Speakers for Denon X3600, Please help

sman009

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Having a very good result with Denon X3600, I decide to upgrade my speakers.
Could you please recommend the Front and the center speakers first. I will save up for the rear/ surround speakers later.

- Speakers configure is for 5.1 ( or 5.1.2/ 5.1.4 in the near future)
- Stand mount speakers are preferable because there is no room for floor standing ones.
- Movie watching is nearly most of the time ( 90%)
-Low level volume is used for listening at night even though it is not really late ( 8-9:00 pm)
-Ceiling atmos speakers will NOT be used in the future.
-Upward Atmos speakers will be tried in the near future
- External amp will be added in the near future for atmos speakers
-Budget is around £500-£800 for the front and the center.

The current speakers are Velodyne DD10 sub, 17 years-old AR center speaker and Mission bookshelf and Technics speakers from Mini HiFi system for the surround. At the moment, I can say that the result much better than the soundbar Q90R I listened in the shop.

Thank you very much in advance

LV room.jpg

Last edited:
Any chance for upping the budget for the LCR by little so you can look the popular 500£ standmount models as the center channel often bumps the total price to ~900£ ?!

One thing that jumped to my eyes was the addition of external amp for atmos speakers. Not sure why you would do that as the receiver is capable to run 5.2.4 out of box and often if poweramp is added it will drive the LCR and receiver the rest. Depending of your listening volume / speakers you might not need one either.

Great to hear you have some quality subwoofer there! :smashin: If the budget is tight then i think one very intresting deal is going atm by KEF. You can give any old speakers in trade for KEF Q350 + Q650c and you get 20% discount from both, that put´s them around 823£. Normally bit over 1k£. And they also have Q50a Atmos upfiring speakers in their line.

Other popular choices up to 900£, list prices taken from RS:

Dali Oberon 3 + Oberon Vokal - 499£ + 299£

Monitor Audio Silver 50 + Silver C150 - 499£ + 375£

Klipsch RP-500M + RP500C - 500£ + 425£

B&W 606 + HTM6 - 549£ + 399£

SVS Prime Bookshelf + Prime Centre 529£ + 339£ =black ash / gloss cost extra (AudioVisualOnline)

The Klipsch RP (600) and SVS Prime series are VERY popular in US for HT system, but there is no easy answer as people like different sound so best would be to google up those, read reviews/owners opinions and make a list which are intresting, then book demo time from local dealer. You can often compare 2-4 speakers if they have them on stock.

Quad S2 Standmounts, great speakers, nice ribbon tweeters
Quad SC Centre speaker
Quad S1 Standmounts

Last edited:
Thank you very much Gasp3621 and 2Ch Man

about Klipsch RP-500M, there is a vent at the back. My position is quite near against the wall. Will it have a bad effect to the sound?

Have you got any idea about:
KEF R100
KEF LS50
KEF R200C

Thank you very much Gasp3621 and 2Ch Man

about Klipsch RP-500M, there is a vent at the back. My position is quite near against the wall. Will it have a bad effect to the sound?

Have you got any idea about:
KEF R100
KEF LS50
KEF R200C
The KEF R100s and the R200C are rear ported but come complete with full and half ported inserts. Mine are close to a wall and rear ported and work extremely well. The LS50s are also rear ported but I've only experienced them in an audition room against R300s. Preferred R300s.

The R100s punch well above their weight for such a small speaker and the R200C is a superb centre with great clear dialogue.

Mine are close to a wall and rear ported and work extremely well.
Thanks for your experience. That mean there is no problem if placing near the wall.

R100 + R200C =299 +579= £878
Q350 + Q250C = 499 + 499 =£948 ( 20% off trade in)

Decision, Decison, it is hard to make

My R300s are 250mm away from the rear wall and half ported. Bass is just right, certainly enough for me to play them in stereo without a sub when listening to music, I'm not a bass head. Same goes for the R100s as they are mounted on B-tech BT77 wall mounts with a crossover of 100hz for surround sound.

That's a good deal on the KEFs at the moment. I never had that luck although did manage to negotiate a discount with the dealer several years ago.

Thanks for your experience. That mean there is no problem if placing near the wall.

R100 + R200C =299 +579= £878
Q350 + Q250C = 499 + 499 =£948 ( 20% off trade in)

Decision, Decison, it is hard to make

I believe the R200c is sold out months ago. They often keep them on the site so that they can say "sorry it`s sold out, but we can offer you good deal from new R2c". :rolleyes: Wouldn`t be first time.. 299£ for main speakers and 850£ for center channel. Ouch! This is why members have bought R100s and found R200c as 2nd hand around 300-400£. You can do that too if you can wait for one to come up.

What is close to walls? Can you leave 20cm space behind speakers and wall? If you go listen Q350s try them with bungs also, because sources tells us that they sound much more balanced with bungs on, without bungs the bass can be too overpowering.

That's a good deal on the KEFs at the moment. I never had that luck although did manage to negotiate a discount with the dealer several years ago.

You will have luck if you want to upgrade your speakers right now. I am very happy to be the second owner of your R300 and R200C. Let me know please

You will have luck if you want to upgrade your speakers right now. I am very happy to be the second owner of your R300 and R200C. Let me know please
They are going to be with me for a while yet.

You should try and listen to different brands of speakers and decide with your own ears.
My last speaker purchase was between B&W, Monitor Audio and Kef, I had not had any of their speakers before but that was what the Shop I purchased from had in stock. For me it was the Kef's but for you it may be different

They are going to be with me for a while yet.
The R300 is discontinued. I am thinking of Kef r100. However, spending time for searching, there is no KEF R100 with black glossy finish.

May be, I have no choice but switch to Kef LS50 just in case for my taste changing to music listening as well as movie

The R300 is discontinued. I am thinking of Kef r100. However, spending time for searching, there is no KEF R100 with black glossy finish.

May be, I have no choice but switch to Kef LS50 just in case for my taste changing to music listening as well as movie
Peter Tyson have the R100 in piano black for £299, an absolute steal. The LS50s are a tier above the 100s and are excellent speakers, but they do like current. I was driving R100s with a Denon 2310, an early tier level of the 3600 and they did sound good.

Peter Tyson have the R100 in piano black for £299, an absolute steal. The LS50s are a tier above the 100s and are excellent speakers, but they do like current. I was driving R100s with a Denon 2310, an early tier level of the 3600 and they did sound good.

Thank you Gibbsy for very quick help of searching

Oh no, I forgot to let you know I did upgrade from 3600 to 4500. There is a horrible story of the Richer Sound's staff who serviced me at Romford branch. I will post an warning post at separate thread to alert the other AVforums members later

Budget is stretching a bit. I will order R100 for the surround and R200C
I will also make appointment to audition LS50 for the front

You will find it almost impossible to find a 200C. Your best bet is a new R2C or Q250. The LS50s will certainly be better with the 4500. It is possible to use as a centre and KEF, selling direct, will supply a single unit.

Hi Gibbsy
Thanks for the link to PT. However, when choosing the finish option, it states BLACK, not piano glossy or black glossy. I am not sure that is the one with Piano Glossy finish I am looking for?

It's the only black that they do on the R Series, Piano black. It's what I've got. The Q Series have a matt black.

I am thinking of Kef r100. However, spending time for searching, there is no KEF R100 with black glossy finish.

Did you ask from Peter Tyson? They list the gloss black R100 still at their site.

Edit. Didn´t update the thread........ Forget it.

Gibbsy, I was wondering if you would be kind enough to detail your setup please

I saw his setup photo in another post. it made my mount watering
that is why I did ask him whether or not he want to upgrade his current speakers. I am happy as the second owner....

Panasonic 65FZ802. Fronts: KEF R300, R200C. Surrounds R100. Atmos R50. REL T5 Sub. Denon AVR X6200 with Rega Elicit-R driving the R300s. Pioneer LX500 4K player. Marantz sa8005 SACD player direct into Rega.

I also have a completely separate headphone section.

Thank you every one for advice
Finally, I choose KEF LS50 Piano glossy finish to go with Denon X4500 for my room size.
The speakers and the stand's cost will put off someone and steer them to floor standing ones.
However, LS 50 is suitable to my taste.
What I love:
- Small size, they look not dominate my room
- Looking at them can be addictive
- Great at low level volume
-The soundstage and image make me remember of my Quad ESL63. I can't believe it can manage to produce great sound for it's size
- Someone says bass is weak. However, for my taste and my room, it is more than enough
- Can be used for movie as well as music
What I dislike:
- Position should be far away from the rear wall for optimal performance ( Take space. You should note about this before buying)
- Difficult to match a centre ( Someone suggest buying another separate LS50 for centre)
- Need a good stand to support.
- No grill ( however, I love looking them without grill. They look more sexy without grill)

Hi
Someone ,could you please let me know if the KEF make a proper single box with foam for a single LS50 ?
Or
They just split them then pack it in any kind of box?
Thanks

Hi
Someone ,could you please let me know if the KEF make a proper single box with foam for a single LS50 ?
Or
They just split them then pack it in any kind of box?
Thanks
The way KEF pack things it should be perfect. If in doubt ring KEF customer services.

5.1 Setting up was done. All are 5 of LS50 speakers. I am happy with the effect result.

I did try some small old book shelf speakers on the top front of LS50 as Atmos enabled speakers, then setting crossover. However, the result was not convincing at all.

I am going to try adding small wall mounting speakers near the ceiling. It seems that only Cambridge Minx 12 ( white colour finish) is permitted by my wife. They are small and less noticeable

I am not quite sure if it is a good spending or just a waste of money?

Please give your advice. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom