Sony X950H firmware on 950g (Warning, possible warranty breach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just update to the firmware 6.4775. It is currently available for the Z8H, but is compatible with the X950G and X950H. I discovered this first, and have let several people know who have already updated. The firmware is completely safe for the X950G and X950H, and is the update from 6.4770/6.4774. It improves local dimming, black levels, and color accuracy even further.

Just update to the firmware 6.4775. It is currently available for the Z8H, but is compatible with the X950G and X950H. I discovered this first, and have let several people know who have already updated. The firmware is completely safe for the X950G and X950H, and is the update from 6.4770/6.4774. It improves local dimming, black levels, and color accuracy even further.

A warning to people that they do this at their own risk as their warranty will be void, should be added.

Why are you pushing this? You cannot say for certain that this won't cause problems now or in the future and as Morden says it will invalidate any warranty. Crazy, when Sony will release an update for these models in good time.

Actually, yes, I can say for sure that it will not cause problems.

How do you know that this will cause no issues?

Would you be so sure as to reimburse someone who applies what is the wrong firmware for their model, to their tv on your recommendation and then has issues in the future on their tv?

And who has then invalidated their warranty.

-

Last edited:
You people just do not get it. All 3 TVs (X950G, X950H, Z8H) all use, and will continue to be able to use the same firmwares.

You people just do not get it. All 3 TVs (X950G, X950H, Z8H) all use, and will continue to be able to use the same firmwares.

Its the warranty impact that creates the worry if you end up with say a dodgy speaker or dead pixel and need Sony Europe to replace it then Sony could rightfully reject to repair or replace for using non factory/model specific firmware.

Its the warranty impact that creates the worry if you end up with say a dodgy speaker or dead pixel and need Sony Europe to replace it then Sony could rightfully reject to repair or replace for using non factory/model specific firmware.
Hold your horses and lets see what number the next firmware for xh will be and then see ok?

We do get it, as it's very simple.....You can't say for sure this will be ok and to me it's wrong that you should be actively promoting updating firmware to models that it's not intended for. You and others are happy to take the risk but the majority should definitely wait for Sony to release the firmware that is suitable for their model of television. If they all used the same firmware then Sony would release it at the same time.

Also, I have information about all of the Sony TVs, and I am aware of what is happening with said TVs before any other end user is. There is no risk to updating with this firmware. There was also no risk of updating to the X950H firmware on the X950G either, which I discovered. Everyone has all of this information, thanks to me. You are ignorant saying that I am incorrect, as you do not understand the inner workings of the firmwares.

Danny, I am more than happy to accept what you state.

I am an adult and it is my choice whether I take your advice and flash my Firmware based upon the information you post.

I do understand it may effect my warranty.

Noone is being forced to act on your advice, therefore I believe the treatment of you by one or two people is somewhat harsh.

Please accept my apologies for their harsh words.

Last edited:
:)
Danny, I am more than happy to accept what you state.

I am an adult and it is my choice whether I take your advice and flash my Firmware based upon the information you post.

I do understand it may effect my warranty.

Noone is being forced to act on your advice, therefore I believe the treatment of you by one or two people is somewhat harsh.

Please accept my apologies for their harsh words.
Yes Antidante and all of you techfreinds out there :clap:
What Danny has said is that its possible!! He cant put the usb stick in yours tv so please do as you want with the info.

The forum is all about diskussions us nerds bettween so be happy and live your life with or without firmware.

And for you Danny
Thanks !!!!!!!!

Here is the metadata file info copied and pasted from the 6.4775 (Z8H) firmware.

ota-property-files=payload_metadata.bin:3796:114396,payload.bin:3796:1353333519,payload_properties.txt:1353337373:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-required-cache=0
ota-streaming-property-files=payload.bin:3796:1353333519,payload_properties.txt:1353337373:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-type=AB
post-build=Sony/BRAVIA_UR3_UC/BRAVIA_UR3:9/PTT1.190515.001.S76/647741:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=647741
post-package=0FA70A0BA0AB_00004300_16047751000616
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2020-05-01
post-timestamp=1595234666
pre-device=BRAVIA_UR3

Here is the metadata file info copied and pasted from the previous 6.4770 (X950H) firmware.

ota-property-files=payload_metadata.bin:3796:114448,payload.bin:3796:1351602815,payload_properties.txt:1351606669:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-required-cache=0
ota-streaming-property-files=payload.bin:3796:1351602815,payload_properties.txt:1351606669:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-type=AB
post-build=Sony/BRAVIA_UR3_UC/BRAVIA_UR3:9/PTT1.190515.001.S71/647701:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=647701
post-package=0FA70A0BA0AB_00004300_16047701000615
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2020-03-01
post-timestamp=1589941130
pre-device=BRAVIA_UR3

You can see the model number listed in both firmwares as BRAVIA_UR3. This is the model code for the X950H. Again, the firmware can be installed on the X950G, X950H, and Z8H without any issues happening to any of the 3 TVs. For anyone wondering as well, these these are the model codes for the TVs as identified by the firmwares when installing updates.

BRAVIA_UR1_4K = X950G (first revision)
BRAVIA_UR2_4K = X950G (second revision)
BRAVIA_UR3 = X950H

Also, I have information about all of the Sony TVs, and I am aware of what is happening with said TVs before any other end user is. There is no risk to updating with this firmware. There was also no risk of updating to the X950H firmware on the X950G either, which I discovered. Everyone has all of this information, thanks to me. You are ignorant saying that I am incorrect, as you do not understand the inner workings of the firmwares.

Im not ignorant and fully understand motherboards and firmware updates as I have done this in my job.

Here is the metadata file info copied and pasted from the 6.4775 (Z8H) firmware.

ota-property-files=payload_metadata.bin:3796:114396,payload.bin:3796:1353333519,payload_properties.txt:1353337373:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-required-cache=0
ota-streaming-property-files=payload.bin:3796:1353333519,payload_properties.txt:1353337373:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-type=AB
post-build=Sony/BRAVIA_UR3_UC/BRAVIA_UR3:9/PTT1.190515.001.S76/647741:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=647741
post-package=0FA70A0BA0AB_00004300_16047751000616
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2020-05-01
post-timestamp=1595234666
pre-device=BRAVIA_UR3

Here is the metadata file info copied and pasted from the previous 6.4770 (X950H) firmware.

ota-property-files=payload_metadata.bin:3796:114448,payload.bin:3796:1351602815,payload_properties.txt:1351606669:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-required-cache=0
ota-streaming-property-files=payload.bin:3796:1351602815,payload_properties.txt:1351606669:156,care_map.txt:802:241,compatibility.zip:1096:2653,metadata:69:685
ota-type=AB
post-build=Sony/BRAVIA_UR3_UC/BRAVIA_UR3:9/PTT1.190515.001.S71/647701:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=647701
post-package=0FA70A0BA0AB_00004300_16047701000615
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2020-03-01
post-timestamp=1589941130
pre-device=BRAVIA_UR3

You can see the model number listed in both firmwares as BRAVIA_UR3. This is the model code for the X950H. Again, the firmware can be installed on the X950G, X950H, and Z8H without any issues happening to any of the 3 TVs. For anyone wondering as well, these these are the model codes for the TVs as identified by the firmwares when installing updates.

BRAVIA_UR1_4K = X950G (first revision)
BRAVIA_UR2_4K = X950G (second revision)
BRAVIA_UR3 = X950H

It doesnt matter technically how similar they appear, as ktiger said if you experience dead pixels , faulty network card, wif8i, hdmi port or any other warranty issue where Sony would normally fix or replace your tv, you will be told its nothing to do with us as you have applied a non standard firmware for your model and warranty is now void.

You really should be advising this when pushing what is non standard firmware to a tv,
This will invalidate warranty Do at your own risk!

Or are you willing to pay for loss of tv for people who discover their warranty has been voided when they report a fault for any reason to Sony?

Im not ignorant and fully understand motherboards and firmware updates as I have done this in my job.

It doesnt matter technically how similar they appear, as ktiger said if you experience dead pixels , faulty network card, wif8i, hdmi port or any other warranty issue where Sony would normally fix or replace your tv, you will be told its nothing to do with us as you have applied a non standard firmware for your model and warranty is now void.

You really should be advising this when pushing what is non standard firmware to a tv,
This will invalidate warranty Do at your own risk!

Or are you willing to pay for loss of tv for people who discover their warranty has been voided when they report a fault for any reason to Sony?
Or maybe if Sony didn’t want the firmware on different sets they should stop sets accepting it ,LG do this ,I’ve been running the A8 firmware on my AG9 for the last few months without any issues what so ever ,and it’s better than the AG9 firmware ever was , now people across the pond have received new AG9 sets with this firmware ,so how could Sony argue about warranty if they are installing it on new AG9 sets ?

Or maybe if Sony didn’t want the firmware on different sets they should stop sets accepting it ,LG do this ,I’ve been running the A8 firmware on my AG9 for the last few months without any issues what so ever ,and it’s better than the AG9 firmware ever was , now people across the pond have received new AG9 sets with this firmware ,so how could Sony argue about warranty if they are installing it on new AG9 sets ?

In the firmware updates Sony list applicable models, if your model is not applicable your invalidating your warranty .
If your model is listed in the region/country your in, you are not invalidating your warranty.

No one says you can't do it, but beware of the risks if you have 5 year warranty and if at some point your tv develops a fault and you have to pay for a repair rather than have it fixed under warranty.

If your happy with this then good your aware of the risks.

What I said Danny should do is have a disclaimer saying that this will make warranty no longer valid. As not everyone who sees the advice on firmware he has given will be aware that it will make their warranty not valid.

To be honest if someone does have issues and warranty no longer valid because they followed the advice
they could try suing this site as source of advice, whilst unlikely that they would win, if a disclaimer is given "at your own risk" then legally there is definitely no comeback.

Last edited:

I'm sure they will, and this could leave people in a very difficult position. I'm all for personal choice, but it is highly irresponsible for individuals to encourage others to download firmware saying it will be absolutely fine, as it's not Therefore it's equally very responsible for others to point out the serious risks in doing this and why they shouldn't.

Last edited:
In the firmware updates Sony list applicable models, if your model is not applicable your invalidating your warranty .
If your model is listed in the region/country your in, you are not invalidating your warranty.

No one says you can't do it, but beware of the risks if you have 5 year warranty and if at some point your tv develops a fault and you have to pay for a repair rather than have it fixed under warranty.

If your happy with this then good your aware of the risks.

What I said Danny should do is have a disclaimer saying that this will make warranty no longer valid. As not everyone who sees the advice on firmware he has given will be aware that it will make their warranty not valid.

To be honest if someone does have issues and warranty no longer valid because they followed the advice
they could try suing this site as source of advice, whilst unlikely that they would win, if a disclaimer is given "at your own risk" then legally there is definitely no comeback.
Where does it state it will invalidate your warranty?

Where does it state it will invalidate your warranty?

Sony X950H firmware on 950g

Full details in quote below from provided links..

"
damage or changes to the product as a result of :
  1. misuse, including:
    - treatment resulting in physical, cosmetic or surface damage or changes to the product or damage to liquid crystal displays.
    - failure to install or use the product for its normal purpose or in accordance with Sony instructions on installation or use.
    - failure to maintain the product in accordance with Sony instructions on proper maintenance.
    - Iinstallation or use of the product in a manner inconsistent with the technical or safety laws or standards in the country where it is installed or used.
adjustments or adaptations without Sony’s prior written consent, including:
- upgrading the product beyond specifications or features

ULA (End-User-License-Agreement)
Software Downloads and Online ...

Where Sony agrees (in writing) to provide technical support in relation to a Sony product, it shall only provide that support on the relevant Sony products with operating systems and other software in the same form and version as shipped from the Sony or Sony Affiliate factory

acceptance of these Terms. If you do not agree with these Terms, you may not download any Utility or accompanying online documentation."

Repair and Warranty

Repair and Warranty

ULA in download link ....

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/..._x95xxg-series/kd-55xg9505/downloads/00016823

So with above Information provided, write to sony and ask for written approval apply. for non standard firmware to your xg9505, asking Sony to honour your warranty?

If your brave enough to let them know you have done that. As sony will answer you and quote above terms. And it is sonys approval you require as legally when downloading firmware, you agree to their terms
Do you feel lucky that they will support you?

As without written approval from Sony, default is as written above. And in links I provided.

Sony X950H firmware on 950g

Full details in quote below from provided links..

"
damage or changes to the product as a result of :
  1. misuse, including:
    - treatment resulting in physical, cosmetic or surface damage or changes to the product or damage to liquid crystal displays.
    - failure to install or use the product for its normal purpose or in accordance with Sony instructions on installation or use.
    - failure to maintain the product in accordance with Sony instructions on proper maintenance.
    - Iinstallation or use of the product in a manner inconsistent with the technical or safety laws or standards in the country where it is installed or used.
adjustments or adaptations without Sony’s prior written consent, including:
- upgrading the product beyond specifications or features

ULA (End-User-License-Agreement)
Software Downloads and Online ...

Where Sony agrees (in writing) to provide technical support in relation to a Sony product, it shall only provide that support on the relevant Sony products with operating systems and other software in the same form and version as shipped from the Sony or Sony Affiliate factory

acceptance of these Terms. If you do not agree with these Terms, you may not download any Utility or accompanying online documentation."

Repair and Warranty

Repair and Warranty

ULA in download link ....

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/..._x95xxg-series/kd-55xg9505/downloads/00016823

So with above Information provided, write to sony and ask for written approval apply. for non standard firmware to your xg9505, asking Sony to honour your warranty?

If your brave enough to let them know you have done that. As sony will answer you and quote above terms. And it is sonys approval you require as legally when downloading firmware, you agree to their terms
Do you feel lucky that they will support you?

As without written approval from Sony, default is as written above. And in links I provided.
Everything above is very very vague really isn't it , now imagine this scenario , the panel fails on my AG9 ( the most common fault with an OLED)) ,or the set doesn't power on , now I know for fact that Sony support ask what firmware version your set is on , I answer I really don't know as I cannot check it due to panel not coming on , or set not powering up, they might send an engineer out who will take one look at it and declare it a right off, that set will be replaced without issue .

Or perhaps the following scene , I have an A8 upstairs and an AG9 down stairs , I updated the A8 a couple of months the ago to the latest firmware via usb , fast forward to today and I put that usb into my AG9 to view some test files I had on there ,leave the room , come back in and the AG9 is midway through updating to the A8 firmware (because it will do it automatically trust me ) then what ? surely if it was going to damage my set /invalidate my warranty Sony have an obligation to stop the Firmware installing on a different model , This is something that LG have done for years

Everything above is very very vague really isn't it , now imagine this scenario , the panel fails on my AG9 ( the most common fault with an OLED)) ,or the set doesn't power on , now I know for fact that Sony support ask what firmware version your set is on , I answer I really don't know as I cannot check it due to panel not coming on , or set not powering up, they might send an engineer out who will take one look at it and declare it a right off, that set will be replaced without issue .

Or perhaps the following scene , I have an A8 upstairs and an AG9 down stairs , I updated the A8 a couple of months the ago to the latest firmware via usb , fast forward to today and I put that usb into my AG9 to view some test files I had on there ,leave the room , come back in and the AG9 is midway through updating to the A8 firmware (because it will do it automatically trust me ) then what ? surely if it was going to damage my set /invalidate my warranty Sony have an obligation to stop the Firmware installing on a different model , This is something that LG have done for years

Are you going to write to sony and ask for confirmation?

Bottom line is if you download firmware you agree to this...

what if scenarios where I tripped up with a usb in my hand and accidentally inserted into my tv or similar will not ,legally wash.

Either wrong firmware installed on tv or it didn't, no grey area, even if you made a mistake.
Either firmware as shipped from factory installed or it wasn't and ELA terms breached.

Good luck justifying to yourself that sonys own words on this mean that your warranty is not valid.

SONY, are the only party who can prove which of us is right here !

Why don't you email them and ask, I provided evidence which you asked for and now contest?

You are correct that Sony should stop it. I'm sure they will. Which means even more so that people should ignore those encouraging others to download the wrong firmware.

Are you going to write to sony and ask for confirmation?

Bottom line is if you download firmware you agree to this...

what if scenarios where I tripped up with a usb in my hand and accidentally inserted into my tv or similar will not ,legally wash.

Either wrong firmware installed on tv or it didn't, no grey area, even if you made a mistake.

Good luck justifying to yourself that sonys own words on this mean that your warranty is valid.

SONY, are the only party who can prove which of us is right here !

Why don't you email them and ask, I provided evidence which you asked for and now contest?
Like I said above ,if its going to affect a set ,Sony should ensure that it CANNOT but put onto a different model either by choice or by accident , and the scenario I stated above is one that would 100 % happen if you put a usb into an AG9 with the A8 firmware on it , so tell what would you do rip out the usb mid install and potentially brick the set , now that is a real life scenario , not some bull about tripping up with usb in hand .
And on that note I,m off to watch my AG9/A8 hybrid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom