SR6011 gone off to the menders - repair or replace?

ShadowTD

Established Member
Reaction score
So for the third time in 2.5 years, my Marantz SR6011 has been sent back to Peter Tyson for repair. Sadly, as it's outside of the manufacturers guarantee, all PT can do is repair it (Marantz operate a 3 strikes policy in their warranty). I'm quite frankly massively brassed off with this piece of kit - I spent more on this than I've ever done on a receiver, and it's been away for repair for 2 months in total. I've got some options, and I'd like the input of the collective:

1. Get it fixed. Marantz will fix the fault and I'll get it back at some point. Pro: No cost option. Con: Only 9 months left on the warranty.
  2. Trade up. PT have been very sympathetic and offered me a good deal to trade it in for a new machine. Problem is, the SR6013 is £850 so I'm still having to invest a chunk of change and I'm a bit hipped on D&M at the moment. Pro: New shiny with a couple of extras (Heos!), 3yr warranty. Con: Poor, wife throws heavy objects at head.
  3. Trade across. I can have what they've offered me against just about anything. The Pioneer LX503 looks very decent for the momey, but lacks some flexibility with the 7.1.4 upgrade (power amp has to be on the rear channel - wtf?) and it's basically just a rebadged Onkyo and I've never been the biggest fan. There's a few reviews that seem to indicate it's a decent bit of kit. Pro: New Shiny, 3yr warranty, might get lucky this month. Con: Loss of flexibility with upgrade path.
  4. ????
Help me Obi-Wan AvForums, you're my only hope. I've got to move pretty quickly on this as the 503 is the last one they've got.

New 6013 for £699 why pay £849.

The marantz 3 repairs and your out of warranty sounds very bad if it shortens your warranty period.

The contract of sale for your Amp is with PT not Marantz. Also from a consumer rights point of view goods have to be fit for purpose for the lifetime of the goods (5 years is taken as the norm for electronic goods). Now I would argue that given the number of repairs and the fact that it has been away for repair nearly 10% of its life so far, these goods were not fit for purpose. As such PT have a legal obligation to repair them (at their cost), offer you an equivalent alternative product (of equivalent specification) or refund you the value less reasonable deduction for wear and tear over the 2.5 year period. I would say that you are not happy with the goods, as they are not fit for purpose, you do not want a repair and you want a replacement of equivalent value and specification.

As they now longer stock the SR6011 it would not be unreasonable for them to replace it with an SR6012, which they do have in stock.

Oh and I would remind them this saga is being discussed on AV Forums so its their public reputation with the AV community that is also under scrutiny here.

Thanks both. WRT the '3 repairs' - it's Marantz that say if it has 3 repairs in the warranty period they'll replace it with a new model, but that's only inside the 2 years - it's nothing to do with a max number of repairs.
I can't see a 6012 on the site anywhere, only a 6013. But it does appear that they're charging above the going rate. I'll mention that to them tomorrow. I don't think I'm in a position to refuse a repair at this point in my ownership.
Anyone any thoughts on the Pioneer?

Update: Came to an agreement with Peter Tyson - they sent me their unused ex-display 2013 and I'm a happy camper again now :)

Result :smashin: well done to PT.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom