Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
9 out of 10 ? Oh Dear....

187d2p.jpg

Good work Cas, loving the reviews...i told myself i was going to wait for the separate releases, but all of a sudden, I'm feeling the urge to buy the full saga 4k boxset!!

Thanks for the review Cas,

watched Attack last night so i'm ready for Sith the best Imho of the prequels, also like the darker tone necessary for Anakin's transition to full Sith ...

Thanks again, Cas. Definitely one where I can see the whole Movie would benefit from the Upgrade, whereas for me the first two just have bits I would like to see in 4K plus HDR...
But then there is the Atmos....
Oh Dear, almost glad that there is no way I can afford the Box set right now. :D

I recently watched Sith.
After a fun start to the movie, it then focuses on a series of meetings, Anakin walking into meetings, Anakin and Padme godawful love story, more meetings, Anakin walking into a room, listens to exposition, more meetings, Anakin and Padme love story.

Once the film hits midpoint it becomes heartbreaking; tragic. A strong feeling of emotion. I didn't understand why Anakin suddenly had to kill children because Palpatine told him to. I think he should have refused the order, so Darth Sidious orders his troops to do it instead. At least that way it hints he has limits and that Sidious hasn't totally screwed him over.

I like that the battles in the republic palace goes unnoticed by the larger public. I couldn't help but think of Hitler's rise where many Germans' heads were in the sands.

Anakin was a passionate Jedi who cared about people but also a slave to his emotions. The Jedi were generally arrogant, and although they were selfless, they couldn't look beyond their dogma. All Anakin wanted was to be loved and to love, the Jedi denied him that. Because they treated him like an idiot he had no choice but to turn, it released his emotions but also made him a prisoner.

Last edited:
Thanks again Cas for the review......enjoying this series.

Same as you I found this easily the best of the prequels and arguably better than Ep 9. Although some things jar massively, like as you say Padme just dying, Yoda declaring he'll go into exile just like that, the "noooooo" scene, the ease at which Obi-wan slices Grievous' limbs, the ease Palpatine cuts through the jedi when being arrested, some dodgy CGI still........but there's loads to like, i.e. the score, Mustafar, Order 66, the "opera" scene, McDiarmuid's performance.

Looking forward to your OT review

I wonder if Lucas watched the original trilogy before writing any of the prequels? There are a few things that just don't make sense in terms of continuity. One thing that's always bugged me is in Empire when Yoda states that there is another and Obi Wan seems totally oblivious but in ROTS he's practically acting as a midwife when Luke & Leia are born!

I really like ROTS and have never understood the hate the prequels get. I know they're not perfect but they're plenty of fun and Lucas finally has the tools at this disposal to create his full vision (for better or worse). It's just a shame they didn't have a better actor for Anakin. Christenson really suffers from Lucas' lack of direction it seems.

Thanks again for the review Cas.

I was already buying into getting the Skywalker Saga at some point anyway but your review has just made this an absolute guarantee at this point. Really looking forward to watching all these again; even if a couple of them might be a bit of a slog in places. Hoping prices come down a bit first though!

Hope you are keeping well :)

Love this film, my third favourite in the series. It looks terrific in UHD, but sadly my copy was scratched in the set, along with Attack Of The Clones, and wouldn't play past chapter 24.

The best of the prequels, but for me it's the only the last act that has any weight, and that last act feels so rushed... Leia going to Alderaan, Yoda going to Degobah, Anakain becoming Darth Vader - it's all packed into the final few minutes, with no time spent on any of these momentous moments, which are supposed to shape the original 'Star Wars' movies.

Why are Darth Vader's shoulders different, why is the helmet symmetrical, and completely black?
- very strange design decisions.

Regards,
James.

My favourite Star Wars film along with Empire. Glad to hear it has a great transfer. I think it has the best score out of all the films. John Williams absolutely smashed it.

"...the gullible, angsty moron..."
Review quote of the year so far.
Definitely the best of the three first films in content and now disc quality.
I actually didn't think the child killing was a step too far, as Ani goes full tilt on his killing spree up to them. Still, after enduring Ewok's and Jar Jar Binks, Lucas could've had him genocide a village and I'd of gone, yup, he knew he had to go big to distance from that.

This is much more like it and still stands up today - the effects look so much better than the previous 2. Some mis steps (that truly awful nooooooooo) but a really good film with plenty going on and lots to enjoy.

I completely agree with the reviewer about General Grievous. A fantastic creation who is utterly wasted and should have got far more to do. The bit where he escapes out of the window is great, the unveiling of his lightsabres is a wow moment, the superb design of his armour, even his cough is cool!

Crickey, that's a brave score. I don't really get why people think is somehow a stand out and not unwatchable like the other prequels. Hayden Christensen is still as convincing as a plank of wood, it's still wall to wall blue screen, the dialogue is still abysmal, and Lucas doesn't even nail the ending. It's a truly awful movie.

I guess it's the best of the three perhaps, but this is like saying standing in dog poo is better than standing in a cow pat.

Still, it's at least not as bad as The Last Jedi. For me, 2/10 at most.

Thanks Cas.

Pretty much what I thought about this one as well. Definitely all the better for its darker edge and whilst it still doesn't quite reach Return of the Jedi, its certainly the best of the prequels and I love the end of this one too.

Hey Star Wars prequels haters - if you don't like them, you don't have to buy them! I hate Marvel - you wont catch me buying them! But if you are a fan you need the boxset don't you?! Oooh the agony! :D

I actually didn't think the child killing was a step too far, as Ani goes full tilt on his killing spree up to them. Still, after enduring Ewok's and Jar Jar Binks, Lucas could've had him genocide a village and I'd of gone, yup, he knew he had to go big to distance from that.

d35472edf540e013c9c77f5e16df9f6c.jpg

Thanks again Cas, I enjoyed this one, the opening battle scene felt like a proper star wars film.

Can't agree on McGregor though, I thought he was as wooden at Christensen throughout the whole prequel.

Casting was pretty poor for all 3 films, the only person they got right was Palpatine IMO. In saying that, the new trilogy was also awful is this regard.......again, the best was, erm, Palpatine!!

Thanks for the latest review, Cas.

Have to agree with above, 'the gullible, angsty moron' is probably the greatest (and most accurate) phrase I've ever read in a Star Wars review. Well done. :rotfl:

I've taken a small break in my Saga rewatch. I don't want to rush through them all at a film per night so I'm going to watch Revenge Of The Sith on Friday night. This is the one I'm looking forward to the most from the prequels. Glad to hear that it's also the best looking of the three regarding disc video quality. Can't wait to see the opening scene in 4K HDR.

I don't think there was that much wrong with the casting; there are some top actors in the prequels, but there's only so much an actor can do with poor dialogue and a green screen to react to.

For me, the best actor and character in the prequel trilogy is Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn

For me, the best actor and character in the prequel trilogy is Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn
Totally agree. He often gets forgotten when people talk about Star Wars. I suppose because there is so much to talk about in general with the Saga. Neeson brings a depth, tenderness and humanity to the character, which must have been difficult considering what he had to work with. He's just a brilliant actor full stop really, with some wonderful credits to his name.

Last edited:
Although, across the whole saga I think Ian McDiarmid is the best on show. He brings a gravitas to every scene that he's in... Except maybe when he's gurning his way through confrontations like Widow T****ey in a provincial town's production of Aladdin (i still enjoy his performance then too :D).

I know your 9/10 score is actually for 'Pantomime Palpatine', as this is very much Ian McDiarmid's film :D Everyone else is just a bystander. I guess you gave an extra mark too for how Palpatine falls over that chair ;)

Easily the only re-watchable one of the Prequel Trilogy though, and maybe one day I will catch it in 4K.

Maybe....

I never had a problem with Anakin butchering the younglings. If you do, I think you've misunderstood the nature of the Force.

The Force, particularly the Dark Side, is something that supplies power to the Sith, yes, but it also actively controls people. Think of it as a conscious, malevolent psychic force, or even as a kind of omnipresent demonic influence. The Jedi constantly strive to keep the Dark Side at bay in the same way as Christian monks battle to keep sin and Satan at bay.

When Anakin surrenders himself to Palatine, he is doing the equivalent of a Christian priest literally selling his soul to the Devil - he's inviting the Dark Side demon into his body and letting it possess him. From that point on he's no longer in full (and sometimes not even partial) control of his own actions. The Dark Side twists his mind until he's no longer Anakin any more in any meaningful sense. (But of course traces of Anakin remain, buried deep down, and are reawakened many years later by his discovery that his son is still alive, which pierces the veil of rage and despair).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom