Sony XG95 (KD-55XG9505) 4K TV Review & Comments

Sony has stopped trying.
Their leds used to be competitive with oled.
But now they force you into oled for high end sets.

People stay for the motion.
After all you are not going to stare at a fixed photograph.
Lack of blur and artefacts with less noticeable change in brightness whether it flicker or even flashing/pulsating which is evident on even Samsung Q9FN or q90 even.
X motion clarity and ultimate chip, what is better. Even their oled don’t have x motion clarity.

I just spent a fair bit of time with the Sony guy at our local Curry’s trying to get it to show ANY blooming or such issues. I have a DX902 and the blooming is really irritating me.

This TV is spectacular, but we were testing the 75” model. Even off axis there was next to no blooming across a variety of sources and content.

The OS seemed mega responsive too, especially compared to the AF8 next to it.

I’m sold, just want to price to come down a little as it’ll bottom out at £2299 I guess. Got offered it for £3599.

Great and knowledgable staff in J9 M6 Currys too
At 75” it will make good use of fine detail by the x1 ultimate chip.

Thanks for the review Phil. How does it compare with the XF90? You were much more positive with it, but according to many reviewers they are quite similar on picture quality.

Thanks for the review Phil. How does it compare with the XF90? You were much more positive with it, but according to many reviewers they are quite similar on picture quality.
I can't speak for other reviewers and I haven't had both TVs together. You can, however, refer to the reviews.

I can't speak for other reviewers and I haven't had both TVs together. You can, however, refer to the reviews.

I'm having wifi disconnect 2-3 times per hour. On an XF90.

I have 365mb download and I use a high spec netgear router with a ubiquiti nanoHD access point.

Basically my wifi is like the incredible hulk on steroids. I have zero issues with the 30 other devices in my home and the tv is only 5m away from the access point. So it gets a full signal.

Sony need to fix their wifi. This shouldn't be happening.

I've never experienced wi-fi drop out on my XF90 - not anything that would force me to disconnect). I only have a modest fibre broadband (about 32Mb) and apart from it occasionally evidently "catching up" (or filling the cache) when the picture slightly loses definition momentarily, it's been fine. For ref: I am still running Android 7 (the TV is set to auto update, but hasn't done it yet)

I've never experienced wi-fi drop out on my XF90 - not anything that would force me to disconnect). I only have a modest fibre broadband (about 32Mb) and apart from it occasionally evidently "catching up" (or filling the cache) when the picture slightly loses definition momentarily, it's been fine. For ref: I am still running Android 7 (the TV is set to auto update, but hasn't done it yet)

You and me both. I think he's just having a winge.

Thank you Phil for the insightful review. I watched it and blooming looks pretty disturbing. But I am curious if the camera captured the blooming as is. How do you compare it to real life? You see the blooming exactly like in the video recorded or is it less obvious? I really wish to understand and I would appreciate if you give a percentage example like "It's %40 less visible than the video.'' Because if it's less visible I can live with it. But it looks quite distracting in the video.

Also FlatpanelHD had 75'' with X-Wide Angle technology so test results are quite similar to smaller screens. So I expect that these panels will have similar blooming as well.

You said even Bias Ligting won't help blooming. What if it was 85''? My logic says 85'' TV will brighten up the room even though it's a fairly dark scene so blooming could be less distracting. What do you think? Also I'm guessing if they have same zones the blooming would spread wider with 85 inches but would look less intense = less distracting.

You could buy a Sony OLED for that. 55AF8 is £1589 at present.
And you can get Burn in too.
Not everyone wants to play Russian roulette with their TV
It seems this model is a step backwards. I have the 65xf9005 and it's superb. The hdr goes brighter than any oled. Im watching kind hearts and corenets on blu Ray bow and i can't see and black bar blooming.
I have read many reviews of this 2019 version and the consensus is that it's a step backwards from the 2018 model.
Im more than satisfied with my tv and i suspect the price is rediculously cheap now for a TV of this quality. I would recommend this to anyone who uses their TV to play games and as a pc monitor. You will get hdr colour and depth that OLED can't ever match due to oled technical limits that mean that hdr will always be less vibrant than on the 2018 xf900 and the Samsung qled series.
As for the android system. Its never crashes in ovwr a year and i can't see any problem. Then again I don't use any apps on the TV. It's a monitor and all streams come via pc which gives higher quality given my pc significantly higher power than Sonys system.
It's entirely poss that Sony are trying to push people towards their oled. Not everyone wants oled with its incipient and serious problems and lack of brightness (compared to the xf900 and Samsung)

And you can get Burn in too.
Not everyone wants to play Russian roulette with their TV
It seems this model is a step backwards. I have the 65xf9005 and it's superb. The hdr goes brighter than any oled. Im watching kind hearts and corenets on blu Ray bow and i can't see and black bar blooming.
I have read many reviews of this 2019 version and the consensus is that it's a step backwards from the 2018 model.
Im more than satisfied with my tv and i suspect the price is rediculously cheap now for a TV of this quality. I would recommend this to anyone who uses their TV to play games and as a pc monitor. You will get hdr colour and depth that OLED can't ever match due to oled technical limits that mean that hdr will always be less vibrant than on the 2018 xf900 and the Samsung qled series.
As for the android system. Its never crashes in ovwr a year and i can't see any problem. Then again I don't use any apps on the TV. It's a monitor and all streams come via pc which gives higher quality given my pc significantly higher power than Sonys system.
It's entirely poss that Sony are trying to push people towards their oled. Not everyone wants oled with its incipient and serious problems and lack of brightness (compared to the xf900 and Samsung)

OLED burn in isn’t really a thing now on current sets, unless you’re doing ridiculous things with it. Agree that OLED can’t do the brightness of a FALD, but it’s not the be all and end all of, if it can go darker and be pixel-accurate with highlights.

Different strokes etc.

OLED burn in isn’t really a thing now on current sets, unless you’re doing ridiculous things with it. Agree that OLED can’t do the brightness of a FALD, but it’s not the be all and end all of, if it can go darker and be pixel-accurate with highlights.

Different strokes etc.

Burn in definitely is still a thing unfortunately. If it weren't manufacturers would give a warranty against it.

Burn in definitely is still a thing unfortunately. If it weren't manufacturers would give a warranty against it.

No it isn’t. Unless you’re running a TV at full brightness with 24 hour Sky News chyrons or a fixed gaming HUD, you aren’t going to see anything. Some image retention can occur in these extreme situations, but the newer sets have hardware/software solutions to prevent/mitigate even this level of torture-testing.

Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs

These guys are using LG C7s (2 year old model now) and subjecting them to absolutely ridiculous levels of punishment, running 20 hour days with CNN chyrons etc. Getting burn in after the equivalent of 5 years of abuse.

From the article:

“Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.”

No it isn’t. Unless you’re running a TV at full brightness with 24 hour Sky News chyrons or a fixed gaming HUD, you aren’t going to see anything. Some image retention can occur in these extreme situations, but the newer sets have hardware/software solutions to prevent/mitigate even this level of torture-testing.

Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs

These guys are using LG C7s (2 year old model now) and subjecting them to absolutely ridiculous levels of punishment, running 20 hour days with CNN chyrons etc. Getting burn in after the equivalent of 5 years of abuse.

From the article:

“Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.”

https://hdtvtest.co.uk/n/Mounting-Evidence-of-OLED-Screen-Burn-Issues

Dead link, but this article is quoting another article which itself refers to the link I posted, stating burn-in could pose a problem if you abuse a set with static images at max brightness for approx 7 years.

It’s a potential risk, but only in the same way that it’s a risk that your hifi speakers might blow if you play Napalm Death at max volume continuously for the best part of a decade.

Dead link, but this article is quoting another article which itself refers to the link I posted, stating burn-in could pose a problem if you abuse a set with static images at max brightness for approx 7 years.

It’s a potential risk, but only in the same way that it’s a risk that your hifi speakers might blow if you play Napalm Death at max volume continuously for the best part of a decade.

Each to their own but the fact warranties still don't cover burn in tells me all I need to know.

Yet again, the articles quoted state what is obvious, and reiterate my argument. Please take the time to read them fully. If you leave a stationary image on an OLED screen, running for massively extended periods at high brightness, you MAY suffer image retention and potentially burn-in.

The complaints listed are for 2-3 generations of model ago, and again only when used in a manner contrary to that which it was designed for, which isn’t likely to reflect normal use as a TV set. The issues raised could also have been mitigated using the in-built features of the models in question.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, I’m merely stating that with current models of OLED the risk is so diminished as to be insignificant when used as a TV. If you want a high brightness gaming screen for 24-hour Call Of Duty sessions with a fixed HUD, or as a static monitor for commercial use, buy an LCD, they are far better suited for that purpose.

Out-dated scare stories and anecdotal tales of misuse just don’t cut it. The evidence is there to see, unlike the supposed burn-in.

:smashin:
Yet again, the articles quoted state what is obvious, and reiterate my argument. Please take the time to read them fully. If you leave a stationary image on an OLED screen, running for massively extended periods at high brightness, you MAY suffer image retention and potentially burn-in.

The complaints listed are for 2-3 generations of model ago, and again only when used in a manner contrary to that which it was designed for, which isn’t likely to reflect normal use as a TV set. The issues raised could also have been mitigated using the in-built features of the models in question.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, I’m merely stating that with current models of OLED the risk is so diminished as to be insignificant when used as a TV. If you want a high brightness gaming screen for 24-hour Call Of Duty sessions with a fixed HUD, or as a static monitor for commercial use, buy an LCD, they are far better suited for that purpose.

Out-dated scare stories and anecdotal tales of misuse just don’t cut it. The evidence is there to see, unlike the supposed burn-in.

I wouldn't call April 2019 or December 2018 outdated. But may as well leave it there as this has gone way off topic.:smashin:

I wouldn't call April 2019 or December 2018 outdated. But may as well leave it there.

The articles are somewhat current but refer to incidents on models two or three generations old. Please read these things, or articles/reviews on this site, or listen to the AVF podcast. OLED burn-in is no longer a thing to be concerned about for an average home user.

If you still think it is, carry on, but please know that you are basing that on no credible evidence. Perhaps a case of imagination retention?

The articles are somewhat current but refer to incidents on models two or three generations old. Please read these things, or articles/reviews on this site, or listen to the AVF podcast. OLED burn-in is no longer a thing to be concerned about for an average home user.

If you still think it is, carry on, but please know that you are basing that on no credible evidence. Perhaps a case of imagination retention?

I'd like to think you are right as I would quite like my next set to be an OLED. The Panasonic GZ2000 looks like it could be an awesome set. I just keep reading too much current information about screen burn. Maybe we'll know for sure in 2-3 years time when/if the current panels are burn free. Lets hope so. One thing that is for sure, and to try and bring it back on topic, Sony are definitely pumping their research into OLED and not LCD's, as the XG95 seems to show. Or maybe Sony feel they have gone as far as they can in improving the picture quality on this range of LCDs?

I'd like to think you are right as I would quite like my next set to be an OLED. The Panasonic GZ2000 looks like it could be an awesome set. I just keep reading too much current information about screen burn. Maybe we'll know for sure in 2-3 years time when/if the current panels are burn free. Lets hope so.

We’ll have to change your screen-name to OLEDSeeker :thumbsup:

Why would anyone use the internal wifi on Android?

There is one reason only - which is to update the firmware, after that you can disconnect it.

Use Roku or Nvidia or Apple TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom