Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett Origin... (2018) directed by James Mangold

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
The second Star Wars Anthology film tonight is rumoured to be a Boba Fett origin film, something we have heard before, but now gaining traction.

This would have been directed by Josh Trank, who rumoured recently was dropped by Disney.

There is a possibility as previously rumoured Han Solo will also get a origin movie. They will be looking for a young actor who fits the bill.

Last edited:
I'd rather they not make solo (no pun intended) films with the main characters if I'm being honest. Stick with the fringe characters if they have to do any at all !

So when is Jar Jar Binks getting his spin off! I know my nephews would watch it!, that's two viewers already lol

I would like to have a Wookies spin-off action film though

I quite fancy an Obi-Wan spin off using McGregor. It could be set between 3 and 4 in a similar vein to Rogue 1

Actually, I have never seen the big deal with Fett to be honest. He's just a small time bounty Hunter who appears fleetingly in only two movies. Albeit he was shoehorned in to special edition of A New Hope.

I saw Joe Johnston retweet someone suggesting that he direct this - wonder if he is in the running?

We already know Boba's origin. Presumably, any spin-off film would be set after The Clone Wars. And, naturally, it would have to star Daniel Logan.

Johnston's been retweeting more tweets from people asking lucasfilm to give him the gig. With his history with the character and ILM I guess he might be a possibility.

It's nice when chickens come home to roost. We've seen it with Lawrence Kasdan returning for the screenplay for episode 7; it'd be nice to see more luminaries from the original films being involved in Star Wars again.

It's nice when chickens come home to roost. We've seen it with Lawrence Kasdan returning for the screenplay for episode 7; it'd be nice to see more luminaries from the original films being involved in Star Wars again.
Johnston went into overdrive on Twitter retweeting loads of tweets in favour of him directing. I'd love to see him get the gig, he seems the ideal choice.

Rumoured that Matthew Vaughan and Jon Favreau are possibly in contention to helm the spin-off.

It might focus on the conflict between Han Solo and Boba Fett and feature Chewbacca, Lando Calrissian, and the Bounty Hunter Bossk from “The Empire Strikes Back.”

Last edited:
That's a rumour I'd like to see made reality. I was gutted when the photo of the cast for The Force Awakens was released - the black and white shot with everyone sitting around amicably chatting away - and Billy Dee Williams was absent from it.

Kasdan hinted that we may see Lando in future episodes.

I wonder why they decided that he was not integral enough to include him in The Force Awakens, though? God knows, there's at least one supporting character in Episode VII that I'd happily see the back of to make way for Lando.

Kasdan hinted that we may see Lando in future episodes.

If he shows up, great. If he doesn't, I'm not bothered.

The character was only ever a Deux Ex Machina (not to mention the obligatory black character) for Han Solo in Empire. He basically stood in for Luke & Han doing 'pilot duties' in the Battle of Endor after his inexplicable promotion to 'General'- just to give him something to do.

He certainly isn't crucial to the new films, and Billy Dee Williams isn't much of an actor to be honest. If he's in it, I'd like to see him back as leader of Cloud City (any excuse to go back to that wonderful place).

I wonder why they decided that he was not integral enough to include him in The Force Awakens, though? God knows, there's at least one supporting character in Episode VII that I'd happily see the back of to make way for Lando.

The character was only ever a Deux Ex Machina (not to mention the obligatory black character) for Han Solo in Empire. He basically stood in for Luke & Han doing 'pilot duties' in the Battle of Endor after his inexplicable promotion to 'General'- just to give him something to do.

He certainly isn't crucial to the new films, and Billy Dee Williams isn't much of an actor to be honest. If he's in it, I'd like to see him back as leader of Cloud City (any excuse to go back to that wonderful place).

The other thing Kasdan said was that they're keen to keep the running time down, as close to 2 hours as possible (he mentioned how bloated other blockbusters are with 2.5 hr+ running times) so in answer to Quarry's question, I guess there's only so much they can squeeze in to this first (seventh) episode.

lucasisking - my worry about Lando now is that if he's the same character he might come across as some pervy old man rather than the suave lady killer with the flowing cloak.

The other thing Kasdan said was that they're keen to keep the running time down, as close to 2 hours as possible (he mentioned how bloated other blockbusters are with 2.5 hr+ running times) so in answer to Quarry's question, I guess there's only so much they can squeeze in to this first (seventh) episode.

lucasisking - my worry about Lando now is that if he's the same character he might come across as some pervy old man rather than the suave lady killer with the flowing cloak.

Perhaps he's being treated unfairly...

Thanks, Markus. I'm glad they're keeping the running times consistent with the previous six films. There's simply no need for every blockbuster to clock in at 2.5 - 3 hours long. If Lando has been the casualty of that, so be it, but the idea of Threepio being jettisoned out of an airlock within the first five minutes to make way for the old scoundrel (indeed, to make way for any character - second Ugunaught from the left included) still appeals.

I think someone must have told them about his little maneuver at the battle of Tanaab ;)

Looks like the directorless film needs more development time and pushed back to 2020, a project that was originally going to be helm by the infamous Josh Trank.

Kathleen Kennedy:
“It’s still one of the stories that we absolutely want to tell. There is a lot of innovative technology in and around what it is we’r e doing with that story, so for a lot of reasons, we were comfortable postponing that. But we’re definitely still developing it… We’re trying to get to a point where we’re never rushing for anything.”

Fett's had his time; Cad Bane's my man now :)

Looks like the directorless film needs more development time and pushed back to 2020, a project that was originally going to be helm by the infamous Josh Trank.

Kathleen Kennedy:
It sounds like Trank has been unfairly maligned, he's completely denied the rumours about his departure from the film but yet it seems to have stuck with him. It sounds like hollywood isn't for him given what happened with Chronicle 2, Fantastic Four and Star Wars. He doesn't seem suited to the studio system at all.

It sounds like Trank has been unfairly maligned, he's completely denied the rumours about his departure from the film but yet it seems to have stuck with him. It sounds like hollywood isn't for him given what happened with Chronicle 2, Fantastic Four and Star Wars. He doesn't seem suited to the studio system at all.

It's a difficult one with so many reports coming out not in his favour. I just hope he can and will still make films outside of the studio system, or even gets to work with another big studio should he wish and is not blacklisted.

Even More Fantastic Four Drama Leaks -- Vulture

Johnston went into overdrive on Twitter retweeting loads of tweets in favour of him directing. I'd love to see him get the gig, he seems the ideal choice.
Considering his history with Star Wars spin-offs though, i am not so sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom