Question Sony XG9505 Audio Problems

StrikerXL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently own a KD-55XG9505 and I’m very happy with the picture quality and overall performance of the TV.

Everything runs perfectly with X800M2 4K player, Z9F soundbar and the TV setup box connect with 2.0 HDMI kabels through the ARC port. Even movies on external hard drive via USB playback perfectly.

However since I purchased my TV 11 January I’ve been having audio dropouts or completely cutting out during Netflix, YouTube and Google Movies playback.

I’ve updated to the newest firmware, did factory resets multiple times, pull the power plug for a few minutes, cleared the memory and now even got my motherboard replaced by the repair service of Sony, but the problems don’t go away.

Does anybody have an idea what this problem might be or even better have a solution?

I’m really getting desperate since Sony Support doesn’t know either what the problem may be.

Thanks for all your help! 🙏

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm having the same problems as you since the Android 9 firmware update. It's interesting that it doesn't seem to be affecting the Amazon Prime app so it must be something about the way the other apps are handling switching audio modes.

I've also been getting strange behaviour on broadcast TV and very occasional audio drops on devices connected to the TV by HDMI.

I've just posted on the Sony forum about it too:

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions but hopefully enough people will bug them that they'll figure it out!

@arangast I'm almost 99% sure this a firmware/software problem.
I don't have any issues with watching movies via sony 4k player, usb device or tv setup box.

I had a response from Sony support who are still investigating the issue.

As a workaround they suggested switching "Pass through mode" to off in the Audio Output menu and restarting. This seems to have really helped with Netflix and YouTube, and I've had only one audio dropout in the last 3 days (an Atmos show lost audio after about 10 minutes, instead of from the start). Perhaps I've just been lucky so far but give it a go and see if it helps?

I also discovered "Sound mode sync" was causing some of my other drop outs on broadcast TV and apps like iPlayer. Since turning that off too things have been much more stable, although I still get occasional 1 second drops at random times.

I had a response from Sony support who are still investigating the issue.

As a workaround they suggested switching "Pass through mode" to off in the Audio Output menu and restarting. This seems to have really helped with Netflix and YouTube, and I've had only one audio dropout in the last 3 days (an Atmos show lost audio after about 10 minutes, instead of from the start). Perhaps I've just been lucky so far but give it a go and see if it helps?

I also discovered "Sound mode sync" was causing some of my other drop outs on broadcast TV and apps like iPlayer. Since turning that off too things have been much more stable, although I still get occasional 1 second drops at random times.

Thanks for the info and update!
It’s definitely a software/firmware problem on the TV’s side. Hopefully Sony will do something about it.

Hi, any news from sony about this? it seems a lot of people are having these issues since the android 9 update, me included. the last time i spoke to a sony rep she said she is not aware of any other tickets related so it seems odd. i tried every workaround listed here but dropouts always come back and i have to restart in order for the sound to come back.

No further updates from Sony yet.
I do have a solution that works better every time it still happens.
Whenever the issue occurs, just restart the tv by long pressing on the standby button.
After awhile the issues are less and less frequent.

Thanks but i tried restarting many times and the issue always comes back.
do you have any issues with atmos? when i watch netflix content with atmos, when i DO get sound, every time i pause or seek i get crackling popping sound from all speakers. happens only on the native TV apps and only through arc.

Nothing new from me either, I just get emails every 48 hours saying they're still investigating and will be in touch in 48 hours.

Since turning off pass-through mode my netflix problems have reduced significantly. I've only lost sound three times in the past 10 days, twice it was restored by toggling to the TV speakers and back (which you can set as a shortcut on quick settings), but once required switching output mode to PCM temporarily (I couldn't be bothered to restart).

I just registered to say that I also have issues with my 75" Sony TV (mine is x950g). Purchased in January to replace a 8 year old Samsung. For audio I am using my z5500 that is still kicking.

My experience has been that the audio will cut out completely when using the Plex app. I would say that it happens once every 2 or 3 days. Generally it's not when I'm actively watching something, but rather immediately after an episode or movie ends and when I start browsing through the Plex menu again. It might have happened once or twice with Netflix as well.

The ONLY solution for me is to unplug the TV completely and then plug back in. VERY annoying. My 8 year old Samsung never had this issue. This is absolutely a software/firmware issue and it would be great if Sony could do some investigation. My wife would greatly appreciate a fix so she doesn't have to listen to me curse out my $2,500 TV every few days... :)

I just registered to say that I also have issues with my 75" Sony TV (mine is x950g). Purchased in January to replace a 8 year old Samsung. For audio I am using my z5500 that is still kicking.

My experience has been that the audio will cut out completely when using the Plex app. I would say that it happens once every 2 or 3 days. Generally it's not when I'm actively watching something, but rather immediately after an episode or movie ends and when I start browsing through the Plex menu again. It might have happened once or twice with Netflix as well.

The ONLY solution for me is to unplug the TV completely and then plug back in. VERY annoying. My 8 year old Samsung never had this issue. This is absolutely a software/firmware issue and it would be great if Sony could do some investigation. My wife would greatly appreciate a fix so she doesn't have to listen to me curse out my $2,500 TV every few days... :)
did you contact sony about this? when i complained they said there were no pending tickets about this.
the more people complain, we will increase our chances for a response.

did you contact sony about this? when i complained they said there were no pending tickets about this.
the more people complain, we will increase our chances for a response.

I have not. What's the best way to contact them?

I have the same problems with 65XG9505. After using plex or netflix the sound goes out. It hapens 1-2 times per day. I need restart TV every day.
I contact Sonny suport, but the only solution was to reset factory setting -this did not remove the problem.
I have not information about firmare update.

I think the best would be to claim TV. But I do not know if the reclamation would be recognized.

I have the same problems with 65XG9505. After using plex or netflix the sound goes out. It hapens 1-2 times per day. I need restart TV every day.
I contact Sonny suport, but the only solution was to reset factory setting -this did not remove the problem.
I have not information about firmare update.

I think the best would be to claim TV. But I do not know if the reclamation would be recognized.
what do you mean by "claim TV"?. i am very content with the TV other than this issue and some others (like TV apps don't support trueHD or DTS HD MA passthrough).
but i do think the more people will complain the better our chances for a fix.

what do you mean by "claim TV"?. i am very content with the TV other than this issue and some others (like TV apps don't support trueHD or DTS HD MA passthrough).
but i do think the more people will complain the better our chances for a fix.
Claim i mean complaint.
I am bothered by sound dropt during usage TV.
I don't know if Sony will ever fix it.

I will wait for update for my country. No update available for my language yet.

Sony support told me to switch off audio passtrouth to correct audio drop-out.
When I try it Dolby Digital looks good, but DTS doesn't work at all.

did the update. still same issue with audio drop-out.
checked avsforum and other users experiencing the same issue even after the new update.

Try restarting the TV. For the past 2 days, its been way more reliable. Barely happens anymore. I didn’t think Sony would ever fix it. I recommend you call Sony, ask for a technician to visit your home to reproduce the issue in your environment. This issue is annoying as F, and they need to do whatever It takes to fix it.

Last edited:
I will wait for update for my country. No update available for my language yet.

Sony support told me to switch off audio passtrouth to correct audio drop-out.
When I try it Dolby Digital looks good, but DTS doesn't work at all.

That’s not a fix, its a workaround. The code is literally broken, and can’t be fixed on the customer side of things. Company needs to fix their code, and push out a fix. This recent update has been great for me these past 2 days, time will tell if it lasts. Hopefully it works for you, when it arrives in your language.

That’s not a fix, its a workaround. The code is literally broken, and can’t be fixed on the customer side of things. Company needs to fix their code, and push out a fix. This recent update has been great for me these past 2 days, time will tell if it lasts. Hopefully it works for you, when it arrives in your language.

i connected the tv with ADB to see debug logs and sure enough when this happens there are a lot of errors and exceptions in the code, a shame sony doesn't recognize the issue. it does not happen every day but still its annoying as hell when it does happen, i guess you will need to wait at least a week.

did you factory reset the TV after the update?

i connected the tv with ADB to see debug logs and sure enough when this happens there are a lot of errors and exceptions in the code, a shame sony doesn't recognize the issue. it does not happen every day but still its annoying as hell when it does happen, i guess you will need to wait at least a week.

did you factory reset the TV after the update?

Nope, just a soft restart. Ie. turn TV off and on. There are still minor issues with sound, but all I have to do is a soft restart to fix. Big improvement. It’s gone nearly all day without issues. I’ve been testing it too by switching between Atmos, Dolby 5.1, system sounds, Netflix and YouTube apps, Blu-Ray etc. Big improvements these past 2 days. ARC and CEC have worked so well.

Nope, just a soft restart. Ie. turn TV off and on. There are still minor issues with sound, but all I have to do is a soft restart to fix. Big improvement. It’s gone nearly all day without issues. I’ve been testing it too by switching between Atmos, Dolby 5.1, system sounds, Netflix and YouTube apps, Blu-Ray etc. Big improvements these past 2 days. ARC and CEC have worked so well.
tnx!
regarding a different issue which sony support won't help me with,
do you know why HD audio (TrueHD, DTS HD-MA and other lossless formats) won't pass-through using the TV apps (e-ARC is enabled on all devices). it only works through the TV's external hdmi input (like nvidia shield) when connected to the TV but internal apps can't pass-through HD audio so i wonder what is the limitation? (if they can do it using HDMI external device why not with TV native apps)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom