Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

After watching the latest ‘Clone wars’ season, I appreciate even more how the prequel trilogy expanded SW universe and lore 1000x. This s**tful trilogy on the other hand not only adds nothing, but actually destroys much of what came before - should b e avoided at all costs by any fan or even common moviegoer.
What a bunch of B.S... Gimme a break. 1000x? :rotfl:

Did anyone else find the compression on this, to be a wee bit brittle looking in places?

The Mrs laughed all the way through, she thought it was embarrassingly bad. Having seen Droid Tales for the first time on the Disney+ trial she also thought that gentle parody did a better job in places (that medal). Some of the stock film tricks (the "echo" about droids) had her asking what kid had written the script and what should have been the epic twist at the end had her writhing with how utterly contrived it was.

She wasn't wrong, I thought all three were dire and that script, oh dear, "I've never been readier"

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Disney does it again :)

Different film, same result :(

Another empowerment movie with no soul.😞

For all it's bang the drum faults, I liked Captain Marvel. But in general Disney doesn't seem to be able to write this kind of 'empowerment' story without hollowing it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrong thread?
Lol. Not exactly which is why I'm only posting that comment. The point I'm making is that Disney did the same thing here, as they did in Star Wars with the main character.
This film was made around the same time as TLJ and RoSW. The people who are saying it are well known reviewers like Dan Murrell ex Collider. So just an FYI showing the trend. I hope that even if you disagree, this clarifies where many of us where coming from.

Lol. Not exactly which is why I'm only posting that comment. The point I'm making is that Disney did the same thing here, as they did in Star Wars with the main character.
This film was made around the same time as TLJ and RoSW. The people who are saying it are well known reviewers like Dan Murrell ex Collider. So just an FYI showing the trend. I hope that even if you disagree, this clarifies were many of us where coming from.
Can I have one more season of your excellent show Agent Coulson? Pretty please? :clap:

I finally watched this mess a few days ago, when I got bored. A friend of mine had given it to me about a week after it was released. He hated it so much he wanted it gone. My opinion?

1. Terrible movie, story, acting, and especially, the editing are all badly done As bad as Harrison Ford was in ROTJ. And that's BAD. 2/10
2. Sounded great. I'm glad it was daytime so I was able to watch it at a decent level without my neighbor's crying about it. 9/10.
3. It looked great too, all in all, I have no technical complaints about it at all. 9/10.

It would have been better as two decently edited films where stuff wasn't chopped up to cram everything into one movie. But it wouldn't have been much better. As my friend said when he handed it to me, "F JJ Abrams". I was never as big a SW fan as he was, but JJ ruined it for me too, along with his trashing ST.

I finally watched this mess a few days ago, when I got bored. A friend of mine had given it to me about a week after it was released. He hated it so much he wanted it gone. My opinion?

1. Terrible movie, story, acting, and especially, the editing are all badly done As bad as Harrison Ford was in ROTJ. And that's BAD. 2/10
2. Sounded great. I'm glad it was daytime so I was able to watch it at a decent level without my neighbor's crying about it. 9/10.
3. It looked great too, all in all, I have no technical complaints about it at all. 9/10.

It would have been better as two decently edited films where stuff wasn't chopped up to cram everything into one movie. But it wouldn't have been much better. As my friend said when he handed it to me, "F JJ Abrams". I was never as big a SW fan as he was, but JJ ruined it for me too, along with his trashing ST.
As much as people hate on JJ, this isn't all on him. Yes he did a terrible job and that's his fault. But he was basically set up to fail from day one.

AV in both 3D and 4K are stunning. So good in fact that after I sold TLJ (not JJ but RJ and had poor AV which is interesting), I bought TFA 3D. As much as I would love to have the 3D version of Fall of Skywalker, the terribleness of the film along with its history just makes it a very difficult purchase for me. Even if it was a fiver I would struggle to justify the purchase.

To be totally honest, I expected nothing less than the train wreck it was. I group a couple of directors in the "Always crap" section of my mind and JJ Abrams and M. Night Shamalan(I'm not going to bother to look up the correct spelling) are major players in there. I haven't liked a single thing they have done,. Nothing, and I said out loud when I saw that JJ had been given the "Keys to SW", "Oh boy, it's gonna be a shitstorm!". And oh boy, was I right. He blew ST totally, too. The first one wasn't too bad, the casting was fine, but he couldn't even cast a decent Khan? Seriously? The whitest of white guys name is Khan?
When I saw the rumors it would be Cumberbatch, I laughed. Until it wasn't a rumor.

I wouldn't hire him to direct a 5 year old's birthday party video.

But I'm an old guy and there aren't all that many movies made today I actually wouldn't be pissed if I paid to see them. The last movie I saw in a theater was Godzilla in 2014, and my main comment was "It would be nice if Godzilla showed up a little more!". But it was better than the 1998 mess. I work with a lot of 20 and 30 somethings and I eventually see a lot of the movies at work and I just hate so many of them.

To be totally honest, I expected nothing less than the train wreck it was. I group a couple of directors in the "Always crap" section of my mind and JJ Abrams and M. Night Shamalan(I'm not going to bother to look up the correct spelling) are major players in there. I haven't liked a single thing they have done,. Nothing, and I said out loud when I saw that JJ had been given the "Keys to SW", "Oh boy, it's gonna be a sh*tstorm!". And oh boy, was I right. He blew ST totally, too. The first one wasn't too bad, the casting was fine, but he couldn't even cast a decent Khan? Seriously? The whitest of white guys name is Khan?
When I saw the rumors it would be Cumberbatch, I laughed. Until it wasn't a rumor.

I wouldn't hire him to direct a 5 year old's birthday party video.

But I'm an old guy and there aren't all that many movies made today I actually wouldn't be pissed if I paid to see them. The last movie I saw in a theater was Godzilla in 2014, and my main comment was "It would be nice if Godzilla showed up a little more!". But it was better than the 1998 mess. I work with a lot of 20 and 30 somethings and I eventually see a lot of the movies at work and I just hate so many of them.
JJ Abrams was responsible for making me think my projector had a fault. I even turned off the projector and turned on the TV. This was whilst watching Star Trek for the first time, the issue was lens flare, specifically the crazy amount of lens flare on the bridge of the Enterprise.
I've since found out that JJ thinks lens flare is clever but someone really needs to give him a slap and tell him it isn't. To make it worse other directors who should know better are also using lens flare. There is a scene in Solo where one of the actors walks through the light source causing the lens flare to disappear and reappear. I hated that, so distracting.

Finally caught this on 4K after giving it a miss at the cinema.. I lost interest mainly because of the awful acting and dialogue that has plagued this final trilogy from the off but this one seemed to me to be the worst of them all.. In fact thinking back (And now all the dust has cleared) I actually enjoyed "The Last Jedi" the most - at least Rian Johnson tried to bring something fresh to the table..

The biggest problems that have plagued these films have been JJ and Disney basically thinking he/they were rebooting instead of carrying on a story and casting Daisy who quickly was directed into a cookie cutter lead character Rey, as skilled at delivering lines as Hermione Granger is (the difference being that Daisy can act - shes just miscast completely here) - a plank of wood would have been just as effective.

Picture quality was excellent though sound wise I did find I was pushing this above ref level to have any sort of impact.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom