Sourdough/bread making

3rd day into making the starter, the wait is dragging.
It's only since the feed this afternoon that bubbles have started, up to then I thought I'd killed it before it had begun.
Can't wait to bake:D

Made sourdough fougasse yesterday with blue cheese and walnuts loved it.

D2B757BB-2E8F-4AF8-B1F6-EEEE9281B3CC.jpeg
BF1BB222-FA31-4511-A59A-85C55B1773E6.jpeg

Not having much luck with the starter.
Where I thought it was starting to bubble up a bit, it's now a bit flat and nothing really going on, this is the 5th day.
I've started another one last night just in case the original had had it.
Oh joy.

Not having much luck with the starter.
Where I thought it was starting to bubble up a bit, it's now a bit flat and nothing really going on, this is the 5th day.
I've started another one last night just in case the original had had it.
Oh joy.
If it fails again I’ll send you a pot if you want one it may just be taking a while to get going! Or use orange juice in place of water in the early stages seems to work.

Baked these 2 last night spelt and honey they are a dense loaf but probably one of my favourites.

D3823B8E-90F5-44A9-830D-84FC6913EFCB.jpeg

If it fails again I’ll send you a pot if you want one it may just be taking a while to get going! Or use orange juice in place of water in the early stages seems to work.
That's good of you thanks.
But I will persevere for a few days more.
You mention orange juice, I've also read pineapple juice, presumably it's genuine 100%, not the concentrate?

That's good of you thanks.
But I will persevere for a few days more.
You mention orange juice, I've also read pineapple juice, presumably it's genuine 100%, not the concentrate?
I just used a drop of whatever we had in the fridge it may have been pineapple it is supposed to keep the nasty bacteria away.

I keep trying new formulas and record the results this was my best loaf for a while looking forward to eating it with soup later!

867E5766-1C78-40BF-A0AB-AA37BC013358.jpeg

I've finally got a starter up and running.
It's been bubbling away like mad the last few days.
I did the "spoonful of starter in a glass of water, if it floats is good to go".
Mine did so followed recipe on here and just finishing up ready for fridge overnight.
I don't have any bannetons so will just shape it by hand and hope for the best tomorrow.

I've finally got a starter up and running.
It's been bubbling away like mad the last few days.
I did the "spoonful of starter in a glass of water, if it floats is good to go".
Mine did so followed recipe on here and just finishing up ready for fridge overnight.
I don't have any bannetons so will just shape it by hand and hope for the best tomorrow.

Can always put a tea towel in a bowl if it needs supporting good luck !

I got there in the end.
Lots of errors along way but well worth it.
Lovely crisp crust and light inside.
It certainly won't be the last one I'll make.
Thanks for the advice

Argghh pics won't show, I'll try again later.

I got there in the end.
Lots of errors along way but well worth it.
Lovely crisp crust and light inside.
It certainly won't be the last one I'll make.
Thanks for the advice

Argghh pics won't show, I'll try again later.
Good to hear John

Yes pics are needed definitely!

Finally got pics to work.
I ended up baking in a bread tin, the bowl/flour/tea towel made a right mess and left things flat.

Tried my successful formula again and it Worked!!

If it works next time I’ll post it here as all I really want is a regular recipie that works reliably.

D49031BF-7985-483A-95C8-0A68063F0572.jpeg

Very nice looking bread :)
The one I baked yesterday had a lovely crisp crust, today after keeping it overnight in a plastic food bag its no longer crisp, have I gone wrong anywhere or does the crispness only last a short time?

Very nice looking bread :)
The one I baked yesterday had a lovely crisp crust, today after keeping it overnight in a plastic food bag its no longer crisp, have I gone wrong anywhere or does the crispness only last a short time?

Pretty much lasts a short time mate we eat most on same day!
Can be crisped up in oven next day, or makes great toast if any goes stale ales great croutons for salads or tasty breadcrumbs for treacle tarts or stuffing etc.

Thanks. Thought I might be storing it wrong.
Guess I'll have to bake next one a weekend morning so I can get a good day out of it while it's at its best.
Cheers

IMG_20191004_161417.jpg
Done another today, tastes lovely but a bit flat.
I turned it out of the floured tea toweled bowl but it just flopped and stuck to the tea towel.
It was quite sticky but hoped it would rise but it really didn't.

That is a great effort great looking air holes I’d be well happy with that second attempt!

That is a great effort great looking air holes I’d be well happy with that second attempt!
Thanks, it's lovely tasting, I just have to sort out why I'm getting a really sticky dough that won't hold its shape and sticks to everything it touches, I've got accurate scales and measured as per ingredients.

I’ll type up my recent recipe tomorrow are you using strong bread flour?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom