Sony XF90 (KD-55XF9005) Review & Comments

Could any XF90 (X900F) owners please provide answers to 2 questions for a potential buyer, sorry if this is the wrong place for it.

1) What is the measurement between the 2 legs at their widest part, on the 65" version? My desk is 107cm in length and I just want to know if I have the wiggle room for the larger model.

2) Reviews all point out the sets poor viewing angle, would this be an issue for someone in a reclined position, sitting about 7 feet directly in front of the TV? I am replacing a 51" Samsung plasma so have not had to worry about this in the past. 40% of the time will be gaming in a seated position, the rest will be in a reclined position (not flat though) on a standard Lay Z boy.

Thanks in advance.

Could any XF90 (X900F) owners please provide answers to 2 questions for a potential buyer, sorry if this is the wrong place for it.

1) What is the measurement between the 2 legs at their widest part, on the 65" version? My desk is 107cm in length and I just want to know if I have the wiggle room for the larger model.

2) Reviews all point out the sets poor viewing angle, would this be an issue for someone in a reclined position, sitting about 7 feet directly in front of the TV? I am replacing a 51" Samsung plasma so have not had to worry about this in the past. 40% of the time will be gaming in a seated position, the rest will be in a reclined position (not flat though) on a standard Lay Z boy.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing angles left to right are more of an issue, you should be fine. Depends how high you have the TV mounted, relative to your chair. Eye level in the middle of the screen ideally.

did the calibrated settings ever come out? im looking to buy the 65 inch?

Hello all,
After much deliberation I've joined the club...get my tv next Wednesday, bought from Richer Sounds as a bundle with a DA soundbar. Looking forward to viewing Netflix and Sky UHD on it.
Michelle

I have trouble with this TV. When I turn TV off and next day I try to turn on, first light start to blink than it turns into red. After that I turn it again on and light goes off, total dark. Than I again turn it on and TV start from beginning loading Android with android logo animation. What can be wrong? I have installed latest update.

I have trouble with this TV. When I turn TV off and next day I try to turn on, first light start to blink than it turns into red. After that I turn it again on and light goes off, total dark. Than I again turn it on and TV start from beginning loading Android with android logo animation. What can be wrong? I have installed latest update.

Sounds like a fault. Best to ring Sony customer support.

Does anybody have any comments on Dolby vision content on the XF90, particularly from both Netflix and Prime video? I've tried to watch both Jack Reacher on amazon prime app on the TV, and a few netflix Dolby vision titles. Despite endless fiddling with the settings, DV seems to make the picture terrible. Really washed out a yellow tinge. Despite changing colour temp etc.

I've ordered the Sony XF90 65" version for ÂŁ1399.99 from Hifi-Confidential, coming with a 5 year warranty. I was torn a little between this and the 65" version of the Hisense U9A, with the latter currently costing as low as ÂŁ1699.99. In the end I went for the Sony because I suspect it'll have a better overall picture. I was tempted by the ridiculous number of local dimming zones on the U9A and the brightness factor of circa 2500 nits. But in the end, it was ÂŁ300 more than the Sony XF90 65" and the Sony TV sounded like it had better overall image reproduction over the Hisense U9A. I was also attacted by the better out of the box calibration on the Sony and the fact that there are loads of calibration tips available for this model. The issues with Android don't sound good, but I plan to mainly use it as a monitor. Any, hopefully I've made the right decision!

Last edited:
Some critical sites recommend using the X-tended Dynamic Range for both SDR and HDR content. Is it a gimmick, is it needed for HDR content (as apparently the XF90 apparently automatically activates X-tended Dynamic Range for HDR sourced material)?

Furthermore, I'm really confused by all the motion settings I've been reading about.

Some critical sites recommend using the X-tended Dynamic Range for both SDR and HDR content. Is it a gimmick, is it needed for HDR content (as apparently the XF90 apparently automatically activates X-tended Dynamic Range for HDR sourced material)?

Furthermore, I'm really confused by all the motion settings I've been reading about.

Best advice is to have a read / search of the owners thread and the separate motion control thread. Should help with any and all questions

I've got the 55" XF9005 and the 55" U7A. The Sony is far the better set. Not sure about how much better the U9A is though. I also don't find issue with Android. Could be quicker yes but it's fine for me apart from the odd Nerflix crash.

In terms of motion, don't get hung up on it. Personally I find Custom, smoothness 2, clearness 1 and film mode high is great. Some prefer smoothness at 3 but personally I notice more soap opera effect at this setting. What looks good for you is what's right.

I've got the 55" XF9005 and the 55" U7A. The Sony is far the better set. Not sure about how much better the U9A is though. I also don't find issue with Android. Could be quicker yes but it's fine for me apart from the odd Nerflix crash.

In terms of motion, don't get hung up on it. Personally I find Custom, smoothness 2, clearness 1 and film mode high is great. Some prefer smoothness at 3 but personally I notice more soap opera effect at this setting. What looks good for you is what's right.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I will just have to tinker around once I get the XF90. I doubt I'll change to the U9A based on the extra cost, less warranty, and some of the criticisms of the washed out colours. When I get time I'll have a look at the owners thread as suggested by dUnKle.

Hi I've been looking at Oleds but put off by the issue's so now looking at this tv, can someone confirm if the HDMI slots are all full fat please, also is there a Oreo update coming to this if not here already and finally how's the DV working on this?
Appreciate it...

Hi I've been looking at Oleds but put off by the issue's so now looking at this tv, can someone confirm if the HDMI slots are all full fat please, also is there a Oreo update coming to this if not here already and finally how's the DV working on this?
Appreciate it...

Hello, to the best of my knowledge only two of the HDMI ports - ports 2 and 3 (with 3 also being an ARC port) (I think) - are full fat. The other two 1 and 4 (I think) aren't. However, there's always the option of buying a HDMI splitter, or as in my case, I use an AVR for my sound system and video passthrough, so all my gear is hooked up to the AVR HDMI ports and is passed through to my TV via one HDMI out port.

Regarding Oreo, I really don't know for sure, but again, as far as I know, there is (or will be) and Orea update, but don't quote me for sure on that one.

Sorry, I can't help you with the DV question as of yet, but the firmware update is available for download.

For any more questions, you're probably better off asking them here: Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

FYI on the Oreo update.

I take back some of what I said about how poor Android TV is. Everything button press gets a response as opposed to waiting so long you end up pressing another button. The worse delays for me were switching on the TV and selecting the Picture menu. The TV is now on within 5 seconds (trust me it used to take around 10 seconds) and the Guide is available within a 2-3 seconds after that instead of up to 30 seconds.

None of this is LG WebOS responsive but it is way better than before the Oreo upgrade

FYI on the Oreo update.

I take back some of what I said about how poor Android TV is. Everything button press gets a response as opposed to waiting so long you end up pressing another button. The worse delays for me were switching on the TV and selecting the Picture menu. The TV is now on within 5 seconds (trust me it used to take around 10 seconds) and the Guide is available within a 2-3 seconds after that instead of up to 30 seconds.

None of this is LG WebOS responsive but it is way better than before the Oreo upgrade

That's really bad. How often do you reboot your set? Mine is very responsive less than a second and wasn't much slower before Oreo. Could it be your remote?

Last edited:
That's really bad. How often do you reboot your set? Mine is very responsive less than a second and wasn't much slower before Oreo. Could it be your remote?
It's not the remote. It may be dependent on the region and vagaries of local connectivity.

It's not the remote. It may be dependent on the region and vagaries of local connectivity.

I had a issues with my remote hence the question. At least you can rule that out and the new version has massively reduced lag time. Imagine what the next update might do!! lol

FYI on the Oreo update.

I haven't received the Oreo update yet, what gives?

I haven't received the Oreo update yet, what gives?

I downloaded it. I wouldn't worry too much unless you updated the last troublesome one, then I'd recommend you update to this asap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom