Question Spendor bookshelf speakers.

New Forester

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a pair of S3e Spendors for many years, still in great condition. They now sit on shelves on a side wall around 8 feet apart soon to be driven by a new Marantz PM6006 UK edition. Despite their closeness to the walls I get no sound distortion I'm aware of like a too heavy bass. The speakers sound great to me even if recently driven by an old Marantz PM6004.
But I have been thinking. Is there a case for replacing the S3e's with either the A1, Classic 4/5 or Classic 3/5.
Looking at the specs there are some differences. All three alternatives weigh 5kg compared with 8.5kg for the S3e.All three have less depth - 190mm,178mm, 178mm compared with 260mm. All three are 84db compared with my 86db. My range and watts are 60x20KHZ and 15 to 125w. The others 55x25 and 75x25 and 30 to 150w and 25 - 100.
Frankly, I don't have a clue as to what I would notice from most of these variations. Weight and dimensions will make for easier handling but sound is more important to me. Bearing in mind these max out at around £1100 to £1250 I'm not inclined to go much higher for my little room.

So it's really a question for any Spendor fans. Will I really notice a difference in sound if I replace the S3e's. I'm well aware I will need to audition and compare. But if there is unanimity of opinion that I should stick with what I've got I may not bother.

I seem to make a habit of answering my own questions.

I contacted Spendor directly for advice. And this was the reply. And very quick. I will be staying with my S3e's while I remain in my present home. When I move, I'll go for the the very best Spendors that suit my new circumstances. It will be the longer term benefit of great customer service.

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply and for the additional information - very helpful in formulating a reply

First thing to say is that Spendor S3e is still one of the best compact loudspeakers Spendor has ever made (this is not just my opinion) so we would advise careful auditioning of any potential replacements

Spendor A1 and Spendor Classic 3/5 are almost identical, so very little point getting separate auditions of both; Classic 4/5 is a new model which has the smallest front-to-back cabinet depth but as a consequence is wider across the front face than others mentioned - measure your shelf space carefully!

A shame you cannot contemplate a larger loudspeaker, as Classic 3/1 would be the next logical step in sound quality improvement - it has a larger driver so is better able to deal with dynamics, although the rear port might present issues ...

All the models you mention are sealed box loudspeakers, whereas your S3es use Spendor's Linear Flow Port - ported loudspeaker designs as a rule reach deeper into the bass and give a larger scale of sound, by comparison to same size sealed cabinets

You would likely find that Classic 4/5 improves the quality of the voices, but that it would perhaps not have the same scale as your existing loudspeaker

As advised earlier: listen carefully!

Best regards

Rob

I've always found Rob helpful, friendly & quick to respond to queries. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom