Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Premiere (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Watched it and really enjoyed it. Honestly felt more like a movie than TV show.. which well after this series if they fancied making a movie for this one i'd be totally on board with. Couldn't really fault it other than having a tiny bit of bloat around the new character and 'what they are like' :smashin:

Thanks Cas. I got part way through Season 1 Episode 1 and stopped. But maybe I'll give it another go.

This show does not deserve the hate it has gotten. Yeah it's not the Star Trek we all know and love but it's still an enjoyable experience set in the ST universe. I personally loved season 1 getting to see the Klingon/Federation war. The Klingons are actually intimidating too where, and let's be real, in the past they were a little camp and cheesy.

Season 2 wasn't amazing story wise but was still enjoyable. Season 3 was off to a great start and I'm looking forward to more.

Apart from the god awful compression causing some really grainy noise and the questionable writing, it's mostly good. I don't get the hate and especially with the production value apparent throughout.

It does get a little uppity with the SJW stuff though which is getting boring these days.

Thanks for the review and the spoiler warnings. I'll avoid the trailers then.
To be honest, given the panel reactions on the podcast, I was fearing a far worse score. I'm sure this'll do until we get that final season of The Orville.

I don't even look at this as Star Trek, just an enjoyable Sci Fi series.
(I'm not a trekkie obviously}

I watched the first episode of Gomorrah yesterday, a show in another language, and could tell you most the character names, and how they are related. After two seasons of Discovery I could tell you the names of three people. It's been terrible, not least due to the appalling lead. I hope they turn it around this series. Very much looking forward to the Anson Mount led Trek. The only saving grace of the last series.

I enjoyed seasons 1&2 of discovery- not a hard core Trekkie by any means - but I did go the Trek pub in Pimlico a long while ago 😀. So I have this on to do list for tonight - george

"Free from the shackles of entrenched Star Trek lore, age-old timelines and even The Federation, perhaps this season of Discovery can finally boldly go in a new direction."

So...not a Star Trek show then, just another Sci-Fi show.

I don't know why people say it's not star trek as we know it. I guess its slightly like a reboot and I for one am a star trek fan. I completely enjoyed discovery as a much more upto date / adult'ish presentation of star trek. S1 & S2 were both excellent for different reasons and I hope this S3 is going to do the same again!

Star trek but not as we know it would be Picard - as much as I wanted to like it, it just doesn't have the writing, entertainment or pace as Discovery.

I don't know why people say it's not star trek as we know it. I guess its slightly like a reboot and I for one am a star trek fan. I completely enjoyed discovery as a much more upto date / adult'ish presentation of star trek. S1 & S2 were both excellent for different reasons and I hope this S3 is going to do the same again!

Star trek but not as we know it would be Picard - as much as I wanted to like it, it just doesn't have the writing, entertainment or pace as Discovery.
For a lot of Star Trek fans, it is the lack of regard for a lot of the principles that sit behind what Star Trek tried to show as an aspirational future, where humanity had moved on from current constraints, and yet still told compelling stories about our struggles of today through the lens of different planets and civilisations that were told in the storytelling of exploration and discovery, whilst trying to stick within established Science-Fact or Theory in terms of technology and use of . A lot of people lump that in as a slave to 'canon' but that is being disingenuous. The calibre of the writing in modern Star Trek from the movie reboots to these modern shows doesn't seem to try to acknowledge or adhere to what Star Trek was supposed to be in essence. I saw someone else say this, There has been good and bad Star Trek down the years, but it always at least tried to 'Punch-Up' versus 'Dumb-Down'. I've said it before, I find all this 'Fast-Food' Trek. It doesn't mean you can't have it, or not enjoy it. It's just not satisfying, and doesn't leave me feeling good, as I digest it in the aftermath.

Discalimer: Not watched S3 Ep1 yet, will do later.

"Free from the shackles of entrenched Star Trek lore, age-old timelines and even The Federation, perhaps this season of Discovery can finally boldly go in a new direction."

So...not a Star Trek show then, just another Sci-Fi show.

Yeah I mostly meant being enslaved by what ship existed in what time and what planet was at war with what planet etc. etc. By jumping into the future we don't have to spend the entire season waiting for the Enterprise to turn up, or some cameo from someone recognisable. I mean, much as I love the character and didn't mind the portrayal in this show, I don't really want Spock here.

So this is Discovery without all that. Whether they'll get back to the old Star Trek mantra, as you've described in your other post, is another question entirely, but there's always hope.

Then again, there's always Kurtzman.

Thanks Cas, as i have been a trekkie before you were born, its on tonights viewing list. Unlike most i loved the first 2 seasons ( what the hell its star Trek how could you not) the production values are sky high and whilst i agree some of the plots are prone to meandering , what the hell its star trek!

Last edited:
Looking forward to this.
Not on the high level of The Expanse but still enjoyable....
:)

Yeah I mostly meant being enslaved by what ship existed in what time and what planet was at war with what planet etc. etc. By jumping into the future we don't have to spend the entire season waiting for the Enterprise to turn up, or some cameo from someone recognisable. I mean, much as I love the character and didn't mind the portrayal in this show, I don't really want Spock here.

So this is Discovery without all that. Whether they'll get back to the old Star Trek mantra, as you've described in your other post, is another question entirely, but there's always hope.

Then again, there's always Kurtzman.

We can hope.

By the way is it actually 4K HDR Dolby Vision? I remember season 1 being 1080P HDR which was unusual at the time, but season 2 just 1080p.

We can hope.

By the way is it actually 4K HDR Dolby Vision? I remember season 1 being 1080P HDR which was unusual at the time, but season 2 just 1080p.

No just 1080p Dolby Vision.

The 1st episode of Season 3 was pretty poor imho.

Previously it was the doctor that irritated me, but Burnham took it to a whole new level in Ep1 (on top of her incessant whisper talking). I'm concerned I may have to switch off soon.

Thought that was a good first episode apart from the silly gunfight. Even Stormtroopers shoot better than that. Definitely enhanced by the absolutely superb picture quality too. If every series looked like this, who needs 4K honestly.

Whether you liked or disliked Discovery (personally I "mostly" liked it), it has overall been a ratings failure. I'm not a Trekkie and because of that, I could put up with the non Star Trek aspects being shoehorned in. I have the same attitude towards Kelvin Trek. I liked the stories except when they tried to be cool (f-bombs just sound dumb in Star Trek) or were just stupidly woke.

Jason Issacs, Doug Jones and Michelle Yeoh are great. The picture quality is on the whole great. Some scenes in season 2 had some of the best Atmos I've heard from a TV show, right up there with GoT.

I would have thought that the dumpster fire that was Picard would make people look a little less harshly on this show. For as much as they did to Spock, they did Skywalker level damage to Jean-Luc. I've heard some of the issues they had behind the scenes in completing this so it might be interesting to see how they solved them. That plus the fact that I did like the first two seasons and Cas' comments might push me to watch when it is complete.

Hey Cas, I've seen that cover picture you use before as part of their marketing. I still think it looks very silly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem with Discovery, remains SMG. She has no gravitas, apparent humour or dimensionality really.
The start of the episode seemed hopeful, as she had dropped all the breathy acting pretty much but back it came in spades.
Ajala showed her up as being lightweight but actually gave hope to the show. I caught myself saying, he might make this more worthwhile and it wouldn't be the first show I've watched for others than the lead.

I read that SMG has announced that she'd lovvvve (her wording, sheesh) to be in the Walking Dead spinoff that explores past lives of characters. My thoughts were a). Does she know this may well be it for Disco without a massive uptake? b). Her character was lite to say the least. c). Just like her character, slimy, self-important woman.

Last edited:
I pretty much enjoy anything SciFi and the first two seasons were quite enjoyable. I'll not start watching this until I finish off Season 4 of The Expanse

I loved S1 and 2 and never really understood AVF editorials hate for it. Not a Trekkie at all, but I liked Picard a lot apart from the useless finale, obviously.

Liked the LOTR crossover with the orc character.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom