Splitter, can I remove it?

House7000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ordered Broadband only from Virgin for the first time, expecting it today. Previous owners of the house had Virgin but looks like the cable coming out of the white box on the wall has a "Technetex" two way splitter on the end of it. Do I need to keep this on if I just have broadband or can I remove it? I tried to unscrew it but it seems pretty tight on and don't want to break anything if it's meant to be there for any reason?

The installation videos all indicate its just one cable from the box to the router, no mention of a splitter.

Thanks

Splitter was probably for TV box on one and modem-router on the other.

Splitter attenuates by 4dB so removal runs risk of overload of signal.

When we lived in a ntl: cabled area they had to insert attenuators totalling something like 10dB on our modem feed to get a stable connection. (The cable box was at most 25 metres away, so rather close cf most installs).

So best left alone - although you can ask the Technician who installs your modem about it. They should have a meter to check and the knowledge as to whether it should be left or removed.

They should be tight, and a small tool is used to do up/undo the nut.

Splitter was probably for TV box on one and modem-router on the other.

Splitter attenuates by 4dB so removal runs risk of overload of signal.

When we lived in a ntl: cabled area they had to insert attenuators totalling something like 10dB on our modem feed to get a stable connection. (The cable box was at most 25 metres away, so rather close cf most installs).

So best left alone - although you can ask the Technician who installs your modem about it. They should have a meter to check and the knowledge as to whether it should be left or removed.

They should be tight, and a small tool is used to do up/undo the nut.

Thanks for this. I have chosen the self install option so I will leave it in and see how it goes with just that. If any issues I guess I will have to call VM. Does it matter which cable I connect it to on the splitter?

I was conscious that by leaving it in I would reduce my signal quality but sounds like I may actually make it worse by taking it off?

It may be a TV/Radio splitter. If so use the TV side. More importantly it probably includes an isolator. This is an important safety requirement to stop dangerous voltages from (your) possibly faulty equipment getting back on the the VM network. It also protects against earth voltage gradients between the headend and your installation. Don't remove it.

Thanks guys, I left it in place and just used one of the slots on the splitter. All has been working fine now for over a week.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom