Sony XG9505 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion thread

Hi,

I've read in several forums that the xg9505 suffers from bad performance of Dolby Vision content from built in apps, like Netflix. People complained about very washed out colors, that make it unwatchable. Some of them said that they've reduced their Netflix account to HD to overcome it.
Does this issue affect all xg9505 sets? Is it acknowledged by Sony? Is there a firmware update that addresses this issue?
I'm considering buying the xg9505, but I'm a bit dettered by this.
I had the xf which had terrible dolby vision.i now have the xg and no problems with dolby vision.

Hi,

I moved house at the start of the year and, in the process, the moving company managed to lose a box containing (amongst other things) the feet and remote for our 55" XG95.

They've decided that they will pay for replacements, but I'm having trouble finding where I can buy the replacement feet in the UK.

The officially suggested EET Europarts seems to be terrible - they have no pictures or information for the parts they supply, and I can't see any titles mentioning 'feet'/'legs'/'stands'.

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Hi,

I've read in several forums that the xg9505 suffers from bad performance of Dolby Vision content from built in apps, like Netflix. People complained about very washed out colors, that make it unwatchable. Some of them said that they've reduced their Netflix account to HD to overcome it.
Does this issue affect all xg9505 sets? Is it acknowledged by Sony? Is there a firmware update that addresses this issue?
I'm considering buying the xg9505, but I'm a bit dettered by this.

XF9005 suffers from this problem not XG9505. I had XF9005 and XG9505 at the same time, kept XG9505. XG9505 is much better for DV with three presets, Dark, Bright, Vivid and even Netflix calibrated.

I've read of people having issues with Dolby Vision on a Sony XF9005, but not the XG9505. The XG9505 has two Dolby Vision settings, Bright/Dark and a calibrated Netflix mode.
You forgot Vivid, it has three presets, Dark, Bright, Vidvid and Netlfix calibrated

I had the xf which had terrible dolby vision.i now have the xg and no problems with dolby vision.

Same here.

Biggest thing I’m wanting for this TV right now is the Apple TV App

Seen people mention the Netflix calibrated mode, do most people use this when watching on Netflix? I only discovered it the other day and never heard about it

Also any tips on a previous problem I mentioned a few months ago about Alexa turning my TV on to off and saying it’s having trouble connecting to the TV, not sure if anyone else has experienced this but if I turn the TV off with Alexa and ask her to turn it back on half hour or hour later she states problem connecting to this device

About to buy an x950g. Due to the lockdown I can't go see one in the flesh so to speak? How bad is the blooming? And what is the darkroom performance of the TV like? Torn between this and a Q85R. Although the pricr and motion are swinging me towards the Sony.

If you drive the tv to max settings you will see some blooming but i dont think its as bad as some people make out.i dont use max settings and dont see blooming.remember its a very bright tv so doesnt need to driven to max unless you are in a super bright room.i use it in a room that can get very dark and the tv still looks good.

What kind of content will you be watching? My 55 was delivered at the weekend so not really had a chance to try out a lot of content but I only use the native apps, blu ray and switch. I watched justice league on Netflix Saturday night and the picture quality seemed spot on plenty of detail and blacks looked black (to my eyes) although there was the odd audio skipping/delay, I've noticed a bit of blooming/double vision on subtitles/on screen text when playing Zelda BOTW but didn't notice any issue with subtitles on the Last Dance documentary on Netflix and had no audio issues with this either. You don't mention what size your after but over the bank holiday weekend Currys had £144 off taking it down to £855, I got Richer Sounds to price match and beat so got it for £845. Its back up to £999 most places so might be worth waiting for the price to drop again if your not in a rush. An alterative I was looking at was a refurbished Panasonic 950B OLED via the ebay store, again at the time it was down to £855 (none available at the moment in 55 but the 65 is available). The Sony Centre has a refurbished AG8 OLED for £999 and you can normally get extended warranty

Last edited:
Is there nowhere on the internet to get a list of settings for this TV that the average Joe can understand and input. It’s so frustrating knowing that it can be even better than it is but not knowing how to achieve it. 😀

What kind of content will you be watching? My 55 was delivered at the weekend so not really had a chance to try out a lot of content but I only use the native apps, blu ray and switch. I watched justice league on Netflix Saturday night and the picture quality seemed spot on plenty of detail and blacks looked black (to my eyes) although there was the odd audio skipping/delay, I've noticed a bit of blooming/double vision on subtitles/on screen text when playing Zelda BOTW but didn't notice any issue with subtitles on the Last Dance documentary on Netflix and had no audio issues with this either. You don't mention what size your after but over the bank holiday weekend Currys had £144 off taking it down to £855, I got Richer Sounds to price match and beat so got it for £845. Its back up to £999 most places so might be worth waiting for the price to drop again if your not in a rush. An alterative I was looking at was a refurbished Panasonic 950B OLED via the ebay store, again at the time it was down to £855 (none available at the moment in 55 but the 65 is available). The Sony Centre has a refurbished AG8 OLED for £999 and you can normally get extended warranty

Thanks guys!

I will mainly be watching 1080 HD content on Netflix and Prime. However, I would like something that can display HDR well, as once or twice a week, we will watch a film in 4K or 4K series in Prime also. I have a PS4, but its not the Pro version, will likely get PS5 or new XBOX. Ultimately I want something that can replicate HDR well. Reviewers haven't been overly kind to the x950G but I am drawn to it. Given the COVID-19 crisis, its impossible to see both to compare to Q85R, but with me being a little impatient I want to order something in the next day or so.

MK1, that sounds like an excellent deal you got. Im after a 65" of either the X950G or Q85R. Its a tough call between Sony's slightly more real picture and motion vs less blooming on the Samsung.

Worth noting not all 4k content is HDR some will still be SDR. Theres no doubting having extra zones reduces blooming and if your primary viewing was 4k HDR movies that will have black bars top and bottom and you didnt want an OLED then the samsung would be the go to. Apart from that it then comes down to price/preferred OS/preferred upscaling and motion control. Ive not viewed or used a samsung so cant comment on the OS and upscaling/motion control. The XG95 OS is more than acceptable for me and since updating it i've had no issues (although still early days). The up scaling and processing on the sony is spot on and most the reviews reflect this too. Another option to consider is the older XF9005 which is still available for £999 in 65 inch. For the same money as the Samsung the refurbed Panasonic 950B in 65inch is on ebay at £1325 (£75 off listing pricing at time of posting). There is thread about the Panasonic refurbs on the deals section.

I've had ande
Worth noting not all 4k content is HDR some will still be SDR. Theres no doubting having extra zones reduces blooming and if your primary viewing was 4k HDR movies that will have black bars top and bottom and you didnt want an OLED then the samsung would be the go to. Apart from that it then comes down to price/preferred OS/preferred upscaling and motion control. Ive not viewed or used a samsung so cant comment on the OS and upscaling/motion control. The XG95 OS is more than acceptable for me and since updating it i've had no issues (although still early days). The up scaling and processing on the sony is spot on and most the reviews reflect this too. Another option to consider is the older XF9005 which is still available for £999 in 65 inch. For the same money as the Samsung the refurbed Panasonic 950B in 65inch is on ebay at £1325 (£75 off listing pricing at time of posting). There is thread about the Panasonic refurbs on the deals section.

I've had two Samsung's. Whilst very good TVs I think motion isn't their strong point. What is pushing me towards the Sony is the motion and the more realistic colours at the expense of some blooming.

I'm put off by the X900Fs remote and complaints regarding it's operating system. The Panasonic refurb sounds good but I'd rather get something new with a long warranty.

I think a lot of the complaints about the old remote are over the top (I didn't think the plastics used on the LG remote were any nicer when I was looking at them in John Lewis) but the layout of the newer remote is better, shame they waited another year to roll out a remote that is back lit (XH model has this). Which ever make you go for I'm sure it will be a great viewing experience for the majority of your content. Reading Phil's review on here he does praise the SDR performance his main issue was the HDR performance of movies not at full screen and AV forums reviews are weighted towards the performance of 4K UHD Blu ray viewing and the ability to view content as the director intended. HDR performance of content at full screen is very good, as a quick test I put on Our Planet on Netflix and it looks stunning. RTINGS also score the XG95 well (I prefer their method of scoring as its allow easier comparison with other models). Audio performance of TV never bothers me as I use an AV and full size speakers but again something you may need to consider.

Another option in the same (upper) price window is the 65inch LG B9, its available from Costco online for £1499 with 5 Year Warranty, (you need to be a member to see the price). I believe people have managed to get RS to price match Costco in the past.

Sony are know for premium TV's and generally premium products. They still regularly get 5 star rating and reviews. At least Sony are still making premium LCD LED TVs with FALD etc unlike Panasonic. LG non OLED TV's get very bad reviews. Unfortunately it appears your have received a faulty refurbished TV. I hope you are able to return it and get a refund or a replacement.
I think a lot of the complaints about the old remote are over the top (I didn't think the plastics used on the LG remote were any nicer when I was looking at them in John Lewis) but the layout of the newer remote is better, shame they waited another year to roll out a remote that is back lit (XH model has this). Which ever make you go for I'm sure it will be a great viewing experience for the majority of your content. Reading Phil's review on here he does praise the SDR performance his main issue was the HDR performance of movies not at full screen and AV forums reviews are weighted towards the performance of 4K UHD Blu ray viewing and the ability to view content as the director intended. HDR performance of content at full screen is very good, as a quick test I put on Our Planet on Netflix and it looks stunning. RTINGS also score the XG95 well (I prefer their method of scoring as its allow easier comparison with other models). Audio performance of TV never bothers me as I use an AV and full size speakers but again something you may need to consider.

Another option in the same (upper) price window is the 65inch LG B9, its available from Costco online for £1499 with 5 Year Warranty, (you need to be a member to see the price). I believe people have managed to get RS to price match Costco in the past.

Thanks MK1. I've been looking at OLEDs. I had an hour long chat with sales rep at Richer Sounds yesterday and he warned me off an OLED because I game a lot. The HUD found in most games would leave a static burn.

I'll probably make a choice on the X950G or Q85R later today.

Thanks MK1. I've been looking at OLEDs. I had an hour long chat with sales rep at Richer Sounds yesterday and he warned me off an OLED because I game a lot. The HUD found in most games would leave a static burn.

I'll probably make a choice on the X950G or Q85R later today.
I looked at OLEDS and although having seen a few in the flesh I agree the picture looks better, especially black levels after I discussed this with richer sounds and from my own research OLED technology is really flawed with burn-in issues. The latest 2019 models onwards have various measures built in to prevent burn-in, the process can actually degrade the pixels over time. Until the burn in can be completely removed or warranties cover burn-in then I don't think OLED will be for me.

You may not have been my further post but I ended up returning my XG95 due to some faults with the unit. I got the Q90R instead which can be had for £200 more than the XG95 at the moment at richer sounds. The 55 Q90R has 240 dimming zones compared to 100 on the Q85R and only 50 on the XG95. The build quality and picture performance is great and was definitely worth the upgrade to me. If you game a lot then the Q90R has a lower input lag and ALLM and VRR, the only HDMI 2.1 feature missing is eARC which I believe should be arriving soon by a firmware update. I hope this helps. The viewing angles on the Q90R are fantastic as are black levels.

I looked at OLEDS and although having seen a few in the flesh I agree the picture looks better, especially black levels after I discussed this with richer sounds and from my own research OLED technology is really flawed with burn-in issues. The latest 2019 models onwards have various measures built in to prevent burn-in, the process can actually degrade the pixels over time. Until the burn in can be completely removed or warranties cover burn-in then I don't think OLED will be for me.

You may not have been my further post but I ended up returning my XG95 due to some faults with the unit. I got the Q90R instead which can be had for £200 more than the XG95 at the moment at richer sounds. The 55 Q90R has 240 dimming zones compared to 100 on the Q85R and only 50 on the XG95. The build quality and picture performance is great and was definitely worth the upgrade to me. If you game a lot then the Q90R has a lower input lag and ALLM and VRR, the only HDMI 2.1 feature missing is eARC which I believe should be arriving soon by a firmware update. I hope this helps. The viewing angles on the Q90R are fantastic as are black levels.

Good to hear. The Q90R sounds like a beast. My only worry with the QLEDs is the motion and colours being too garish. How does the picture compare to x950G

In movie mode on the Q90R the colours, skin tones etc are great. There is a dynamic mode that is ridiculously saturated and bright and where they get their 2000 nits brightness figure from. Motion is not automatically as strong as the Sony and needs adjusting but the Samsung is not far behind.

Mine’s taking a long time to format the usb memory stick, over 15 mins as of writing this. Is this normal?

Hi everybody, apologies in advance for the long post. I’ve just had a 65” XG95 delivered yesterday & I’m having some issues with it that I haven’t seen pointed out in reviews, so I’m just wondering if it’s a faulty set, if my settings are incorrect, if the signal for the content is bad or if I’m just expecting too much, hopefully it’s not that.

The first thing I noticed was skin in HD content doesn’t seem particularly defined, I always remember when I bought my first HD TV just over a decade ago, I was amazed at the texture of skin which you just never paid attention to on old sets, pores were obvious whereas before, they weren’t. So the first thing I noticed on this set was, unspectacular skin detail, ok it was just a quiz show, so I switched to one of the sky movie channels (sky Q, not 4K just HD) & Godzilla was on, it was a dark scene & I thought I saw horizontal bars all throughout the image, nothing was particularly well defined & colours were muddy with poor gradation/ banding.

So I googled best settings & set it up as recommended on rtings.com but it didn’t seem much better. I then remembered how bad SD content looked on my old HD tv when I got that & thought maybe that was just the way HD stuff was going to look now, but since most content is still just HD I hoped not, reviews didn’t seems to indicate that & my parents Samsung Q70 didn’t seem to have this problem. As far as I can tell this set should be good at upscaling anyway.

Then I tried Disney+ (Using the native app) knowing I would find 4K content, I watched a few minutes of Captain Marvel & it looked pretty good, I wasn’t blown away, but I didn’t see faults. Today I realised I still hadn’t tried any HD content that you would really expect to look good, so I tried Game of Thrones on sky again, this time during a dark scene the banding/ gradation of colours was really bad, there was a red tree in the background & it was really just a few splodges of different shades of red, I paused it to make sure I wasn’t being over critical but it was definitely not great & the horizontal lines were all through the display again.

I’ve since tried Our Planet on Netflix (not 4K) both through sky & on the native app, thinking that would test it out with brighter colours & the foliage again either looked to be full of digital artifacts or have poor gradation of colour, not during close ups but anything off in the distance or in wide shots. I’m not expecting to see individual leaves from spectacular distances, but it just didn’t look right.

Finally I tried Disney+ again but this time during the opening of Infinity War there was clear banding in a close up of thanos’s armour where it was supposed to be in shadow.

So I don’t know what to think, the only thing I haven’t tried is a Blu-ray (that’ll only be standard HD, no 4K player yet) so I’m kind of wondering if it could be the signal through the satellite dish or the WiFi, but I don’t see why they would be an issue, but equally I don’t understand how the TV could be at fault, everything I’ve read & watched online said to be aware of off centre viewing, blooming & reflections, but non of that is bothering me.

I’ve attached a couple of pics anyway, they look worse than it actually does, but it doesn’t look good

Attachments

• CCD86D6E-35E3-475B-A5EF-8593FFA5646D.jpeg
    CCD86D6E-35E3-475B-A5EF-8593FFA5646D.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 3DA3D121-B4DC-46A6-AB5A-2C1FAC789C49.jpeg
    3DA3D121-B4DC-46A6-AB5A-2C1FAC789C49.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 163
Hi everybody, apologies in advance for the long post. I’ve just had a 65” XG95 delivered yesterday & I’m having some issues with it that I haven’t seen pointed out in reviews, so I’m just wondering if it’s a faulty set, if my settings are incorrect, if the signal for the content is bad or if I’m just expecting too much, hopefully it’s not that.

The first thing I noticed was skin in HD content doesn’t seem particularly defined, I always remember when I bought my first HD TV just over a decade ago, I was amazed at the texture of skin which you just never paid attention to on old sets, pores were obvious whereas before, they weren’t. So the first thing I noticed on this set was, unspectacular skin detail, ok it was just a quiz show, so I switched to one of the sky movie channels (sky Q, not 4K just HD) & Godzilla was on, it was a dark scene & I thought I saw horizontal bars all throughout the image, nothing was particularly well defined & colours were muddy with poor gradation/ banding.

So I googled best settings & set it up as recommended on rtings.com but it didn’t seem much better. I then remembered how bad SD content looked on my old HD tv when I got that & thought maybe that was just the way HD stuff was going to look now, but since most content is still just HD I hoped not, reviews didn’t seems to indicate that & my parents Samsung Q70 didn’t seem to have this problem. As far as I can tell this set should be good at upscaling anyway.

Then I tried Disney+ (Using the native app) knowing I would find 4K content, I watched a few minutes of Captain Marvel & it looked pretty good, I wasn’t blown away, but I didn’t see faults. Today I realised I still hadn’t tried any HD content that you would really expect to look good, so I tried Game of Thrones on sky again, this time during a dark scene the banding/ gradation of colours was really bad, there was a red tree in the background & it was really just a few splodges of different shades of red, I paused it to make sure I wasn’t being over critical but it was definitely not great & the horizontal lines were all through the display again.

I’ve since tried Our Planet on Netflix (not 4K) both through sky & on the native app, thinking that would test it out with brighter colours & the foliage again either looked to be full of digital artifacts or have poor gradation of colour, not during close ups but anything off in the distance or in wide shots. I’m not expecting to see individual leaves from spectacular distances, but it just didn’t look right.

Finally I tried Disney+ again but this time during the opening of Infinity War there was clear banding in a close up of thanos’s armour where it was supposed to be in shadow.

So I don’t know what to think, the only thing I haven’t tried is a Blu-ray (that’ll only be standard HD, no 4K player yet) so I’m kind of wondering if it could be the signal through the satellite dish or the WiFi, but I don’t see why they would be an issue, but equally I don’t understand how the TV could be at fault, everything I’ve read & watched online said to be aware of off centre viewing, blooming & reflections, but non of that is bothering me.

I’ve attached a couple of pics anyway, they look worse than it actually does, but it doesn’t look good

I checked the infinity war footage on Disney plus and got the same results although I'm sat over 4m away from my tv (and only 55inch) that I wouldn't notice banding like that but stood directly in front of the tv yes the banding was there. I put the bluray on as well and had the same effect. I believe the banding there maybe content related though as the main focus in that shot isn't his shoulder, you would need someone with OLED to compare and check. I cant do a comparison with Netflix as I have the 4k HDR package and Our Planet for me looks stunning.

I checked the infinity war footage on Disney plus and got the same results although I'm sat over 4m away from my tv (and only 55inch) that I wouldn't notice banding like that but stood directly in front of the tv yes the banding was there. I put the bluray on as well and had the same effect. I believe the banding there maybe content related though as the main focus in that shot isn't his shoulder, you would need someone with OLED to compare and check. I cant do a comparison with Netflix as I have the 4k HDR package and Our Planet for me looks stunning.
I returned my XG95 due to blooming issues in the black bars like the picture show above, amongst over problems. I got the Q90R instead and sit closer then 4m and I have no such problem with banding or blooming through Disney plus even at an angle.

Thanks for taking the time to do that

It sounds like that particular issue (Shouldergate) is content based then, I don’t pretend to understand the technicalities of it but the problem with that kind of thing is that it’s not the focus of the scene & it distracted my attention, admittedly though I was looking for errors so perhaps if I had just been watching the film it wouldn’t have jumped out. Also, I might be sitting too close :D

If I can get to the bottom of some of these other problems I may look into upgrading to 4K for Netflix, though its linked to sky at the moment & it seems pretty faffy to actually do it.

I returned my XG95 due to blooming issues in the black bars like the picture show above, amongst over problems. I got the Q90R instead and sit closer then 4m and I have no such problem with banding or blooming through Disney plus even at an angle.
The Q90 was the other set I was looking at, after I ruled out oled due to burn in paranoia, I went with the XG95 due to reviews implying it was as good as the Q90, except for viewing angles/ blooming & reflections and actually better at colour accuracy/ motion & contrast, plus nearly £1000 cheaper. Other than the blooming and viewing angles would you say there is much between the two sets?

I should point out that the blooming visible in the pictures I didn’t find to be a problem at all in real life, those pics really do look a lot worse than it actually is.

My main concern now is the slight muddy quality of HD content & the horizontal lines. If I can sort that out I’ll be more than happy

Haven't experienced any such issues, I'm using a sky q v2 box and find the picture excellent, but I don't watch in the dark so I wouldn't see blooming if there was any. I definitely haven't seen any banding, dse or any other picture issues so either I'm lucky or you've been unlucky.

The Q90 was the other set I was looking at, after I ruled out oled due to burn in paranoia, I went with the XG95 due to reviews implying it was as good as the Q90, except for viewing angles/ blooming & reflections and actually better at colour accuracy/ motion & contrast, plus nearly £1000 cheaper. Other than the blooming and viewing angles would you say there is much between the two sets?

I should point out that the blooming visible in the pictures I didn’t find to be a problem at all in real life, those pics really do look a lot worse than it actually is.

My main concern now is the slight muddy quality of HD content & the horizontal lines. If I can sort that out I’ll be more than happy
I am with you on the OLED, however despite the Q90R not having Dolby Vision and the motion slightly better on the XG95, the Q90R seems better in every other department.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom