Sony XG9505 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion thread

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
Reaction score
May as well kick off a new thread as there doesn't appear to be one. I've just picked this up from JL for 999... Seems great so far...

My current picture settings are as follows...

Picture mode Standard
Brightness 39
Contrast 69
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black adjust off
Adv contrast enhancer Off
Local dimming High
Xtended dynamic range medium

Colour 60
Hue 0
Coloyr temp warm
Adv colour temp
Live colour off

Sharpness 66
Reality creation off
Digital noise off
Smooth gradation off

Motionflow off
Film mode auto

hdr mode auto
Hdmi range auto
Colour space auto

Last edited:
Out of interest is there any particular reason you are using Standard rather than Cinema Home?

For brightness I would recommend setting it to max but then enabling the light sensor and trusting the TV to choose the correct brightness level for your ambience.

Sharpness seems a bit high also? Reality creation off, how come?

Also X-tended Dynamic Range is supposed to be Off for SDR. It should only be on (High) for HDR.

Motionflow try Custom, Smoothness 0, Clearness 1 (engages X-motion clarity technology) with Film mode Auto like you already have.

Lots of this is of course personal preference.

Really hope you enjoy and are happy with this TV :)

Out of interest is there any particular reason you are using Standard rather than Cinema Home?

For brightness I would recommend setting it to max but then enabling the light sensor and trusting the TV to choose the correct brightness level for your ambience.

Also X-tended Dynamic Range is supposed to be Off for SDR. It should only be on (High) for HDR.

Motionflow try Custom, Smoothness 0, Clearness 1 (engages X-motion clarity technology) with Film mode Auto like you already have.

Cheers dude..I'll have a play with it..I've guy it looking exactly how I like it atm but you know what it's like... You've got lots of tvs to fiddle with haven't you..goodness me..I thought I was bad haha

Your sharpness seems to be a bit too high, if you like a sharp chrisp picture like I do, try sharpness 50 and reality creation between 55 and 75, that's how I have it and I love it. I also have contrast lower like you, I have it at 70 or 75, most people have it at 90 but I don't like it that way, you lose details in bright stuff and whites and a bit less contrast for me is easier on eyes. Xtended dynamic range should be off for SDr like Mallett94 said. I have colours only at 54, not really a fan of too vivid picture. Btw I have XE and XF models not XG model but I can use nearly identical settings for XE and XF at least in SDR, but maybe not for XG as it has ultimate processor.

In SDR my brightness is like 3 😂

unless it’s in a well lit room, then it goes up to the mid 20’s. For HDR it’s max of course

REALLY tempted by this to replace my Sony X8505b from 2014 in the living room. I have the 55XF9005 in my gaming/cinema room and love it.

In SDR my brightness is like 3 😂

unless it’s in a well lit room, then it goes up to the mid 20’s. For HDR it’s max of course

REALLY tempted by this to replace my Sony X8505b from 2014 in the living room. I have the 55XF9005 in my gaming/cinema room and love it.
Yeah 39 out of 50 for SDR is wayyyyyyyyyy to high IMO if you are targeting industry standard of 120 nits.

You should try setting your Brightness to Max and enabling the light sensor. It will probably drop the brightness down to a level similar to what you already have, but with the added bonus of if your ambient light settings do change at some point, then the TV will auto adjust to the 'correct' brightness for you :)

Yeah 39 out of 50 for SDR is wayyyyyyyyyy to high IMO if you are targeting industry standard of 120 nits.

You should try setting your Brightness to Max and enabling the light sensor. It will probably drop the brightness down to a level similar to what you already have, but with the added bonus of if your ambient light settings do change at some point, then the TV will auto adjust to the 'correct' brightness for you :)

Yeah 39 brightness cna burn of your eyes lol and XG is even brighter then XF. I use 40 or 50 only if the sun is shinning direct into the room and on the TV, otherwise I have it at 20 with clearness on 2.

Yeah 39 brightness cna burn of your eyes lol and XG is even brighter then XF. I use 40 or 50 only if the sun is shinning direct into the room and on the TV, otherwise I have it at 20 with clearness on 2.

Does clearness 2 engage 'X-motion clarity' on your model? On the xf900 clearness had to be explicitly at 1 in order to engage it. Anything higher then it just did 'regular' bfi. It might be worth checking that on yours because X-motion clarity is really good! 😊

Does clearness 2 engage 'X-motion clarity' on your model? On the xf900 clearness had to be explicitly at 1 in order to engage it. Anything higher then it just did 'regular' bfi. It might be worth checking that on yours because X-motion clarity is really good! 😊
All good points guys..seems like I need the brightness range adjusting down to between 25-35... Lol..
I used to an oled for punch mind you...and just had the brightest tv I've ever seen in the q90r. Was like looking at the sun..lol

What does the xtended range thing do? I've been accustomed to oled for a couple of years.

And do you put the black adjust on too? Low medium or high

I have XF model not XG, I'm thinking to exchange it with XG, remember? :p Good to know, so I should use only clearness at 1.

I've trued movie mode...totally skews my settings and looks sooo bright. Maybe try mine and see as the numbers aren't that high and bright on standard mode

XG9505 has only one cinema preset, called just cinema, it doesn't have cinema pro and cinema home like XE and XF, maybe it's behaving different.

I think maybe the above user didn't enable the light sensor after increasing the brightness to max. No matter as he has returned the TV now anyway.

I have this on the way at 65".

What simple settings are we recommending each time I move between:
- standard TV on freeview
- netflix
- all the sports (wired BT and streaming sky)?

And gaming, because I'm still a child.

I have this on the way at 65".

What simple settings are we recommending each time I move between:
- standard TV on freeview
- netflix
- all the sports (wired BT and streaming sky)?

And gaming, because I'm still a child.

@Crunchie would be a good person to ask :)

I'm finding the easiest setting to leave motion on is Automatic. I haven't watched any sport yet though.

Definitely have Motionflow on Custom with Clearness 1 and Film mode Auto like Crunchie says. Smoothness level is up to you :)

Does anyone know how to remove duplicate HDMI Input Labels? When I installed the TV I had Sky Q connected to HDMI 2 and the TV automatically named the HDMI Input as Sky Q. I since moved it to HDMI 1 and named the HDMI Input Label as Sky Q, but now I see two inputs for HDMI 1 when I press the input button on the remote. There are only 4 HDMI labels showing in the TV's settings menu and if I disable HDMI 1 then both of the pointers to HDMI 1 get removed. When I re-enable HDMI 1 I get two icons for it on the TV again (one is an icon of the HDMI socket and the other is an icon of a set-top box). How do I permanently remove the latter reference which the TV allocated for me on initial setup? (See attached image). Thanks.

Attachments

• HDMI Inputs.jpg
    HDMI Inputs.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 523
Does anyone know how to remove duplicate HDMI Input Labels? When I installed the TV I had Sky Q connected to HDMI 2 and the TV automatically named the HDMI Input as Sky Q. I since moved it to HDMI 1 and named the HDMI Input Label as Sky Q, but now I see two inputs for HDMI 1 when I press the input button on the remote. There are only 4 HDMI labels showing in the TV's settings menu and if I disable HDMI 1 then both of the pointers to HDMI 1 get removed. When I re-enable HDMI 1 I get two icons for it on the TV again (one is an icon of the HDMI socket and the other is an icon of a set-top box). How do I permanently remove the latter reference which the TV allocated for me on initial setup? (See attached image). Thanks.
This is just the behaviour of the external input selection tool. It lists all the HDMI inputs like 'plainly' but then if there is a device plugged into one of them which Bravia sync works with (hdmi-cec) then this input is repeated as a 'player'.

If you select the plain hdmi input when switching and the device plugged into that hdmi port is off, the TV switches to that input but the device remains off. If you switch to that hdmi input but clicking the 'player' input, the TV switches to that input and also turns on the device.

Hope this explains it okay.

Thanks Mallett94, this worked a treat! I'm loving the "pop" of this TV but there is one niggle that remains - the Pictures on Sky Q and Netflix are very slightly ahead of the Audio on all channels. Freeview-HD, USB file playback is spot on. I'm connecting my Sky Q box to the TV via HDMI and feeding all the TV sound through an oprical cable into my stereo hi-fi amp. I've tried every sound mode on the Sky Q box and they slight synch issue remains (BBC 1,2,ITV). I moved the Sky Q connection from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 but no different. AudioSync on the TV is set to Auto. Setting it to ON made no difference. Any idea what I could try next?

Thanks Mallett94, this worked a treat! I'm loving the "pop" of this TV but there is one niggle that remains - the Pictures on Sky Q and Netflix are very slightly ahead of the Audio on all channels. Freeview-HD, USB file playback is spot on. I'm connecting my Sky Q box to the TV via HDMI and feeding all the TV sound through an oprical cable into my stereo hi-fi amp. I've tried every sound mode on the Sky Q box and they slight synch issue remains (BBC 1,2,ITV). I moved the Sky Q connection from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 but no different. AudioSync on the TV is set to Auto. Setting it to ON made no difference. Any idea what I could try next?

I us to get this and found a soft reset on the TV and or resetting my Sky Q box resolved it. Strangely doesn't seem to happen now.

Will a soft reset of the TV delete all my picture settings? How do I reset the Sky Q box?

I fixed the Sky Q Sync problem! On the TV I turned A/V Sync OFF (it defaults to Auto. Both Auto and On throw out the sync but OFF leaves everything alone and in sync).

Sony Android TV: Settings / Display & Sound / Advanced / Audio Output / A/V Sync = OFF

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying the 55' model of this TV. This will be used in a dark room and I will only use it hooked up to my PC for some web browsing but mostly videos of multiple types : Blu-Rays (I own only 1080p no 4k yet), DVDs and streaming services. Since I nearly only watch subtitled content, I'm planning on disabling local dimming and X-tended dynamic range features to prevent blooming on subtitles and brightness changes. Is this TV a good idea for this ? Would the picture look good, without washed out blacks / clouding ?

I can get the 55XG9505 for 950€ or the 55XF9005 for 100€ less.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom