Question Speakers for Clear dialogue only?

Gremlins

Established Member
Reaction score
I just set up my first home theater for the first time, a simply 3.0 system. Unfortunately I may have gone too cheap on my speakers or receiver as i have to turn up the center speaker quite a deal. But unfortunately this also turn ups the non-dialogue sounds from the center channel, making them too loud compared to the other two speakers.

Pioneer VSX 421 K
Alto MK2 passive speaker(s)
Alto Center speaker MK2 passive

Not sure what mistake was made, but I want even clearer dialogue. Any tips?

Don't know anything about your speakers but sometimes poor dialogue from the centre can be a result of poor positioning or room dynamics. A photograph of it in it's current position would certainly help.

Sometimes a bad mix also if you have ten movies and all but one is ok with speech need to bump up dialogue enhance.

A tiny little center can be swamped so two or three way can cope better.

There's also night mode or drc try those

There's 2,8 meters between my chair and TV.
Currently the speakers are set to +3 and 70 decibel and master volume 34. I still find the dialogue too weak unless i turn it up, but the center channel is not only dialogue, which kind of messes with the left and right speakers and can make it sound weird.

Thanks for helping.

IMG_20200603_204639384.jpg
IMG_20200603_204700870.jpg

Ummm...all three speakers on the floor? Get some speaker stands

No wonder it's poor if it's on the floor. You have to raise all those speakers and throw a rug down on the floor in front of them. Having speakers on a floor is the one of the worse possible placements. Lifting all three speakers and using a rug I will guarantee a significant improvement in the overall audio and certainly much clearer dialogue.

Thank you for your responses. Seems like one wants speakers to be ear level? This would be impossible for my center as it would block the TV itself.

I'll be getting a rug for the floor. I'm not sure if there is a brand of shelves or stands for amateurs/beginners like me?

This is what I did with my 65" TV. Shelf thing from IKEA bargain corner and 4 IKEA kitchen unit legs. Less than £20 and works to perfection.
As previously mentioned, stands for the L & R.
IMG_20200604_113019.jpg

Or get rid or your centre, put your left and right on stands and then set up as stereo (Phantom centre).

You are just directly all the sound at the floor at the moment, so all you're hearing is reflected sound.

Even raising a small amount and tilting back so it's aiming at you would be better.

I will be getting a better TV bench and stands for the L/R, thanks all. I'm still worried that it might be unclear after, if it is i won't know what to do.

I will be getting a better TV bench and stands for the L/R, thanks all. I'm still worried that it might be unclear after, if it is i won't know what to do.
It will improve. I have had a bridge made to go over my centre similar to the one above.
169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone, but i am quite frustrated how no one prepared me for how much effort it it is to set up the speakers and not even having them work. Everyone said it was going to be so easy and guaranteed to have clear dialogue, etc etc. No mention of all the extras required, stands, carpets, having to do the wires all over.

I think I'm going to trade it all, hopefully for a clear dialogue soundbar. Anyway, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom