Star Trek General Chat

I forgot to post this last week, CBS had their quarter earnings call and it was announced that they will be launching a international streaming service that will have content from CBSAA, Paramount, MTV, Showtime and Nickelodeon. I do wonder if this is where Star Trek for international viewers will end up although the list of countries in the first wave are South America and the Nordic countries.

There is also the possibility that CBSAA will be rebranded Paramount+ now that the two companies have completed the remerger it is thought that CBS is more of a old people brand and that Paramount is known by the younger and international audience.

image.jpeg

So I was listening to an episode of Inglorious Treksperts and they were discussing the movie The Forbidden Planet. So I went of and watched and oh my, that is pretty much a precursor to archetype for Star Trek (and Lost in space too).

It is pretty much a Star Trek episode and you can see where Roddenberry stole borrowed ideas from.

So I was listening to an episode of Inglorious Treksperts and they were discussing the movie The Forbidden Planet. So I went of and watched and oh my, that is pretty much a precursor to archetype for Star Trek (and Lost in space too).

It is pretty much a Star Trek episode and you can see where Roddenberry stole borrowed ideas from.

Was it your first watch? I'd seen it several times on tv and now have the blu. The robot in Lost In Space was a direct lift from the film.

Bri

Was it your first watch? I'd seen it several times on tv and now have the blu. The robot in Lost In Space was a direct lift from the film.

Bri
Yep it was the first time I had seen it, I haven't seen a lot of the 50s B movies. I did enjoy this and after seeing it you could tell where a lot of the Star Trek ideas had come from.

Ever wondered where these rumours about the demise of Star Trek come from. A YouTube has spent the last few months laying an elaborate trap for some of the most vocal Star Trek detractors whose channels are are full of videos that have info from anonymous sources.

What a surprise that they simply spout anything anyone tells them. Absolutely fascinating.

Ever wondered where these rumours about the demise of Star Trek come from. A YouTube has spent the last few months laying an elaborate trap for some of the most vocal Star Trek detractors whose channels are are full of videos that have info from anonymous sources.

What a surprise that they simply spout anything anyone tells them. Absolutely fascinating.

I’m going to counter-argue this. Full disclosure I subscribe to Doomcock and Midnight’s Edge channels, I find them informative, this does not imply I believe or even endorse their narrative.

Firstly, they always qualify their ‘insider leaks’ where they have not been able to independently verify. That doesn’t give them a pass, but nor does it give anyone who watches a pass to blindly believe them either. In the recent video Doomcock even specifically mentions that as it’s from 4Chan, given history, it is not to be trusted, but ‘other’ insiders have led him to believe there may be some credibility.

Secondly, not all leaks turn out to be true, this is simply the nature of the game. But in terms of previous leaks on Star Trek, they’ve sometimes been right, and certainly in terms of Star Wars they have mostly been right. Therefore you can’t conclude that all Doomcock’s insider leaks are ‘made up’ and without merit.

There has to also be an understanding of how this all works. All insiders are often anonymous, it’s tremendously difficult to verify, and it’s impossible to implicitly trust the information. This is because leaks have different purposes. Disgruntled employees with an agenda, representatives trying to leverage a position, an indirect way of revealing insider information, to achieve an internal goal, deliberate misinformation to stir trouble. Leaking information can equally be a goal of disclosing incorrect info, as opposed to correct information. It depends on the agenda. In fact, if you think about it an anonymous insider who gives enough credibility based on knowledge and clues to employment is more than likely a planted story, because genuine leaks, the leaker would be massively disposed to avoid being identified given the nature of the information, and repercussions.

Likewise, a stitch-up like described in this video, has its own agenda. Deliberate traps like this create nothing positive. Creating a lie to get someone to repeat the lie, so you can call them a liar, and therefore assume that everything else they say is a lie is just completely ridiculous FWIW I’ve seen this guys videos before, and I find his channel bland and boring. Here he’s fallen into the bitter trap, of using his platform to attack a competitor on the same platform, and this is just a downward spiral, he’s already lost the game.

Spoilers and a Discovery one round the middle if you not watched yet.

I though the last one was one of the saddest Star Trek episodes ever in their selection.

Whats your saddest episodes without giving away why.
I thought Voyagers Drone episode was a good one the self sacrifice of a Borg to save the humans from danger, at one point you think they saved him only for it to ripped away.

Whats your saddest episodes without giving away why.
I thought Voyagers Drone episode was a good one the self sacrifice of a Borg to save the humans from danger, at one point you think they saved him only for it to ripped away.
I have been racking my brains for the last day and the only really said episode I can think of is DS9 The Visitor.

I have been racking my brains for the last day and the only really said episode I can think of is DS9 The Visitor.
The mention that one in the video, some good ones in there.

A couple I don't think they mentioned Lower Deck when one of the cadets from the academy that was part of a cover up is shown on the Enterprise and sent on a spying mission. Also Lesson when Pickard falls for a head of stellar science in Lessons it was made more poignant as I only found shortly before the repeat the actress had died in real life.

Last edited:
Amazing! Actually gave me chills.

First day issue stamps
AA First day cover ST.jpg

A quick question...would anyone miss having a Star Trek movie.

1. - What would the movie be about.
2. - What era would it be set in.
3. - The ship and crew..???

I'd like a new Kelvin but they don't appear to be liked by the majority of Star Trek fans. And nor would the studio pay the actors wage demands, who wanted parity with Marvel's actors. Yeah, right. Not.

I love the Original series, Its aged very will, great art direction, use of color, stories and acting and music
I think all the original cast films are all master pieces, and I also love the three most recentt films
I never liked the next generation (to 1980s) , but I like Patrick Stewart as an actor.
as a general rull Im not a fan of the spin offs,
and I cant wait for a new Star Trek film to be made with the same outstanding cast as the last three films!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom