Sourdough/bread making

@busterbenny2001 Bake with Jack uses a spray bottle to spray the inside of the oven a few times which must be better for the health of the oven than chucking cup of water in, specially if it making warpy banging sounds when you do it.

Started that brioche bun recipe posted by @busterbenny2001 earlier in the thread.

on its first prove. Ran into a small problem that the mixture wouldn’t come together into a dough. Far too hydrated and sticky. Ended up adding a little extra flour. It’s still pretty sticky.

see how we end up. I’m thinking with flat bread at the moment 😂

Took a good 10 mins to come together before proving mate was well slack but after developing it made a nice dough.
if it’s not happened now it’s unlikely too I’d say

Took a good 10 mins to come together before proving mate was well slack but after developing it made a nice dough.
if it’s not happened now it’s unlikely too I’d say
Oh I had the machine going for 15mins. It did come together a little bit but not enough to form a ball. I had to help with a bit of flour and my hands.

Managed to ball them without too much trouble.

they are now proving in carrier bags as suggested in the recipe. Long second prove at 1.5-2hrs!

This batch of starter has been much better than my last... Sourdough pizza balls, was mixed on Saturday, balled this morning (photo) and cooking tonight. Mixed levain this morning, will be mixing for bulk prove overnight. Never had so many bubbles so looking promising!

20200525_104708.jpg

20200525_155753.jpg

Forgot to egg wash one set and the other clearly placed too close!

Attachments

• 6F0B7899-E5E4-4515-B2C6-BAE466CD1F9D.jpeg
    6F0B7899-E5E4-4515-B2C6-BAE466CD1F9D.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 30E9D2ED-F383-4543-B8D2-9CBFEEDAD4B3.jpeg
    30E9D2ED-F383-4543-B8D2-9CBFEEDAD4B3.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 27
Look good mate decent movement on those I forgot I didn’t use two types of flour I used all white bread flour

Look good mate decent movement on those I forgot I didn’t use two types of flour I used all white bread flour
Thanks.

I used the Caputo pizzeria and some plain.

To update, opened one up (the small left over one!) and buttered for the kids to try.

safely say that we won’t be buying brioche buns again! Wife has already asked if I can make hot dog buns with the recipe.

On that note, don’t think it will be a problem(?!). Going to use more dough per hot dog buns than the rolls.

Told you it was a great recipe mate it’s made it to my book so it’s a keeper!
far better than shop ones and eats well next day too.

Should be perfect mate we usually scale finger rolls slightly less than rolls but I guess it depends on the size of your sausage :)

Told you it was a great recipe mate it’s made it to my book so it’s a keeper!
far better than shop ones and eats well next day too.

Should be perfect mate we usually scale finger rolls slightly less than rolls but I guess it depends on the size of your sausage :)
Ooooo eerrr :rotfl:

Boom!

Attachments

• BE4957A0-0083-4102-83F8-5D3CD9528732.jpeg
    BE4957A0-0083-4102-83F8-5D3CD9528732.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 418526FF-6FCB-4F77-89C0-C580048A422F.jpeg
    418526FF-6FCB-4F77-89C0-C580048A422F.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 27
  • F30377E2-7638-4CD1-AFE1-FA5E5D67A564.jpeg
    F30377E2-7638-4CD1-AFE1-FA5E5D67A564.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 24
Baked some sourdough this morning having done all the requisites yesterday. I used this recipe:

With this batch and the last (from a different recipe) I found the dough really quite wet. Even compared to the photos and videos linked from the recipe above. Is it that the particular flour I'm using hydrates less and should use less water? I just can't work it out. I keep getting flattening boules that can't be scored to save their life. The ones in the recipe photos and Buster's all have a "crust" or "skin" (for lack of better terms) in the dough that scores nicely.

He is great I follow him on instagram, what flour are you using? Is your starter at 100% hydration, I have not used his recipe but it’s still a medium hydration at 76% you could always drop the hydration a little and try it it’s hard to tell on a no knead dough as when you stretch and fold you get a feel for the dough developing.

I ended up using a mix of bread flour (unknown brand that my mum gave to me) and some mixed grain bread flour that I bought a while ago. Nothing fancy like a rye etc. Levain was 100% 80 flour to 80 water plus some starter.

I could feel it being more stretchy with each stretch and fold, but there aren't many sets in the recipe and the hydration level felt fairly constant (dropped a bit maybe) across the sets. It looked too wet to start with like I could have put 50g less water in. I didn't add any extra water when adding the salt as it was so wet to start with.

Opened up the Fermipan today. For those wondering it’s yeast inside :rotfl: .

looks all but the same as the Allison easy bake yeast. Today’s loaves are a mix of both yeasts. I have put a clip on the Fermipan bag and put it in some Tupperware, then in the fridge.

being instant dry yeast I assume it needs to activation and can go in the dry mix?!

Ordered a scraper from Bake With Jack's shop – I've enjoyed the videos enough, seemed the decent thing to do would be to give something back, however small – and what a difference it's made. Normally me and the kitchen end up covered in flour and doughy mess but I was clean and the kitchen wasn't too bad, either. Far less washing up, no risk of clogging the sink. Not quite life-changing, but certainly bread-making-changing.

Followed his simple loaf recipe yesterday and the same thing that's always happened to me happens – it doesn't come out light and fluffy inside. It's not exactly dense, but it's a little more crumbly than I'd like. Not really badly and it tastes nice, but what's the cause?

Too much kneading/messing about post-prove? Not enough kneading? Over/under prooved? Was made with dried yeast and organic strong bread flour, if that makes a difference. (Was all I could get, although I'm sorely tempted to get a massive bag of strong white if Tesco have them again when I go this week. Although don't know where I'd keep it safe from two small children!)

Last edited:
Gave it a slice.. not much oven rise but actually a great bake. Crust is not too chewy. Middle is soft and springy, tasty too!

20200526_120358.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom