Sourdough/bread making

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I’m having a go at home baking some 100% organic sourdough.
Using the bakers apprentice as a guide.

59D2F0AB-1C82-4546-A858-FE2395AC87B4.jpeg

Ordered a couple of baskets online and my starter or mother is ready to use tomorrow so next step is 2 day San Francisco sourdough.

Any tips anyone made any successful attempts at sourdough?

Last edited:
Firm starter has been made from the mother, now proving overnight before making the final dough, 6 days prep so far hope the loaf is worth it!!

At least the mother starter is always ready now just needs feeding every few days.

Will update tomorrow hopefully with a half decent looking loaf!

Started at 7 and 5 hours later 4 loaves on final proof

2 San Fancisco sourdough in the bannetons and 2 cheddar potato and onion torpedos !!

Long process but looking forward to end result this evening
3C6011E9-E15E-4B3D-A3BA-FE304176AF5D.jpeg

E3010099-E632-4B12-924C-4E5493FD13BC.jpeg

CBF2E3EC-201A-4961-A023-C5C0745CEF11.jpeg

Need smellovision for this one just,out of the oven the aroma of cheese caramelised onion and yeasty goodness is a killer won’t be long until I slice one of these open

351C4E10-086C-4A4B-BEFA-F8E205E3E72C.jpeg

Look good - been making sourdough loaves for a bit now.

Tend to bung some starter and flour in a bowl and leave overnight then add more flour and salt then knead in the morning and leave in proving basket while am at work - bung in the oven when I get home and done.

Pretty simple once you have the starter going to just feed it every couple of days.

The future is definitely proving overnight, retarding in the fridge then baking in the morning.

First 100% sourdough came out lovely looking we will try it this evening, hopefully will get this perfected before making a big wood fired oven outside to bake all this lovely bread in :)

EEF0A49D-84E8-41D0-9130-2F97C4BF2832.jpeg

It will be delicious - sourdough is a revelation for me not sure I will eat any other sort of bread ever again. Haven't for months.

Making pizzas I switch it up between sourdough and normal pizza dough, can make normal pizza dough and get it sorted in a few hours. Sourdough takes a little more planning. Sourdough is the tastiest though.

I believe sourdough is also better for digestion etc :) Most normal shop bought bread starts my ibs to flare up not so with sourdough!

Why is sourdough bread the healthiest bread?

Last edited:
It will be delicious - sourdough is a revelation for me not sure I will eat any other sort of bread ever again. Haven't for months.

Making pizzas I switch it up between sourdough and normal pizza dough, can make normal pizza dough and get it sorted in a few hours. Sourdough takes a little more planning. Sourdough is the tastiest though.

I believe sourdough is also better for digestion etc :) Most normal shop bought bread starts my ibs to flare up not so with sourdough!

Why is sourdough bread the healthiest bread?

You were not wrong it really was something special, although I own a bakery we don’t really do a lot of sourdough, more standard loaves but as I enjoy baking it’s a good challenge, next on the list is chilli and cheese, and also walnut and blue cheese.

I can't have yeast anymore so have tried sourdough from Waitrose, they do one which has no added yeast at all, it's a bit drier than normal bread, but as I can't have that kind of bread anymore, it's not too bad. It's a lot nicer than rye bread anyway.

Yeast free bread is a very rare thing to find!

I can't have yeast anymore so have tried sourdough from Waitrose, they do one which has no added yeast at all, it's a bit drier than normal bread, but as I can't have that kind of bread anymore, it's not too bad. It's a lot nicer than rye bread anyway.

Yeast free bread is a very rare thing to find!

The round loaves above are zero yeast pure sourdough but the batards with cheese are a hybrid using the starter and also some dried yeast, both good flavour but think I’d prefer more sour think this can be achieved with a bit of sugar for the enzymes to feed on.

Avoiding yeast must be hard it’s on trust that the baker hasn’t added some yeast to give them a helping hand.

Time to roll sleeves up Greg get messy !

The round loaves above are zero yeast pure sourdough but the batards with cheese are a hybrid using the starter and also some dried yeast, both good flavour but think I’d prefer more sour think this can be achieved with a bit of sugar for the enzymes to feed on.

Avoiding yeast must be hard it’s on trust that the baker hasn’t added some yeast to give them a helping hand.

Time to roll sleeves up Greg get messy !

My starter and my loaf for tomorrow - looking very healthy :)

Also a random pic 5 mins walk from my house and pretty awesome earlier

Attachments

• 20180818_233003.jpg
    20180818_233003.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 182
  • 20180811_101335.jpg
    20180811_101335.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 184
I'm going to have to try sourdough sometime.
How do you start it off and use/keep it?

My starter and my loaf for tomorrow - looking very healthy :)

Also a random pic 5 mins walk from my house and pretty awesome earlier

Looking good, and lovely view, looks very similar to my local area around Dartmoor except a bit greener :)

I'm going to have to try sourdough sometime.
How do you start it off and use/keep it?

I’ll put up my recipe later basically flour and water or in my recent recipe pineapple juice apparently stops a couple of nasties appearing, mixed in a container left to brew over a few days adding a little water and flour to feed then within 8 days you have created your starter or mother which then goes in a jar in fridge and gets fed and used as required pretty simple really for a great tasting product !

I use the Paul Hollywood starter recipe from HERE with an apple out of my garden works great

Tonight’s testers just made rested and now into the fridge to see what happens in the morning.
3B524890-6BF4-479B-B17F-FCCAE1D7C97A.jpeg

Basic sourdough 100% wild yeast and one with the addition of walnuts cashew nuts and some Stilton.

Hopefully develops overnight and ready to bake first thing.

This mornings effort after proofing overnight got a bit stuck to the bannetons, so work in progress maybe more flour needed still smell lovely though and I’m sure will taste good later

4E94FD49-B85B-49DA-B5BD-532C305904FE.jpeg

Rye sourdough this morning the taste is fantastic got some homemade pastrami to eat with this one later,if the bread lasts that long !

A76504F3-43C9-4FBD-9A75-6E8955946932.jpeg

Looks great!

Currently, M&S White/Rye Sourdough is my fave bread at the moment.

£2 a pop though. Wonder how that compares to the cost of make your own....

Looks great!

Currently, M&S White/Rye Sourdough is my fave bread at the moment.

£2 a pop though. Wonder how that compares to the cost of make your own....

I’d guess likely around 4 times the cost really it’s only flour and water, just time and effort but worth it and rewarding when it goes right !

Quick question.
I make my starter dough, 500g, half it and top it back up to 500g etc.
How much of this do I use per loaf?
Say I was making a 500g loaf, do I use half the starter or less/more?

Quick question.
I make my starter dough, 500g, half it and top it back up to 500g etc.
How much of this do I use per loaf?
Say I was making a 500g loaf, do I use half the starter or less/more?

For sanfransisco style sourdough I use about 200g of starter to Make 2 small ish loaves around 600g per loaf

If you build up too much starter you can reduce it just keep a small amount,lots say ditch it but I’m looking for recipie ideas for the waste Unfed starter, trying pancakes tomorrow!

Last edited:
Been reading up on low impact sourdough where you hardly need to knead at all !,

So got a batch mixed and proving overnight gone for a 50 50 white with seeded whole meal at 60% hydration, it’s going to sit overnight and hopefully be workable in the morning.

Also found a recipie for buttermilk pancakes and waffles out of the waste starter so got a sponge going overnight for them too good fun this sourdough stuff !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom