Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, after the earlier reviews of the US disc( not by you) Atmos track getting slated, i was a little worried. I guess i needn't be? Great review.:smashin:

Love it! Thanks cas would give the same scores. I thought it sounded fantastic contrary to the US reviews

Great review Cas, not seen this since watching at the cinema.

Definitely be adding this one to my list......

thanks cas,great fun and looks and sounds superb,some of the night time scenes re just wow.

As per the audiophiles, the Atmos track is way inferior to the DTS-HD MA due to lack of LFE.

As always with a Marvel flick this will be added in to the collection as soon as... well as soon as I've reconnected the AV rig following a house move TBH but the intention's there!

One thought that's been building since seeing this on the big screen is it's a fantastic example of just *how good* Marvel are as storytellers. Minimal spoilers but they manage to build a light fluffy romp on an emotional journey that somehow stands alone even if you're only vaguely familiar with the rest of the MCU but packs a huge punch if you've been following along. Then, seemingly just because they can, the mid-credit scene turns everything upside down and the end credit scene... okay, careful with this one... takes what had been a small scale story (for superheroes anyway) and places it in the widest setting possible short of the Spiderverse.

Also have to mention Sam Jackson's line reading when Parker mentions calling in Captain Marvel which for some reason had me in stitches in the cinema. Though boy is that a paring I'd like to see on screen as a way to take Spidey beyond the neighbourhood and into a more prominent Avengers role while letting Carol figure out what being human is in 2024ish. Think Tom and Brie would have a blast playing that.

As per the audiophiles, the Atmos track is way inferior to the DTS-HD MA due to lack of LFE.
see if didn't find that the case, I thought the sound was excellent including the LFE

Thanks for the review Cas,

I have not seen this yet so it is a must have, Glad to see it get good scores all round :thumbsup:

Have to say thought the a/v quality was very good on the US disc but I wasn’t bowled over if I’m being honest. Only truly shone during the more trippy sequences.

Having just watched this, i thought the Atmos track was excellent. I would just ignore the negative comments regards to LFE etc, unless you are sat with a computer, with one of those curve graph thingys, actually measuring the bass, instead of enjoying the film :thumbsup:

It’s another quiet mix, but with the volume ramped up there’s loads of bass when it all kicks off. The sonic blasts are like a kidney punch from my PB3000.

Excellent presentation, and a thoroughly enjoyable romp. 😁

It’s another quiet mix, but with the volume ramped up there’s loads of bass when it all kicks off. The sonic blasts are like a kidney punch from my PB3000.

Excellent presentation, and a thoroughly enjoyable romp. 😁
Hmm funny it’s not quiet on my setup

Hmm funny it’s not quiet on my setup

On my AVR I watched both Infinity War and Endgame yesterday at -16. This was at -10 to get the same level of oomph on the Atmos mix. It’s substantially quieter than the menu music too.

Anyway, it was fine once turned up.

I believe people found DRC being enabled on D+M AVRs automatically with the TrueHD/Atmos track which is causing the inferior sound

Sorry, what do you mean by DRC and D+M?

Thanks for the Review cas. Never clicked with Spiderman, either as a child in the comics, or the later Movies, though I really enjoyed the Character in the Avengers Films. But as this is a kind of follow-on to Endgame & has Nick Fury etc. in it, will definitely rent it.

Sorry, what do you mean by DRC and D+M?
Dynamic Range Control on Denon and Marantz AVRs
Although I think the OP is mistaken and the problem is just the soundtracks being mixed too low.
DRC is off on my D+M AVR and I still find the Disney and Marvell Atmos soundtracks way too quiet and mostly lacking in LFE oomph.

It is a puzzle the contradicting views on the UK atmos soundtrack. Its unusual for ALL reviews to universally pan the US Disc, maybe sony have put an improved mix on the UK disc.

I think so. Blu-ray.com really criticising the Audio but I thank it sounds fantastic. This and end game have the best atmos audio on the marvel 4K discs. FFH sounds better than infinity war imo

Dynamic Range Control on Denon and Marantz AVRs
Although I think the OP is mistaken and the problem is just the soundtracks being mixed too low.
DRC is off on my D+M AVR and I still find the Disney and Marvell Atmos soundtracks way too quiet and mostly lacking in LFE oomph.
Oh yeah, most Disney Atmos mixes are 6dB too quiet, but a Main Volume adjustment will fix that. Others were finding DRC being enabled making it sound infinitely worse

I watched this in the cinema and loved it. I watched it with my wife last night on 4k, but I thought the picture quality was really dull. Really unsure as to why it looks this way. I can't see that any TV settings have changed. It's just a very dull, dark film for the most part on 4k.

I also have a Demon amp but can't find any settings relating to DRC. Can someone help a brother out?

I also have a Demon amp but can't find any settings relating to DRC. Can someone help a brother out?
I have the Denon AVR-X1400. Here is the section about DRC - called Loudness Management & Dynamic Compression - from its manual.
Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 06.50.51.png

Watched this last night on the AF8. Probably the best looking 4k Marvel disc I've seen. Really, really impressive. Which...is what got me through the film. Whilst it definitely had its moments, it got pretty ridiculous by the end & the whole 'projection' concept got really convoluted.

Made for some great visuals though...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom