other split going to my hifi) with Plantronics headphones which are LL compatible. Using the Avantree high power Bluetooth transmitter means I can walk all around the house and down the garden without any dropouts.
I don't know if Sony headphone support LL though.
I exchanged for some Jabra 65t’s.
Now I realise they are true wireless v wireless in this thread, but even though most reviews state no sync issues, they suffer the same.
Mainly YouTube app on phones.
Annoying.
I see sennheisser are launching true wireless bud with apt-x, Bluetooth 5 usb c in November but at £299. At twice the price of the Sony/Jabra its a lot to pay for YouTube :)
Edit : it the YouTube phone app, just watched Phil’s IFA video, embedded within browser and no sync issues at all!

Last edited:
What do you mean by “one BT receiver”?
All BT headphones have BT built-in.

I ment two pairing slots, one active / passive, so you're able to connect to two devices at once but only have one active. It's quite useful in a Laptop / Phone scenario, where you are working with audio on the laptop and then you receive a call where you can take the call, talk and then return to the audio on the laptop. This is very important to me.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I just purchased the 1000XM2 last week on sale for £249, still unopened.

Now debating whether to return them and purchase the M3 or save myself £80 and stick with the M2s.

Other than USB-C and increased NC does the M3 offer much more over the M2s?

I imagine that like the M1 and M2 the M3 are likely to have some promotions and end up close to the £290 mark within the first 3 months of sale, which would make them a far better purchase than the M2s...

I just purchased the 1000XM2 last week on sale for £249, still unopened.

Now debating whether to return them and purchase the M3 or save myself £80 and stick with the M2s.

Other than USB-C and increased NC does the M3 offer much more over the M2s?

I imagine that like the M1 and M2 the M3 are likely to have some promotions and end up close to the £290 mark within the first 3 months of sale, which would make them a far better purchase than the M2s...

I asked myself the same question. I had used the XM2's for a few short'ish sessions and found them a little hot and uncomfortable. Though the NC and sound quality was amazing. Decided i'd rather spend a bit extra (at this price point) and get something that sound like the materials and construction have improved and will be more comfortable.

If you can get a retailer refund and swap out to the newer version, even if it means making up the £ difference, it 'could' still be financially worth it because from this point the older models will only continue to depreciate

If you are an infrequent user of noise cancelling cans then perhaps hold off on tech lust and wait another year. In 2018 the wireless earphone / headphone market is fragmented because headphone manufacturers are guessing as to the trends with smartphone hardware and other hardware, so there is large variation with which wireless codec to use, BT4 or BT5, do we support a voice assistant and so on. Although in 2019 - 2020 the improvements should be more apparent with wireless earbuds rather than full size wireless

Cheers

Hi all.

I had a quick demo of these today and did not find them that good, the reason been that they where way to base heavy compared to my headset.

The base just overrides the music and you lose detail in the music is there a way to lower the base with the app on an iOS device ?

If so is there a way to do this when trying them out. I am used to iem headsets so wanted a wireless and noise cancelation set to replace them but I just don't understand how these get good sound reviews when the base kill the music as it's overpowering.

Thanks

I doubt it's the headphones.
If you're more used to using IEM's it stands to reason any over-ear headphones are going to sound more bassy.
I've got the original MDR-1000X's and I can assure you the bass isn't over-powering and there's plenty of detail in the mid and upper ranges especially when used in wired mode and powered on. They're a little more bassy when used in Bluetooth wireless mode but that's normal for most Bluetooth headphones I find.
The MK2 (and now MK3's) still get great reviews from the usual websites and I have no reason to doubt them.

Hi all.

I had a quick demo of these today and did not find them that good, the reason been that they where way to base heavy compared to my headset.

The base just overrides the music and you lose detail in the music is there a way to lower the base with the app on an iOS device ?

If so is there a way to do this when trying them out. I am used to iem headsets so wanted a wireless and noise cancelation set to replace them but I just don't understand how these get good sound reviews when the base kill the music as it's overpowering.

Thanks

If you download the Sony app in advance then you can pair with the headphones in the store (using bluetooth). Just hold down the power button to get them in pairing mode. You can then control the noise cancelling and also tone/treble/bass whilst testing them. There's a few other things you can tweak in the app which are pretty cool.

Thanks.

If you change the settings does the headset save them or the phone, as if you plug them into a different device I was wondering if they use the same profile that does not use the app.

Thanks

Thanks.

If you change the settings does the headset save them or the phone, as if you plug them into a different device I was wondering if they use the same profile that does not use the app.

Thanks

The headset should remember it's settings regardless of which device it is connected to.

Hi all

I want to buy these for my dad who is chair bound so he can listen to his Audio Book CD collection however I can not find a compact CD player that outputs Wireless Bluetooth sound. He wants the wireless feature because he hates cables and if possible would rather avoid a transmitter.

Any ideas for around the £100 mark?

Thanks

Amazon UK now have these at £296.99 or interest free at £59 per month for 5 months.
I've just ordered them to compare against my MDR-1000's

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom