Speed difference between Sky and Vodafone - Anything I can do ?

snowy2004

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've had a Sky broadband FTTC connection for some time (recontracted last year to get new Sky hub).

It's the superfast up to 59Mb service.

I've only ever got a maximum of 34Mb from this line.

I recently had a new line from the pole to the house installed and Vodafone's FTTC service activated on it. I wanted the second line for my home office.

However, even though both lines come from the same pole (pretty much outside my garden gate) and both terminate in the same street cabinet the speeds on both are very different.

I get 34Mb on the Sky line and 47Mb on the Vodafone line. Surely the Sky line should be capable of the same speeds ?

Is there anything I can do to get Sky to up the line speed ?

Here are the stats from both routers :

Sky :

Broadband Link DownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed34998 kbps5821 kbps
Line AttenuationD1(17.6 dB) , D2(46.5 dB) , D3(71.5 dB)U0(2.5 dB) , U1(36.5 dB) , U2(54.7 dB)
Noise Margin5.1 dB6.0 dB

Vodafone :

Line Quality

DownstreamUpstream
Current Rate47403 kbps7120 kbps
Maximum Rate48153 kbps7120 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio3.2 dB5.9 dB
AttenuationDS1 17.3 dB, DS2 47.6 dB, DS3 72.9 dBUS0 6.2 dB, US1 37.0 dB, US2 57.1 dB
Power12.3 dBm2.7 dBm
CRC Errors in last 2194 minute(s)615183
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)1014
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.15300.9990
D (interleaver depth)41
Delay0 ms0 ms

The sky one could be affected by vdsl2 crosstalk more than the Vodafone, hence why's it slower. Crosstalk is a bit of a lottery, ie totally unpredictable.

Thanks for the reply :) Is there anything that could done about that psychopomp1 ?

Try a router with a newer broadcom vdsl2 chipset on the Sky line, such as the TP Link 400. This may improve sync speeds especially if you are connected to a Huawei FTTC cabinet.

The sky line has an SNR of 5dB where as the Vodafone one has an SNR of 3dB. This is the reason the Vodafone one is quicker. However it also has CRC errors which is probably being caused by the lower noise margin

You could try and get Sky to set your connection to a speed profile if it's not already on one which may cause the DLM to start knocking the SNR down to increase the speed but it's not a defiant..

Do Sky BB offer a speed guarantee?
If they do and you are below it then it is up to them to sort it out or pay you compensation
Yes they do - Sky Speed Guarantee | Sky Help

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom