Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Thanks for the review, this will always have a special place for me, I remember going to see it at the Rochester odeon with my Dad, we queued for what seemd like ages (to an 11 year old 15 minutes is an eternity!). I was gobsmacked. I still enjoy the first trilogy so much, the other 6 just don't do that much for me.

via the apple 4k streamer getting full dolby vision performance and picture much superior to a 4k HDR episode VII disc I did own...but not part of new set.
You will have been watching in Dolby Vision, just not 4K.

I'm confused though, as Episode VII has never been available on 4K disc.

Nice review and kudos for mentioning the herculean 4k77 fan effort which will probably remain my viewing option of choice even after I purchase the OT once individual 4k releases are available.

Have watched a bit of the OT on Disney+ and at least it looks that bit more natural and closer to the original release colour wise so still looking forward to seeing it in proper 4k HDR - out with the magenta in with the 'Maclunkey', baby steps I suppose.

fwiw - I'm sure it was also reported on multiple US sites a while back that these are 2012 or 2013 4k scans Disney carried out as soon as they received the 2012 masters created for the intended 3d releases.

I queued outside The Odeon in Manchester with my mum & sister for this. I remember going to get chips to stay warm as the doors closed (I think it would have only had one screen then!!) we were about 100 yds from being inside, so had to wait through a showing before went in

I still get goosebumps when I hear "You're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and go home" and Leia looks up ☺

I may get this on 4K eventually(if I get a PS5 or X Box Series X), I've had it on VHS (still got it) DVD at least twice and Blu Ray.

I queued outside The Odeon in Manchester with my mum & sister for this. I remember going to get chips to stay warm as the doors closed (I think it would have only had one screen then!!) we were about 100 yds from being inside, so had to wait through a showing before went in

I still get goosebumps when I hear "You're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and go home" and Leia looks up ☺

I may get this on 4K eventually(if I get a PS5 or X Box Series X), I've had it on VHS (still got it) DVD at least twice and Blu Ray.
I saw The Spy Who Loved Me there and it just had the one screen then. It also put on shows I saw Jr Walker & the All Stars with The Temptations there and before them Gladys Knight.

This was posted in blu-ray.com forums by a member and does a rather nice comparison of the
2011 Blu Ray / Disney + / 2019 UHD disc and the Project4k77 release

I was toying with the idea of buying episodes 4,5&6 from WowHD but by the time you factor in fast delivery and the possibility of getting hit with customs charges it really mounts up :(

This was posted in blu-ray.com forums by a member and does a rather nice comparison of the

If we look at that scene in isolation, I guess that banishes the idea that the UHD Blu-ray's extra bandwidth "makes a huge difference" over the Disney+ version, as one reviewer claimed.

Hopefully we get individual releases for the three proper star wars movies. Of not then I'll pass. I don't want a box set with six poor quality films.
not to release individually would be commercial suicide.

Have you got a link to that post... 2005 wants it's landing page back. That is the most hideous home page I've seen in nigh on two decades...

Have you got a link to that post... 2005 wants it's landing page back. That is the most hideous home page I've seen in nigh on two decades...

I think Slow pics works really well for being able to press left and right between overlaid screen grabs at full res to compare the differences in a release like this.

I watched A New Hope over the weekend on Disney + in HDR, picture quality wise it was good but i need to buy a 4k player as i have the 4k boxset (thought my PS4 Pro played 4k discs)

Anyhow, what surprised me was how different the grade is in the new scanned version. Its a lot more cinematic with a warmer colour temperature. Some of the shadow details is now more neautral and the skin tone looks a lot softer with an overall reduction in saturation. Id almost say that whilst the version from the 2012 blu-ray maybe a bit too saturated i think they've gone a bit too far in the opposite direction.
The overall contrast looks to be reduced with some shadow areas look more lifted, if they did the HDR pass first this may have accounted for that.
The DNR is great although you can some some noticeable breakup and artefact in the trench run and a little bit on the lightersabers.
From what i can see the same look was applied to Empire and Jedi.

Ive done some side-by-side comparisons below to illustrate the grade change.
Please note that the side by sides are done with two Rec 1886 (2.4 Gamma, Rec 709) broadcast masters so im not comparing the SDR vs the HDR.

sw_anh_regrade1.jpg
sw_anh_regrade3.jpg
sw_anh_regrade4.jpg
sw_anh_regrade5.jpg
sw_anh_regrade8.jpg
sw_anh_regrade17.jpg
sw_anh_regrade20.jpg
sw_anh_regrade21.jpg
sw_anh_regrade10.jpg
sw_anh_regrade11.jpg
sw_anh_regrade27.jpg

Hopefully we get individual releases for the three proper star wars movies. Of not then I'll pass. I don't want a box set with six poor quality films.
not to release individually would be commercial suicide.

I am in this camp too. I think I am just going to get the Original Trilogy from Ebay in the US.

(oops) thought this was the boxset thread.

That dewback scene looks like it is from a different movie.

I watched it last night and all the "Special Edition additions" really look out of place. They never sat that comfortably but they seem even worse now.

That apart, they've done a pretty decent job with this disc and as everyone says it's probably the best it's ever looked.

Post Removed.

Last edited:
This copy of the rear cover from Amazon.de seems to show that the 4K has English Atmos but the blu ray included is 7.1, or have I gotten that wrong ?

FAF8191A-8CF7-4CC7-AF36-48FA1FB576D5.png

This copy of the rear cover from Amazon.de seems to show that the 4K has English Atmos but the blu ray included is 7.1, or have I gotten that wrong ?

View attachment 1298208
No, that is absolutely correct. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to look at a physical copy because there are no outlets with copies near me. My post was going off what Amazon.de, Saturn, & Media-sealer all post as the Audio spec.
So, great news! Thank you!
I checked earlier, & there was no rear shot posted on Amazon.de, so this must have been updated a short time ago - damn them for making a fool out of me! :)

No problem, I’m just relieved because I was about to cancel my orders for the individual releases from Amazon.it :)

No problem, I’m just relieved because I was about to cancel my orders for the individual releases from Amazon.it :)

I never lost faith, this time next week they should be on their way baring another delay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom