Sorry, another eBay question.....!!!

dj_padd

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I won an item that had a very large postage cost for a small item.
In the listing description the seller said they would refund the difference if postage was cheaper than what was charged.
This was the reason I bought it as I knew the postage would not be what was charged.

The sellers postage price was £10.99 using 2nd class signed for (this was the only option)
I checked with royal mail and the postage would be £5.99 so I bought it expecting a £5 refund on postage.
The seller has now told me that he sent the item 1st class signed for which is £10 and won't give a refund. I never asked for it to be sent 1st class, 1st class wasn't even an option on the listing.

Am I right in still asking for the £5 back as he sent the item using a different delivery method than advertised?

Or do I just move on as I paid what it cost to send even though it was sent 1st class instead of 2nd?

£10 postage, I thought the item was small? Anyway I would wait to see how he sent it, sometimes it has the price stamped on, but them again he can say the costs were also for packaging and 'labour' costs to get out of refunding you. I would just leave negative feedback

A bit odd to over estimate postage as he would have to pay 10% on postage costs and they won't get that back if refunded

Item was £30
He told me he sent it 1st class at a cost of £10 which tallies with royal mail. I've sent him a message saying the listing said 2nd class postage not 1st.

As he has sent it signed for, ask for the tracking number.

To be honest, if he has sent it 1st class signed for then I don't really see there is much you can do. He advertised postage at £10.99 and spent £10 on postage. The 99p can easily be explained away as packing materials, time, fuel to get to the post office etc.

I appreciate that you didn't ask for it but if he really has spent it, then it isn't really a scam just a misunderstanding. He might have thought he was doing you a favour getting it to you faster and safer.

Cheers,

Nigel

EBay won't do anything if the add stated 10.99 regardless of what it says in the body of the advert

I would just leave negative feedback
I think that is a bit harsh. If I over estimated a price for second class and then found it could be sent 1st class I would send it first class then send a message saying I sent it first class and you wouldn't get a refund of the money.
As pointed out he might have thought he was doing them a favour by getting it quickly.
Also let us not forget there is a mountain of postal options to select when listing an item. Sometimes I can't be bothered to list the correct service I'm Going to use as it fills it out automatically and sets the price.
The way I look at it is if your happy with the price you paid for the item including postage then move on. If not a lesson learned and never assume anything until you have received the refund.

In future (hindsight is great), you should ask them to recalculate the shipping rather than rely on a refund retrospectively. This is easily done by the seller as sellers often will recalculate say if you're buying multiple items & want to combine/reduce shipping costs.

I think that is a bit harsh.

I agree. The OP needs to wait and see what postage has been used. If he has actually used 2nd class despite what he has said then you would be right to complain, though even then if he refuses I doubt eBay nor Paypal would side with you as the listing is quite clear.

But if he really has used 1st Class Signed For then it is not like he has benefitted - just a misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Nigel

It came 1st class and the seller even refunded me £3.99 so can't complain, I was never going to leave negative feedback

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom