Specific Soundbar/Sub buying help needed!

Ripper83

Established Member
Reaction score
So I had already been considering an upgrade on my 4 year old sony ct780 soundbar, wasn't sure I could justify it but my little boy has taken a liking to inserting toys into the subwoofer speaker! Managed to get most of them out but there's something in there still which just wont dislodge and is causing an awful rattling noise whenever there is deep bass.

So I've decided it might be best to find a different solution, my budget is £300+ which I appreciate doesn't get you loads today, especially in dolby atmos terms but this is my current shortlist if anyone can advise please:

Panasonic HTB700 - Not managed to find many reviews on this but it appeals as its 3.1 as opposed to 2.1 and the sub speaker is downward facing so there's no hole in which toys can be inserted. Also has a form of dolby atmos although no upfiring speakers but I'd hope it would feel a big upgrade on my old sony soundbar?

Sony 8500 & Sonos Beam - These eliminate the separate sub speaker entirely which makes me unsure as I really do enjoy having that bass feel and think soundbars need all the help they can get to fill a room but they do seem to have very good reviews.

Sharp htsbw460 - again know little about this but does seem good value in price range with down firing sub woofer and 3.1 Dolby Atmos.

I have a sony tv so would have preferred a sony soundbar for convenience but not at the cost of performance, I also appreciate there are other options in price range like sony htxf9000 and Yamaha yas-209 but I don't want to take the risk of an open sub woofer being filled with toys again!

Any thoughts, recommendations and opinions appreciated!

Last edited:
There are many good options out there inc the ones you have mentioned. Yamaha always give a solid performance , there are offers on the samsung msw-650 that i once owned was 499 now just over 200.00 , if you can find a shop the sells a few and have a listen, currys are useless Richer sounds far better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom