Sony X950H firmware on 950g (Warning, possible warranty breach)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• JPEG-afbeelding.jpeg
    JPEG-afbeelding.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Thanx Hs73,
Just installed XH 6.4774 via USB on my XG-9505 everything went fine, no probs whatsoever...
No need for reset, went from 6.4770 to 6.4774
I think the black bars are a litel more black.
After uppdate
Dont you think?

I think the black bars are a litel more black.
After uppdate
Dont you think?

So do you think leaving auto update on would be safe and work if your 950G model has the H firmware?
Also, I thought someone says the "special" G firmware had the newer menus.

I just want to know if there's any drawbacks to using the H firmware on the 950G as I'd like to update the TV and see if newer firnware improves anything. I can't check eArc right now so don't want to use the H if the G firmware addressed that problem better.

Decisions 🥴

So do you think leaving auto update on would be safe and work if your 950G model has the H firmware?
Also, I thought someone says the "special" G firmware had the newer menus.

I just want to know if there's any drawbacks to using the H firmware on the 950G as I'd like to update the TV and see if newer firnware improves anything. I can't check eArc right now so don't want to use the H if the G firmware addressed that problem better.

Decisions 🥴
Hi,

Everything is better on the H.
Just go man 🙂

Hi,

Everything is better on the H.
Just go man 🙂
Hey I am installing most recent 950H software. Unzipping the first one than putting the zip file inside the one i unzip onto usb(brand new) It keeps saying cannot update software using my USB. Please help man.

Hey I am installing most recent 950H software. Unzipping the first one than putting the zip file inside the one i unzip onto usb(brand new) It keeps saying cannot update software using my USB. Please help man.
Try another usb stick.
Take out order devices like bdp from usb.in tv
Sometimes you need to power off restart om remote.

I've only updated once (not this XH to XG file though) via USB and it needed to be completely blank of anything other than the update file and you have to make sure it's definitely the correct file you transfer over to the USB. It should say on the Sony site exactly how to identify the correct file.

Can you update G from 6 3632 to V6 4774 downloaded the 4774 file extracted it, put on to USB stick newly formatted to FAT 32 so empty, put in tv, says i have inserted a stick do i want to read it with media etc, can open it, it says it has android app on it, but nothing happens, can you not go from 3632 to 4774.

cheers Chris

Hi has this tv had its HDMI 2.1 features firmware update yet?

Hi has this tv had its HDMI 2.1 features firmware update yet?

It's not due to get any. The odd person claiming to be "in the know" reckons the XG95 and XH95 have the hardware to do it, but Sony have never said they will get HDMI 2.1 just the XH9005.

Can you update G from 6 3632 to V6 4774 downloaded the 4774 file extracted it, put on to USB stick newly formatted to FAT 32 so empty, put in tv, says i have inserted a stick do i want to read it with media etc, can open it, it says it has android app on it, but nothing happens, can you not go from 3632 to 4774.

cheers Chris

Having carried out the entire update process, to the letter, we have come to the conclusion, after 3 days of testing various things on your TV, in particular, it has not been possible to complete the firmware update process. The process recognises the USB stick but does not see any files on it, be it 3632 or 4774 firmware versions.

As you know we have made sure that your laptop is running okay, the various Sans disk's we have used are working correctly and are genuine, the remote for your TV is working correctly, the firmware files are correct and are confirmed good by the file checksum.

The above in mind it could be a problem with the TV itself, though we have carried out a factory reset and this still has not allowed the firmware upgrade to 4774 to install.

As you know I have discussed the issue with Sony, who have been unable to help and with whom you have no contract. save warranty.

Richer Sounds have suggested they will honour your warranty and have given you the go ahead to install 4774 on the TV. It is interesting though they have not confirmed the process by which you could do so.

If anyone has any suggestions then I am willing to check them out with, or for you. Failing that you need to further discuss this issue with Richer Sounds as they are the company you bought from and with whom you have an contract of sale. Under the distance selling rules you informed Richer Sounds on the 3rd day after purchase of having the problem and the fact the update process would not work. The clock was set at that date and cannot be altered or refuted by anyone concerned.

Hope this all has helped, meantime please let us know if you need any more help or how you get on with Richer Sounds and this issue.

It doesn't matter if the USB stick is empty or not. You should have the update in .zip-format on the root. Do not unpack the whole folder structure to the stick. Some of the downloadables are packed twice for some reason i.e. download a zip -file from Sony and there is another .zip file inside (unpack and use that). Some of the updates are not, just copy that .zip to stick. TV does the unpacking of the "last" .zip-file.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if the USB stick is empty or not. You should have the update in .zip-format on the root. Do not unpack the whole folder structure to the stick. Some of the downloadables are packed twice for some reason i.e. download a zip -file from Sony and there is another .zip file inside (unpack and use that). Some of the updates are not, just copy that .zip to stick. TV does the unpacking of the "last" .zip-file.

So that you understand.

We have done everything several times over and carried out the process using different USB sticks, the 2 ports on the TV and using the exact same process as per Sony's documented process, including the steps you mention. It does not work, end of.

If you have the process you claim you know works then please share it so we can all benefit. But please also spell it out. Your words " Some of the updates are not, just copy that .zip to stick". appear to be unfinished! Are not what?

If you have the process you claim you know works then please share it so we can all benefit. But please also spell it out. Your words " Some of the updates are not, just copy that .zip to stick". appear to be unfinished! Are not what?

...Are not zipped/packed twice (when you extract the file you downloaded from Sony there isn't another zip-file inside again) and is usable as such. Sometimes there is and you have to unpack it (and you get a folder with another .zip to use. revision x4774 had it like this). Simply put, copy the zip-file in to USB, not the unpacked folder with all the files. Only one .zip -file to USB. This is not an answer just for you (maybe it works). Others have had problems with this as well.

Last edited:
...Are not zipped/packed twice (when you extract the file you downloaded from Sony there isn't another zip-file inside again) and is usable as such. Sometimes there is and you have to unpack it (and you get a folder with another .zip to use. revision x4774 had it like this). Simply put, copy the zip-file in to USB, not the unpacked folder with all the files. Only one .zip -file to USB. This is not an answer just for you (maybe it works). Others have had problems with this as well.

Indeed they have. It does not work no matter what you do, even with the correct procedure with regard to the zip's inside zip's, end of.

Based on the above have Sony put an end to updating the XG95 with the XH95 firmware then?

Based on the above have Sony put an end to updating the XG95 with the XH95 firmware then?

If you speak to Sony technical support directly they will come out with the line "if you do that then your warranty will be null and void". So my guess is yes they've headed of that ability, and if you think about it, why wouldn't they, as they really want you to but a new TV, on which they have 4774 firmware installed, hence the XH95, about £300 more expensive than the XG95. If they allow you to put it on the XG95 there would be little or no need for you to buy the XH95.

I've had issues updating my XG in the past no matter what I did, in the end it worked after I'd left the USB with the firmware on it plugged into TV and forgot about it. Used TV as normal, turned power off at the wall and the next day when I turned TV on it picked up the update on the USB. The update process for me wasn't an exact science but luck :D

Sony may well have implemented a change to stop XG owners installing XH firmware or it could just be your TVs a **** :facepalm::rotfl:

I've had issues updating my XG in the past no matter what I did, in the end it worked after I'd left the USB with the firmware on it plugged into TV and forgot about it. Used TV as normal, turned power off at the wall and the next day when I turned TV on it picked up the update on the USB. The update process for me wasn't an exact science but luck :D

Sony may well have implemented a change to stop XG owners installing XH firmware or it could just be your TVs a **** :facepalm::rotfl:

Yes definitely more miss than hit. I assume your success was 4774 (XH) firmware update?
How long ago was this?

Last edited:
Yes definitely more miss than hit. I assume your success was 4774 (XH) firmware update?
How long ago was this?
I'd have to check my posting history but it was over 2 months ago when I updated my XG. I updated to the 6.4770 firmware when it was first released on website and confirmed working.

I'd have to check my posting history but it was over 2 months ago when I updated my XG. I updated to the 6.4770 firmware when it was first released on website and confirmed working.

That would be good if you could please, as I think what Sony have done has been done in their latest update release and therefor probably post your update, you lucky lucky guy :lesson:

Reading between the lines they have also played around with eARC function which has now also prevented the TV from connecting to an external amp with that capability. Again no matter what you try/do they will not speak to each other. Sony have seemingly admitted this problem being due to their latest firmware fix on 3632, in which I believe they removed the ability for the XG to update to 4774.

I have just realised you talk of 4770, not 4774. Do you by chance still have a download of that firmware somewhere on a PC?

That would be good if you could please, as I think what Sony have done has been done in their latest update release and therefor probably post your update, you lucky lucky guy :lesson:

Reading between the lines they have also played around with eARC function which has now also prevented the TV from connecting to an external amp with that capability. Again no matter what you try/do they will not speak to each other. Sony have seemingly admitted this problem being due to their latest firmware fix on 3632, in which I believe they removed the ability for the XG to update to 4774.

I have just realised you talk of 4770, not 4774. Do you by chance still have a download of that firmware somewhere on a PC?
I can check when I get home if it's still on the USB stick I used. I doubt it's on my PC, I did a disk cleanup last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom