Question Sound cutting out on Netflix 5.1

purplemonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I recently upgraded my TV to a Panasonic 50EX700B and I have a Yamaha rx-v581 Receiver. Since then when I play Netflix using 5.1 english audio it stops and starts, the amp shows the 5.1 speaker array while working and then the sound goes off and the speaker icon on the amp goes out. It comes back on again in a second or two.
I have chosen English audio and it works. but I'd like to stick to 5.1

I spoke to netflix first, they had no idea what might be causing it and suggested I just use English audio.

I fired an email to Panasonic, who claim the problem is with Netflix and I should just use English without 5.1

So, am I just to downgrade my audio to English, and take it as it comes, or should I return the TV and find a set that doesn't do this. If its a Netflix issue wont all TV's have the same problem. If this problem really is a wider issue, I'm sure more people would be playing up about it, but I can't find anything online to assist.

any advice?

English?

I think you mean you chose to use the stereo PCM option as opposed to the Dolby Digital 5.1 option? Both are in English unless you are viewing content with other language options? How are you conveying the audio from the TV to the receiver, via optical or via HDMI ARC? If via ARC then consider trying optical instead to see if this resolves the issue.

Last edited:
I have netflix via SAMSUNG KS9000 to Soundbar via HDMI ARC works fine in 5.1 English. I also use NETFLIX on a PC again DD 5.1 via optical to SONY STR-DN860 also works.

Netflix works fine here also. Bravia-optical-denon.
Can you try some 5.1 content with the built in player and see how it is going.

ok, you guys act fast, I like that and I'll try and keep up.
Should have added more detail to the original post, so here goes.

I had no issues on my previous setup which was running Netflix via a PS4 (original) with HDMI to the Receiver then HDMI to the TV.

This new TV has HDMI ARC, which I've not used before so I bought a new fast HDMI 2 cable from amazon and connected that from TV Arc slot to the Receivers HDMI Out socket. This seems to work fine, for the other features, like hdmi control etc, and non 5.1 sound.
I have tried Digital audio cable instead of the current HDMI ARC setup, but the same issue existed so I'm back on HDMI Arc now.

I spend the night last night re wiring everything, hoping it was a loose connection or something.
I watched two movies on Netflix last night and had no problems in 5.1. Then today it bummed out again.

It actually started off with no audio at all, so I switch to English then audio, then back to 5.1 and choppy audio, so back to non 5.1 and stable audio.

And to clarify the point about English, yes thats just the non 5.1 option on Netflix. I have "English 5.1" and "English" available. We like 5.1 because the centre speakers carries dialog and makes it clearer for us.

I'd suspect an issue with either the TV's firmware or the Netflix application that is installed on the TV. There's not anything you can do to resolve the issue other than inform both the TV manufacturer and Netflix of the issue you are having. Only they can address this and do something to rectify it.

I thought with it being a popular tv these kind of issues would have come up more often, and either been resolved or at least some people talking about it online.

I may have the option of taking it back and changing for a different make/model. Rather than wait for the software fix, I wonder if that's a better option?

Trying to narrow down issues.
I doubt it is a software fix. Are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet? If WiFi then that could be the problem.

Trying to narrow down issues.
I doubt it is a software fix. Are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet? If WiFi then that could be the problem.

Why would it only effect Netflix though? He's not getting similar behaviour in conjunction with the other streaming apps. It it were an issue with his network then all the services would be effected.

and lousy connenction would manifest as droping to lower resolution or sometning like that. Defintily not as dropping audio.
so I bought a new fast HDMI 2 cable
did you try with your old cable? Or some other? HDMI is very "non-standard" standard. In theory, everything is so simple and should work just like that. In reality, cable that was working just fine every single time between my sat box and bravia series B didn't work (no signal message) most of the time on my bravia series C. But sometimes it did work. That same cable works every time between my TV and AVR.

So I initially tried my existing HDMI Cable, but when the issue came up I immediately bought new ones as I'd never used ARC before I thought maybe its a a version issue. But nope, same issue.

I did think maybe bandwidth, so the TV is now on a cable not wifi, however the receiver is on wifi, I assume sound data is coming from the TV via HDMI and not the receiver talking to Netflix? but please correct me if I'm wrong.

My PS4 plays netflix fine, but it cannot offer the HDR netflix as its the older model. The TV is now offering HDR content, although last night we watched a very old movie, definitely not HDR, but whether Netflix sends all content using the same codecs I don't know.

I did try Amazon and it seemed to be ok. but as I first stated sometimes it does work. we watched two Netflix HDR movies back to back in 5.1 on Thursday and it was fine. then Friday back to problems again.

I did wonder at bandwidth, as I think audio can be extremely large requirement but how can I check other than the "info" overlay on netflix? My network "seems" fine. Its currently Virgin 100mb Fibre.

Netflix themselves suggest 25Mb, but 16Mb would be enough so I'd not suspect your 100Mb download bandwith allowance unless something is restricting it?

So I just found out Netflix doesn't support 5.1 audio in HTML5, and what does Panasonic run, Firefox OS with HTML 5.

so I think that must be the issues. no idea why both Panasonic or Netflix pointed this out!!! I'm going to take the TV back next week. need to look for a comparable one now. Any ideas?

how can that be?
we watched two Netflix HDR movies back to back in 5.1 on Thursday and it was fine. then Friday back to problems again.
If HTML5 in FF OS is the issue than you should never ever get 5.1.
And I don't think that you are the only person with FF based Panasonic that is using netflix and wants 5.1.

I think that if you were unable to access 5.1 audio associated with Netflix if accessed via Panasonic TVs then you'd be seeing an aweful lot more people posting about it? As far as I'm aware, you can access DD 5.1 audio via all Panasonic TVs and their Netflix apps?

Thats what I thought, its such a popular set, so many people should be moaning if it was that issue.
Anyway the supplier has accept it as a return, now I just need to find another TV.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have also had the same issue with audio cutting out both on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix for many years now. It only seems to do this when using the built in TV app (Samsung). However when I use the built in apps on my Samsung blu ray player I do not have the issue. Seems like it is specific to the software loaded on the TV. I have the same setup as the op using ARC but with a Pioneer amp.

Did your new TV sort the issues Purplemonkey?

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have also had the same issue with audio cutting out both on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix for many years now. It only seems to do this when using the built in TV app (Samsung). However when I use the built in apps on my Samsung blu ray player I do not have the issue. Seems like it is specific to the software loaded on the TV. I have the same setup as the op using ARC but with a Pioneer amp.

How are you playing the audio and if via an external device or AV receiver then how are you conveying audio from the TV to that device? If outputting the audio via ARC then you may want to try changing the HDMI cable between the TV and that device?

How are you playing the audio and if via an external device or AV receiver then how are you conveying audio from the TV to that device? If outputting the audio via ARC then you may want to try changing the HDMI cable between the TV and that device?
I'm playing audio via an external receiver over ARC, I've tried different cables with no luck (same as op) but what I haven't tried is connecting the tv directly to an HDMI input on the AV receiver instead of using ARC. I'll give that a go and report back.

I'm playing audio via an external receiver over ARC, I've tried different cables with no luck (same as op) but what I haven't tried is connecting the tv directly to an HDMI input on the AV receiver instead of using ARC. I'll give that a go and report back.

Do not connect the TV to any HDMI inputs on the AVR!

The TV has no HDMI outputs and only inputs so cannot output anything to your AV receiver via one of the receiver's HDMI inputs.

ARC only works between a TV's ARC enable input and an AVR's ARC enabled output.

I'd suggest you try using the TV's optical output to an AV receiver if the ARC connection cannot be used without issues. You'd not however get DD+ via optical, but other than this it will be no different to what you'd get via ARC.

[QUOTE="
Do not connect the TV to any HDMI inputs on the AVR!

The TV has no HDMI outputs and only inputs so cannot output anything to your AV receiver via one of the receiver's HDMI inputs.

ARC only works between a TV's ARC enable input and an AVR's ARC enabled output.

I'd suggest you try using the TV's optical output to an AV receiver if the ARC connection cannot be used without issues. You'd not however get DD+ via optical, but other than this it will be no different to what you'd get via ARC.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha that's true, I don't even know why I suggested that...maybe I'm just thinking of anything and everything now that I have put up with it for so long!

I could try optical I guess but as you've mentioned you loose DD+ I may just stick to my blueray player as the source for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

If you've already tried all the usual troubleshooting of swapping out cables for proven/working cables etc., etc......

..... Have you tried factory resetting the TV first of all? Unfortunately, sometimes a firmware update to the TV itself or software updates to apps on the TV such as Netflix can cause various bugs & glitches, including audio dropouts with HDMI. It's not uncommon!!! It's a bit of a pain in the backside but give it a go, see if it helps. It doesn't take that long & you can quickly jot down your TV's settings or take screenshots/photos so you can remember all the settings for the apps & the individual HDMI inputs when you're setting it all up again.

If you haven't already tried the full reset, there's a chance it may have been that simple after all this time ;).

If still no joy, also try factory resetting your Pioneer AVR as well. You just never know these days! Software can very easily become discombobulated!!

I have a very similar TV to the OP, a Panasonic EX750B series. As a direct result of firmware updates/Netflix updates, they seriously messed up my 5.1 DD+ audio. I went through the list of all the usual troubleshooting but that still didn't solve the problems I was having. A factory reset instantly solved the core problem :). The Netflix app still has one small operational glitch but it's relatively minor & easy to workaround.

If you've already tried it then you'll obviously have to look elsewhere but it may also be worth trying again if it's been some time since ;).

Good luck, hope things work out for you :).

Hi guys,

got the same issue on my setup Lg C7 and denon x-3500h. For me the fix was on on AV receiver menu the 4k signal format. It was on enhanced by default, and to use that option you need tv and hdmi cable on ARC to support 4:4:4,4:2:2 10 bit. TV supports 10 bit, seems my hdmi does not. Changed the 4k signal format on standard and no more drop off. Hope it helps.

If you've already tried all the usual troubleshooting of swapping out cables for proven/working cables etc., etc......

..... Have you tried factory resetting the TV first of all? Unfortunately, sometimes a firmware update to the TV itself or software updates to apps on the TV such as Netflix can cause various bugs & glitches, including audio dropouts with HDMI. It's not uncommon!!! It's a bit of a pain in the backside but give it a go, see if it helps. It doesn't take that long & you can quickly jot down your TV's settings or take screenshots/photos so you can remember all the settings for the apps & the individual HDMI inputs when you're setting it all up again.

If you haven't already tried the full reset, there's a chance it may have been that simple after all this time ;).

If still no joy, also try factory resetting your Pioneer AVR as well. You just never know these days! Software can very easily become discombobulated!!

I have a very similar TV to the OP, a Panasonic EX750B series. As a direct result of firmware updates/Netflix updates, they seriously messed up my 5.1 DD+ audio. I went through the list of all the usual troubleshooting but that still didn't solve the problems I was having. A factory reset instantly solved the core problem :). The Netflix app still has one small operational glitch but it's relatively minor & easy to workaround.

If you've already tried it then you'll obviously have to look elsewhere but it may also be worth trying again if it's been some time since ;).

Good luck, hope things work out for you :).

You legend, thanks for your post. Audio Sync was so bad on my Netflix on panny tv, tried optical, hdmi as all no permient fix apartment from doing your suggestion to rest to shipping condition. Now works perfectly, thanks allot 😁👍

You legend, thanks for your post. Audio Sync was so bad on my Netflix on panny tv, tried optical, hdmi as all no permient fix apartment from doing your suggestion to rest to shipping condition. Now works perfectly, thanks allot 😁👍

You're welcome. Glad you can enjoy everything as intended again :).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom