Soundbars & Soundbases Explained - article discussion

Whats the point of buying these sound bars they are poor sound quality better to use a stereo amp, like I do for music & movies, much more enjoyable sound

To each his own! What fascinates me are "soundbars" that come with small speakers and a subwoofer. So you are still left with more boxes. I recently sold my 5.1 set up. I kept my Spendor front speakers and paired them with a second hand Marantz amp I bought for £140 on Ebay. This was after I sent back at the new B&O soundstage that was incompatible with my LG TV. My "new" set up is great for music DVDs which are my main interest and a vast improvement on the B&O when it worked.

I currently have a Yamaha amp and a 5.1 mission speaker setup. When I finish renovating my house, I’m thinking of a simpler, neater setup. I’m thinking of an Sonos ARC and a couple of Play surrounds. I have an older Sharp 65” tv which won’t do atmos. Inputs into my Yamaha are a Blu-ray and a Virgin V6 box. What is the best way to set this up? The box and Blu-ray into the tv inputs and the arc hdmi from the TV into the ARC? Would I be better sticking to the amp and separate speakers?

Would I be better sticking to the amp and separate speakers?’ plenty folk say Yes, plenty others say No.

Other than trying it out in the room you will be using it in you will never know if it will work for you.

If you were to go SONOS and retain the ARC enabled TV the only downside is no Atmos or compressed Atmos (if the TV supports DD+).

Joe

PS The third option is a Stereo amp with HDMI or Optical Input plus a pair of speakers, I prefer that to the Soundbar option.

PS The third option is a Stereo amp with HDMI or Optical Input plus a pair of speakers, I prefer that to the Soundbar option.
I have a stereo amp with HDMI ARC input, but I find I have to turn programs up fairly loudly to separate the dialogue from the background noise. A friend said I needed a soundbar to emphasis the speech, like a centre channel. But, I can't figure out how to set that up? The sound out from the telly has to be HDMI ARC to reach the amp, then there is no output to the soundbar.

Is there a solution to this? Thanks.

You would connect the eARC/ARC enabled Soundbar direct to the TV eARC/ARC Output and take the Stereo Amp and speakers out of the system.

Joe

@Bizmuth as per previous post you will have to compare what you have now with the SONOS Arc plus surrounds and decide if you wish to keep the SONOS or stick with the system you have now.

As you suggested Sources > TV then TV ARC > SONOS is the way to go - the alternative being to add an HDFury Arcana, Arcana+HDMI Switch or VRRoom between the TV and the SONOS Arc to allow you to send Atmos to the Arc.

With the HDFury in the system you connect your Atmos capable Source(s) to the HDFury.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom