Sony XE9005 Thread

davidcrofter

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looks like the new possible bargain Sony LCD range is now on sale in the UK and available at either:

Simply Electricals
BRAVIA KD55XE9005 55" LED 4K HDR PREMIUM TV
BRAVIA KD65XE9005 65" LED 4K HDR PREMIUM TV

Crampton & Moore
Sony KD-55XE9005 55" 4K HDR LED Television with Android TV | Crampton and Moore
Sony KD-65XE9005 65" 4K HDR LED Television with Android TV | Crampton and Moore

Decent prices or do these make you feel slightly suspicious that they might not perform as good as they look on paper?? The step-up slim backlight drive is another £700 so you have got to question what Sony have skimped on apart from the HDR X1 Extreme Processor.

Hmm, interesting price point, here in Norway the XE93 was reviewed by one of the most popular tech sites and was given a 8.5/10 (biggest minuses being android, viewing angles and black levels)but the XE90 is more appealing because of FALD.

Yes it seems the X1 Extreme Processor can work wonders but it can only do so much with the albeit decent edge-lit technology of the XE93. I just get the feeling that Sony have cheaped out with this one but await a review that tells me different ...

Very interested in this and hope the input lag is down considerably. The ZD9 is far out of my price range and this could hopefully be my alternative!

Scant on details, but a general overview. Mentions it's not on par with the 930, disappointing since I hoped it would at least match an edge-lit panel.

A few reviews have come in since the last post here & its a show stopper!. Its praised highly in every department except sound. Input lag is around 35ms which is very responsive and it gets really bright which is great for HDR content. I'm not sure why the 49' isn't listed on John Lewis though, unless its a US model?.

Pretty sure it's a uk model too its on the Sony website. I'm just waiting for confirmation that the 49" is a va panel and then I think it will be an interesting tv once the price comes down a bit.

I ordered 55" XE9005 for £1699 as the price point and features combination is best for this TV, at this time. The model above this one, 9305, is way too expensive at £2399.

I will be getting a Sony 55X900E US like the 55XE9005 Sony model in a day or two as soon as I get an email confirming my 2015 Sony X850C extended warranty settlement payment is in process .

A TV tech they sent came and diagnosed it as a bad panel (sudden failure ) this morning ,later the warranty company acknowledged it is unrepairable by e mail and will follow up with the resolution which covers what I paid for it .

Today the Sony 55 X900E is $300.00 more US than I paid for the 55X850C at Q4 2015 prices ,all in all a cheap upgrade here I was contemplating anyway,that said the Sony X850C was a pretty decent TV until the panel failed and would have had a spot in another room here.

I will be getting another extended warranty of course.

Anyone got one of these yet? And impressions on blacks etc
Going to look at one today in currys

Had a look and play with the remote
It was sitting next to a Samsung LED and a LG OLED
But I wasn't impressed it looked washed out and couldn't get it to anywhere near my current LCD 7 year old picture quality playing with all the settings

It was not as good as the Samsung and I'm finding being more swayed to an OLED each time I look at tv's

Anyone got one of these yet? And impressions on blacks etc
Going to look at one today in currys
FWIW I shopped and showroom the US Sony X900E for a bricked Sony X850C extended warranty resolution and I add in the price gap from my coverage limit .

X900E , Good blacks ,color volume ,contrast,brightness color pop ,image detail,shadow detail motion and a premium up to 4K HDR LCD picture all around it's no slouch and it has the usual premium Sony XBR bank vault solid design style ,fit and finish ,cabinet,bezel,stand and so on my shipping Samsung should have .

I looked at the competition and the Sony X930E of course and as it turns out the 2016 Samsung KS 8000 /UK KS7000 is closer to the Sont X930E than the X900E in most respects and $650.00 stays in my pocket nice and tidy until I spend it on something else .........so the choice to me was obviously the 1476 peak NIT wider color volume more native contrast *but edge local dimming Samsung (what's not to like ?) but it's shipping right now and not here yet so the final verdict is not in but it looks to be a slam dunk on paper and what I saw not taking anything away here from a very good Sony X900E to unduly influence anyones choice given the X900E is a Sony algorithm FALD panel .

I did not evaluate The Sony X900E or Shipping Samsung KS70000/8000(us) in my home and moreover not on my preferred picture settings and post processing options or not so the variables could just as well put the Sony X900E or Samsung above ahead anyway .

Shop at least these two TV's and choose what you like, both are very good and I'm not trying to be a Samsung fanboy after 25 years of mostly very good Sony TV's

The Samsung caveat is the downgraded 2017 Samsung MU 7000 (UK) /8000 (US) and so on have no wide color quantum dots or moth eye panels and significantly less brightness than 2016 KS 7000 (UK) /8000(US) or Sony X900E and looks like I would totally pass on those even though they aren't terrible looking in a bright store they are NOT the 2016 model

That said the X900E is very nice and significantly better than my Bricked X850C and maybe a little better than the Samung here at dark room movies given the FALD panel & rting.com opinion /score but nothing beyond that that I can read or see, YMMV of course .

The 65K white ambient TV /panel back lights I use behind the TV and PC panel in here probably nulls that slight X900E advantage anyway but it is a nice TV with the usual Q2 model Sony Tax which may not be an impediment to some folks at Q4 pricing or maybe sooner given the usual seasonal price variables .

Last edited:
Had a look and play with the remote
It was sitting next to a Samsung LED and a LG OLED
But I wasn't impressed it looked washed out and couldn't get it to anywhere near my current LCD 7 year old picture quality playing with all the settings

It was not as good as the Samsung and I'm finding being more swayed to an OLED each time I look at tv's
Lots of variables but like you I did like the Samsung KS7000(UK) - KS8000 (US) and the OLEDS better than X900E and I thought they were significantly closer to the Sony X930E than the X900E was

I have the Samsung KS7000(UK)/8000(US) shiping it's a heck of a bright colorful LCD TV there at 1476 peak nits and that quantum dot color volume and moth eye panel and nearly 7000:1 native contrast trust me .you ain't gettin around that short of a better LCD TV or an OLED and their ain't a handful of LCD that can claim that .

The Sony A1E OLED was sicker than anything I ever saw and immersive the way it magically draws you in like only one TV ever like did that to me but I never spent any time drooling in front of a 2016-2017 style LG OLED so that may draw me in too and I'm hoping that new Samsung KS7000 XXX can draw me in more than what I been watching here .

That plasma that drew me in was a Panasonic 1080p top of the pack VT or VZ 65 Plasma in a dark Best Buy Magnolia room and I also have a very credible Samsung 64f8500 plasma and my bricked Sony X850C I bought there but I'm telling you that Panny and the Sony A1E OLED are as immersive as I have seen and the new LG OLEDS were right behind the Sony OLED I could live with one those and OLEDS are are really getting very compelling in a way I have not seen outside of an OLED or that Panny but not any LCD >>>like that .

Last edited:
IMAG1803.jpg
had another look again today at the 49" Xe in the picture in richer sounds and currys it does look nice though it was alongside 49XD8305 and the 8305 looked to have better blacks

FWIW 49" -75" 2016 Samsung 55KS 7000 /55KS 8000 (US) is way better than any Sony TV below an X930E with one exception being it is ~ tit for tat with Sony X900E :thumbsup:

Also Better is probably any Samsung in those 6xxx 4K SDR lines and certainly the 2017 Samsung MU7000 /8000(us) but they fall far short of the 2016 4K HDR 1000 Quantum dot models above

I would not buy anthing like a downstream Sony below X900E given my 2013 Sony Bravia was not all that and has great blacks too but an abysmally cheap not bright 60Hz dither panel with acute color banding and moreover what I know beyond that about all the Sony lines

My tech savvy adult son and I just finished up putting all new direct LED backlight strips in my low rent 2013 Sony 40" Bravia I bought in 2014 which entails entirely disassembling the LCD panel and the TV and $20.00 of new savage parts from Ebay.

I will watch it in here for one day (where it used to live ) until my new swinging wide color 4K HR 1000 55" Samsung gets here . It looks like a new penny and not bad at all for a 40" 1080p LCD it's cheap 6 bit + frc dither panel notwithstanding .

I put the dreadful ,old and small Dynex back in the garage I was using temporarily in here since my 5015 Sony 55X850C went dark some weeks ago

I would steer clear of low rent Sony TVs like that Sony 49 XD 4305 they usually have 60/50Hz color banding/motion judder and cheap dither panels in then you won't see so much of on the carefully crafted high bit rate store factory demo loops >>>>like my 2013 Sony Bravis 6 bit + frc 1080p rubbish panel .

Sony usually does that cheap panel trick on anthing below the X850 (X85) models and they may have ruined and downgraded 2017 X850E that should have been the 2017 X900E .

Amazon logically uses that 55X900E for the 2016 X850D new model in US now anyway given there is no 55" X850E here in the states and the Camel camel .com Amazon seasonal price history tracker is entirely commensurate with all that .

After a misdiagnosed warranty claim
as I suspected given the symptoms progressions, I got inside my basically dark 2015 4K HDR Sony XBR 55X850C with my DVM after I found out I can keep it and I get a new better TV .

The clueless warranty company provided board changer reported a bad panel when the symptom progressions clearly indicated an LD board section (LED driver section ) and NOT the panel . I let it ride, I knew I going to get a new $00 TV from the from them at that point and if I get to keep the Sony 55X850C I can fix it cheaply bu ekter eay I get a new better TV because I was about to take an 2016 Sony X850D with an IPS panel and if needed just go out and get up to a Sony A1E OLED out of pocket (cash or EFT same ) and take my coverage amount or a better LCD TV which is the shipping now 4K HDR 1000 Samsung KS7000 uk/KS 8000 usa that is good up to the Sony X930E .

After a simple,swift and proper diagnosis of my 55X850C with my DVM I can replace a T3 transistor , diode and a transistor loading resistor on the LD board section at a few $$ for those and my 55X850C is like new again and in another room here when the parts get here from Digikey in a few days .

I have what is essentially a new and better Samsung 55 KS 7000 /55KS 8000 (US) for a few $$ and a simple LD board section repair and lots of duress and waiting one month instead of a promised 10 days from a wholly misfeasanant warranty company with Soviet Union style bureaucracies and hierarchies there and a bulk freight shipper that lost my TV for 4 days I confirmed will be here tomorrow if all goes well .

I worked benching TV in the late 60's to 1970 when fixing analog TV was far more difficult and complex at the repair levels,you had to know something far beyond swapping boards that may not be the right one and flagging the panel when it is not because you are clueless .

I changed careers entirely out of electronics but I keep up and tinkler fix things now and then including LCD TV's and PC's and upgrade frequently .The fundamentals have not changed at all and LCD panel and LCD TV operation and variables arent that hard to understand at all especially if you have related knowledge.

Last edited:
Can I ask a question of an owner of this TV please. My concern would be the wall mounting with the power brick. I have seen something somewhere which said that the kd65xe9005 comes with a bracket to hold the power brick on the wall behind the TV. Can anyone confirm that for me please?

Hi, is it normal that when the TV is in standby there is no LED which shows the standby mode?

I am just about to order the 65" set. I hope that I will have no regrets about it. Still trusting that I will be able to hide the power brick behind the television ok. If someone has done that, can you share how you did it please.

I am just about to order the 65" set. I hope that I will have no regrets about it. Still trusting that I will be able to hide the power brick behind the television ok. If someone has done that, can you share how you did it please.

Easiest way is to get a couple of sticky backed Velcro strips and attach it to the back of the TV. Or cable tie it to one of the bracket arms

Does anyone know why sometimes when I turn the TV on the Android Logo appears for a few seconds? (those colorful circles forming the Android logo). Why is that? It happened a few times and I don't know the reason for it.

Will the You Tube app on this TV get an update to let it play HDR videos anytime in the future? would really enjoy some HDR goodness to enjoy until I buy a 4k Blu-ray player but the app doesn't support it.

Does anyone know why sometimes when I turn the TV on the Android Logo appears for a few seconds? (those colorful circles forming the Android logo). Why is that? It happened a few times and I don't know the reason for it.

That's when it's been powered off at the mains, which requires Android to reboot, which takes a minute or two. Worth doing every so often if things get sluggish.

Anyone seen or own the 75XE9005 and can comment? Looking at that or the Pana 75EX750 and cannot decide which to go for? Thanks

I have just had the time to sit down and watch the LG 4K Demos on Youtube on the 65" version of this television. Incredible. If you have been considering it I would say just go for it. I am delighted with this set.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom