Question Speaker calibration - what db level for receiver

Alps

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to ask what level DB I should raise my speaker levels to when calibrating my speakers for the following setup. Currently the levels are at 75db. But I want to get as much quality and clarity at low level volume when watching films.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR3010 with a 5.1 setup. I use it in the living room and watch films at night when the kids are sleeping so can't really blast the system too much.

So, what would be the best settings for me?

Don't mess with the levels. You need to look for a night mode or dynamic range compression option or setting. Use this while listening at lower levels in order to help compensate.

The Onkyo receiver you have is equipped with Audyssey room EQ correction. Within its Audyssey settings, turn DYNAMIC VOLUME on. This will make quieter aspects of a soundtrack more audible at lower volume levels.

Leave the levels were they are currently. Use something like DRC if your receiver has it.

Thanks guys. So, even if I were to recalibrate the speakers at, say, 45db, watching films at night at lower volume would be no different than the settings at 75db?

I'll look into Dynamic Volume. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks guys. So, even if I were to recalibrate the speakers at, say, 45db, watching films at night at lower volume would be no different than the settings at 75db?

I'll look into Dynamic Volume. Thanks for the tip.

Recalibrating the speakers so that 0db master audio equates to 45db as measured from your listening position would only make matters worse. Plus the fact that 75db is used as the reference because this is roughly what the studios where soundtracks are mixed use. The idea is that your setup is calibrated in a manner that recreates the same environment as was used when the audio was mixed. Simply turning the master volume down to -30 would basically be the same as calibratng the receiver so that 0db master audio equated to 45db. Don't alter the calibration because there is nothing to gain by doing so.

This article explaining the differences between relative and absolute volume may prove informative:
What’s the Difference Between Relative and Absolute Volume?

This article also helps explain why 75db is used as a reference level for the calibration of AV receivers:
THX reference level explained - Acoustic Frontiers

Last edited:
Thanks Dante for the informative reply.

I'm glad I don't need go through the whole calibration process again phew!

Now off to read your links.

If you are watching at night when people are sleeping, then probably best to just manually turn the sub and/or bass down - its the sub in particular that will tend to carry all over the house even at low volume.

If I'm watching something quietly at night, I tend not to care about bass much and also cutting the bass by 6dB may improve dialog clarity so you dont need the level as high anyway.

If you are watching at night when people are sleeping, then probably best to just manually turn the sub and/or bass down - its the sub in particular that will tend to carry all over the house even at low volume.

If I'm watching something quietly at night, I tend not to care about bass much and also cutting the bass by 6dB may improve dialog clarity so you dont need the level as high anyway.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume's purpose is the allow you to turn down the master Volume and listen at quieter levels whilst not losing the quieter aspects of the soundrack. There's no reason to reduce the louder aspects via other means if using Dynamic Volume and if reducing the master volume. His receiver is equipped with Dynamic Volume.

Last edited:
Receivers are designed to calibrate at 75 db t

Audyssey Dynamic Volume's purpose is the allow you to turn down the master Volume and listen at quieter levels whilst not losing the quieter aspects of the soundrack. There's no reason to reduce the louder aspects via other means if using Dynamic Volume and if reducing the master volume. His receiver is equipped with Dynamic Volume.

All true if your primary concern is what you hear rather than what someone elsewhere in the house might hear when they are trying to get to sleep.

I know what the purpose of these kind of systems are and how they work and even how to build them around op-amps. I still maintain my wife is more thankful I turn the bass down (sub in particular) than using any such systems as even sub at low level tends to carry through an average modern house if you have a reasonable sub.

All true if your primary concern is what you hear rather than what someone elsewhere in the house might hear when they are trying to get to sleep.

I know what the purpose of these kind of systems are and how they work and even how to build them around op-amps. I still maintain my wife is more thankful I turn the bass down (sub in particular) than using any such systems as even sub at low level tends to carry through an average modern house if you have a reasonable sub.

The fact that you are turning the master volume down negates the need to reduce the sub level. You'd already be reducing the levels without destroying the balance. There's no requirement to alter the sub's level independently of the other channels.

I should introduce you to my wife then - she will tell you otherwise :)

I should introduce you to my wife then - she will tell you otherwise :)

And I'd inform her that she is wrong. She is your wife and I'm in no way obligated to appease her. Neither is anyone else here married to your wife unless you've a special arrangement and she's a bigamist?

Regards to our good wives, I'm quite lucky as mine watches films with me and really enjoys watching them with all the AV stuff powered on. My KEF sub has packed up recently and she refuses to watch films until it's fixed.

And I'm lucky in regard to my little brats ( 8 and 4) as right now they sleep through the noise. Don't know how long that would last though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom