Speaker Tutorials

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Great stuff, clear, concise and to the point tutorials!

Cheers!

Fantastic.

When could we expect the sub positioning tutorial?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Fantastic.

When could we expect the sub positioning tutorial?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

thats what I'd be interested in, great help Tnx AV.

great !!!!

but realy would like a SW video as that what i need to sort out the most

Very good stuff.

What I like about it is the clear and concise approach.

I wonder whether there are complete and detailed tutorials such as these that cover intermediate to advanced levels done by someone with a huge amount of real world experience ???

Interesting, am I to infer from his statement when holding the KEF egg, that if you are using full size floor standers capable of low frequencies you do not need a sub !

You mention in the tutorial that the FL and FR speakers should be moved if they are in the way of the screen but what about smaller screens? As I understand it Dolby recommend an angle of around 30 degrees for these speakers but would this not based on a recommended TV size for your viewing distance? One website I came across which calculates a recommended size screen for your viewing distance for example, recommends that you have a screen size of just over 57 inches when sat just 6 feet away. This would leave only a small gap between the edge of the screen and the speakers whereas a 32" screen would leave a much bigger gap between the speakers and the screen. In this case would the speakers not be better placed closer to the edge of the TV screen meaning the angle of these speakers is reduced from the recommended 30 degrees?

Are there going to be any other tutorials videos following these three?

You need to cross the axis of the listening position as close as you can get to around a foot infront of where you are sitting. So all of these 30 / 45 / 60 degree's advisories are great in an ideal world but go out of the window a bit in most peoples systems. As most people don't have a nice square room & this could put one front on a 30d axis whilst the other may need 60d ?????????? As said the centre is the most important bit of kit as this draws your focus to what you are viewing. The stereo comes l+r front & rear speakers. This is because you brain processes in stereo as you have an ear on each side of your head. Then the way your grey matter translates this also enfasises the central image as what you hear is processed & then focused on your primary sense which is sight. The easiest way to explain this is if you just have a pair of stereo speakers & no centre speaker you will still get a central image in the sound stage. So if you put a monitor between the speaker chances are the voices will seem like they are coming ot of the screen. As for the Sub play it under 80Hz if you can as this is below the Omni-directional threshold & therefore should make it harder to locate. The only reason you would be aware of where it is..... is because you know you put it there...... For a true full on surround effect imho you would also need to be cleaver & have the equipment plus ability to set all of the delays youself (as we do in car audio......;)) or need an amp that can process the required delay from front to rear speakers. As the effect created is all about reaching the listening position @ the right time.........

Last edited:
surround speaker height out-moded now in advent of atmos?
where you want separation between surrounds and ceiling speakers to prevent collapse of soundfield?

I agree with some of the more recent comments, we need these videos updating please. I think there are better examples of "reference" rooms available now - the surround speakers and positions in the video are a poor example in my opinion of when hi-fi stores demonstrated kit back in the early 90s.

Can I ask a question on a slightly different issue? When there is the same class of speakers between the stand mounted and tall boys, are they the exact samething, other than having stands built in?

What is generally more desirable?

Too bad the sw tutorial never happened! :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom