Sony XH95 4K LCD TV Preview

BT.1886 is the"new standard" for SDR. sRGB/REC809 is what came before, and is better suited to news, cartoons, sports etc. BT.1886 is what movies and cinematic TV shows are graded to, so it is best to use it for movies and TV shows. The two were made available to give options.

Paul
Perfect cheers

Interesting video of the x90f vs LG series 90. I think it illustrates that 'good' and 'bad' black level performance can be quite relative. Even though Sony lcd's get a lot of flak for their blooming, you can do a lot worse.

Interesting video of the x90f vs LG series 90. I think it illustrates that 'good' and 'bad' black level performance can be quite relative. Even though Sony lcd's get a lot of flak for their blooming, you can do a lot worse.

And it's possible to have even worse blacks with an edge led IPS. That's why I don't understand the hate for Sony FALD Tv's and all this blooming and grey black comments. Sony FALD doesn't have grey blacks, direct led and edge led VA and IPS TV's without FALD have grey blacks. Sony FALD is far from grey, it's a great balance between good blacks and great shadow detail, no other LED TV offers this.

And it's possible to have even worse blacks with an edge led IPS. That's why I don't understand the hate for Sony FALD Tv's and all this blooming and grey black comments. Sony FALD doesn't have grey blacks, direct led and edge led VA and IPS TV's without FALD have grey blacks. Sony FALD is far from grey, it's a great balance between good blacks and great shadow detail, no other LED TV offers this.

My Sony 55HX853 is an edge lit VA panel and it looks amazing. What it can do with 16 zones is really impressive. Blacks are really deep to me.

My Sony 55HX853 is an edge lit VA panel and it looks amazing. What it can do with 16 zones is really impressive. Blacks are really deep to me.

There are good VA Tv's and bad aswell, this day there is a lot of budget TV's with VA direct led panels and some have dissapointing black performance and lots of backlight bleed. One example is Philips 50PUS7304.

Sony XE85 was also a really good edge led VA TV, shame Sony is using IPS panel for this model since year 2018, just 49" model is still using VA.

There are good VA Tv's and bad aswell, this day there is a lot of budget TV's with VA direct led panels and some have dissapointing black performance and lots of backlight bleed. One example is Philips 50PUS7304.

Sony XE85 was also a really good edge led VA TV, shame Sony is using IPS panel for this model since year 2018, just 49" model is still using VA.

Oh yeah I agree, I wasn't being defensive either. I know my TV isn't perfect and edge lit isn't the pinnacle of performance.

I wish manufacturers wouldn't use IPS in any models to be honest. It basically means I can't look at LG or Panasonic, or Philips for that matter.

Another positive review for the xh95 55": best price/performance for 2020. They were quite happy with the lack of serious blooming. Later, they will shoot a comparison against the LG C9 as far as I understand.

We can finally leave you with the review of the Sony XH95, after 2 weeks of intense work and use. A piece of panel like the top of a pine, 100% recommended and more for the great quality / price ratio it has. In a few days you will have the full written review on AVPasion.com and also the comparative video with the LG OLED

LED Sony XH95 - The Best Processor and a Great Image! - FINAL OPINION

Well, after 2 weeks with the television we have come to an end and the worst is playing ... RETURN IT !!! Hahaha
It has been a very fun few days trying all kinds of movies, demos, netflix etc, and the result has been very satisfactory ..... a very good construction, uniformity of the screen, processor and image makes an excellent full array led to see cinema in all kinds of contours ..... below as always THE BEST and WORST of the television as we do with all the products analyzed.

(video) xf90 vs a8f SDR black level performance in their most accurate preset (custom). This further highlights that in SDR, VA lcd contrast is quite good. I am expecting that most of the blooming complaints are from people that are running their tv at higher brightness.

This video doesn't reflects real experience. Camera makes picture darker than in real life.

I don't know exact light output but my backlight setting was around 10-11 for sdr. It is pretty low

This video doesn't reflects real experience. Camera makes picture darker than in real life.

It actually does show the comparison very well. I had XG95 and GZ950 side by side for two weeks and with SDR it looked just like this video, the difference was bigger only with HDR and DV.

You only come in Sony FALD threads when someone says FALD looks close to OLED and then try to make FALd look bad.

You only come in Sony FALD threads when someone says FALD looks close to OLED and then try to make FALd look bad.

I just say what i saw. Sony 9005/9505 is weak in blacks. Some fald tvs i had were good and really close to OLED like philips pus8102 or samsung q9fn. But not sony 9...

(video) xf90 vs a8f SDR black level performance in their most accurate preset (custom). This further highlights that in SDR, VA lcd contrast is quite good. I am expecting that most of the blooming complaints are from people that are running their tv at higher brightness.

This is very similar to how I saw SDR between G950 and XG95 with my own eyes.

I watch my XG95 in the evening with some ambient light with brightness at 5 and SDR is amazing, no blooming at all. TV is so bright you can watch it in a pitch black room with brightness at 2. For HDR and DV brightness at 10 is more than enaugh for a pitch black room and there is not much blooming with this brightness. Blooming shown in reviews like here on avforums brightness has to be at 35-50 in a black room for blooming to be so noticable but you can't watch with that brightness, it burns off your eyes . I watch HDR and DV with brightness at 15 with some ambient light and it's still bright enaugh with very little blooming.

Blooming is atually smaller on XG95 than XF90 because it's a brighter TV and you can watch it with lower brightness, had both XF90 and XG95 side by side for a week and XG95 was picture wise better in nearly everything.

Btw I also did this exact video test and many more, between XF90, XG95 and GZ950.

Last edited:
I just say what i saw. Sony 9005/9505 is weak in blacks. Some fald tvs i had were good and really close to OLED like philips pus8102 or samsung q9fn. But not sony 9...

Then maybe you were doing something wrong, maybe you didn't have good settings like avforums, they show such a strong blooming with XG95 which I never have.

No. My backlight setting was 10-11. It is low enough. Blooming is inevetable with such a low ammount of dimming zones and mild algorithm that Sony uses.

Old models like xe9405 or z9 had very good blacks. Much better than modern gross

No. My backlight setting was 10-11. It is low enough. Blooming is inevetable with such a low ammount of dimming zones and mild algorithm that Sony uses.

Old models like xe9405 or z9 had very good blacks. Much better than modern gross

Which model did you have XF90 or XG95?

Brightness at 10 with SDR in a pitch black room is too bright for XG95, but I don't have blooming even at 10 with SDR.

Maybe you had a bad panel or too much clouding, backlight bleed. If there is too much backlight bleeding a FALD TV can have more blooming. My XF90 had some strong bleeding on the left side of the panel and I could see some blooming there many times, always on the same spot where beeding was.

XG95 has a better uniformity in general and that's why it also has less blooming.

Which model did you have XF90 or XG95?

Brightness at 10 with SDR in a pitch black room is too bright for XG95, but I don't have blooming even at 10 with SDR.

Maybe you had a bad panel or too much clouding, backlight bleed. If there is too much backlight bleeding a FALD TV can have more blooming. My XF90 had some strong bleeding on the left side of the panel and I could see some blooming there many times, always on the same spot where beeding was.

XG95 has a better uniformity in general and that's why it also has less blooming.
Agree totally.i dont see blooming on my xg but maybe i am just not sensitive too it.blacks are fantastic and not too far from oled.colours are way more natural than other brands too.
This is all about the settings and your own taste

Depending on reviews, I might go for either a 75" or an 85"(also, depending on the wife's permission!)

I currently have a ZD9 65" on a pedestal stand.Is there such a stand that can handle an 85"?

Last edited:
Agree totally.i dont see blooming on my xg but maybe i am just not sensitive too it.blacks are fantastic and not too far from oled.colours are way more natural than other brands too.
This is all about the settings and your own taste
The blooming is only in HDR. And very visible in HDR in some scenes.
Especially if you use subtitles. It was a big issue for me. Maybe I got unlucky with my set but it was very distracting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom