I am looking for some advice with upgrading my current 5.0 (yes 0!) setup,
Current setup:
A/V - Pioneer VSX-521
Fronts - Tannoy Mercury V4
Rears - Tannoy Mercury V1
Center - Tannoy Mercury VC

Budget is £1500 - £2500
Purpose: Movies/Film

I am getting a new 4k screen soon and so the AV receiver needs replacing which has given me motivation to improve the audio now I have funds available.

I am really not sure if these speakers can be repurposed or are still 'good' to use in the system, if not what would people be recommending to replace them with?

For A/V I found the denon 3600 for £699 which seems like the best mid range to pick up so thats currently the option I am looking at. I want to have as complete setup as possible and can add more speakers later down the line if recommendations are over budget.

I am keen on having many more channels with ceiling speakers etc for maximising use of dolby atmos, I can access ceiling from above so work installing stuff is no problem (my house so can destroy things!)
Attached a few photos of the room, apologies for the mess had clear out of office so everything from work dumped here haha.

For the sub I was always seeing BK recommended back when I was looking, I wont be ever buying another one so I am thinking of getting the BK P12-300SB-PR, theres plenty of room for it so no issue with putting it in the room.

Dont know if there is any other information you guys need, again any input is appreciated on this! I will keep reading in the meantime

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_220720.jpg
    IMG_20200602_220720.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200602_220700.jpg
    IMG_20200602_220700.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200602_220654.jpg
    IMG_20200602_220654.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 45
That's a small room so I wouldn't go crazy on the number of speakers. Start with 7.1 and leave it for a bit then ceiling.

I would strongly recommend bipoles for side and rears due to how close you are to surround speakers

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at these bipoles speakers. I guess another consideration is inwall/ceiling speakers for the rears instead as that would maximize the distance.

You've no room for anything more than 5.1 or 5.1.2 with Atmos unless you move that sofa quite a way from the wall. I would also consider standmounts instead of floorstanding speakers as their current positioning is fairly compromised especially the right hand one which is firing directly at the armchair. Both fronts are pushed into the corners and boundary issues are always an issue with floorstanders because of the cabinet size. No need for big floorstanding speakers in a 5.1 as the sub will be picking up all frequencies below 80hz. Although you will have to budget for stands standmounts offer far better value and bang for buck over a similarly priced floorstander.

Bipoles such as the MA FX range would be more suitable for the rear wall in a 5.1/5.1.2.

Yeah my old place was a much better room for my current audio, chucked it in place for the moment while everything was moving.

Stands aren't a problem as the rears are currently on stands and their replacement would just be on the wall instead.

I will have a look at the monitor audio FX ones, is there any particular version? They range widely in price, will look at reviews but if you had a specific suggestion in mind.

What would you get for the fronts? I assume the normal idea of keeping speakers in the same class applies today? I think silver 50s looks like a good mid point but will have a read up.

Thanks for the suggestion given me a point to read at now.

For the sub I was always seeing BK recommended back when I was looking, I wont be ever buying another one so I am thinking of getting the BK P12-300SB-PR, theres plenty of room for it so no issue with putting it in the room.

In case you didn't know, I emailed BK last week and they didn't know for sure but said it could be at least 3 months before they will have the parts to start producing more of the P12's.

In case you didn't know, I emailed BK last week and they didn't know for sure but said it could be at least 3 months before they will have the parts to start producing more of the P12's.
Oh wow really? I saw a note on their site and it said out of stock due to covid at the moment but didn't expect a 3 month lead time. I am happy to wait to get that sub though, I've been without one for 5 years so 3 months isn't going to hurt too much!
I assume there isn't really a better alternative any for that budget anyway right?

No, the BKs seem to give the most value for money. I ended up spending £550 for a REL HT1205 compared to £480 for P12-PR or about £420 for one of their b grade's (which seem to be nearly spotless by most accounts) on ebay.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom