Sound/Audio Not Detected- No audio/sound Icon in Device manager Laptop. Speakers and H/Phone INOP

iybyisyl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I have a Toshiba C55 Satellite Laptop. I5 Processor running windows 10 Home 64 BIT. I have owned from new, for the last 2 years or so the sound has not worked, Id like to fix it if feasible
I plan to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and keep for a while as its fine for my basic laptop needs of browsing
Problem Statement
No Sound/Audio from onboard speakers or the 3.5mm headphone Jack. (It will emit sound from a blue tooth connected speaker or via TV/AMP via blue tooth)

I have searched google for the answer, however the responses focus in the main on drivers and software but do not rectify the issue.
When I review status in device manager there is no visible sounds/Audio Icon to open. (see attached)
When I search in 'sound's via Control panel "no devices found" is evident,
When I right mouse click on the task bar audio icon (which is constantly muted) ""Speaker set up unknown is the response.
I have downloaded 'speccy' and it confirms that no Audio device is detected.
This is starting to feel like a hardware issue to my layman's logic or can someone advise please?
Thanks
Jamie

Attachments

• Device manager no Audio_Sound.PNG
    Device manager no Audio_Sound.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 54
You've got an audio device showing up in your task manager screenshot under 'other devices', with a yellow warning triangle to indicate it has some sort of problem. Likely a driver related problem given that it's not being categorised as an audio device.

What does the properties page of that device say?

You've got an audio device showing up in your task manager screenshot under 'other devices', with a yellow warning triangle to indicate it has some sort of problem. Likely a driver related problem given that it's not being categorised as an audio device.

What does the properties page of that device say?
Hi EndlessWaves- thank you for your reply.

The properties tab invites me to update drivers - Code 28 error, which I do via the automatic update option, but then it reveals a 'device to the system not functioning'

3 screen shots attached

Attachments

• Audio Drivers detail.PNG
    Audio Drivers detail.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Update drivers A.PNG
    Update drivers A.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Update Drivers.PNG
    Update Drivers.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 50
Hi Ice, thanks.
I don't have any audio device to uninstall like the example on your kind link, or should I uninstall the audio device on high definition audio USB? on the proviso that on reboot windows will reinstall?

@ Icemanonline and @EndlessWaves.

I found a CODEC download on CNET...

and somewhat stumbled my way to a resolution, I now have sound and am feeling quite pleased.

Many thanks to you both for pointers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom