Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Only writer Chris "two Marthas" Terrio could have come up with
the granddaughter revelation
. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Has AV Forums retconned The Last Jedi out of all existence?

Interesting that the reviews jump from The Force Awakens to The Rise of Skywalker, unless I'm missing something.

Interesting that the reviews jump from The Force Awakens to The Rise of Skywalker, unless I'm missing something.
If only that were true.

Just about to ask the same thing :rotfl:

RIP Star Wars

Thanks Cas. Saw it at the Cinema in Imax. Very interested to watch it again, but will need to wait for maybe an Ebay second-hand copy.

Isn’t it a new disc?

Was about to say the same thing, it’s a new encode with a lower bitrate in the Skywalker Saga set so would have been interesting to hear how it compares to the 2018 disc.

Thanks for the review

We watched the 4k UHD version as a family yesterday. Me and kids had seen it at the cinema but it was my wife's first viewing......she thought it was rubbish :)

I enjoyed it second time round due to the 4k visuals and audio. However its not a great film and some of the dialogue and acting is poor. Both Finn and Poe are pointless as characters and some of their exposition dialogue is excruciatingly bad !

I agree that the return of Palpatine was ridiculous, however Ian McDiarmid is great again in the role.

To me the 4k visuals are good and reflect what I saw in the cinema, but its not a showoff disc for me...its not like John Wick(s) as a disc to show off the format. Audio really needed a massive volume boost and it was more immersive rather than distinct overhead usage. The bass was great at times.

In the end not a great film with too many head-shaking and WTF moments. However for some reason I still enjoyed it......just because its Star Wars :)

removed dolby vision to match the others,so just hdr10.
Was about to say the same thing, it’s a new encode with a lower bitrate in the Skywalker Saga set so would have been interesting to hear how it compares to the 2018 disc.
This is again not released stand-alone in Germany until April 30th. Interested if the stand-alone will use the Box Set Disk version or the (US?) Dolby Vision version

This is again not released stand-alone in Germany until April 30th. Interested if the stand-alone will use the Box Set Disk version or the (US?) Dolby Vision version

Well the re-issue in Australia used the new discs (the Blu-Ray got a new audio track and the bonus disc got a new feature) so I imagine it will be the same the world over.

Image is possibly one of the best i have seen on my system (4k) sound is good although I wish they were a bit more creative with the sound mix.
Despite my problems with last jedi I actually quite enjoy this last entry.

would expect it to be hdr10,disney have dropped dv from discs.

For anyone lucky enough to have a full atmos setup, this film (especially the opening 10 minutes) is pure demo material, especially when you add in the visual - HDR popping all over the place.

3D auro use the speaker term "voice of god" the start of this film literally felt like that! Pure eye and ear candy! Exceptional, very surprised the audio was only a 9 (I didn't have the mix level issue).

The film though? Poe and Finn - would have been better if they died in the first one!!

I am biased in that i saw this in IMAX with my 10 year old that i took to see all the new films which made it a very very special daddy daughter moment and a cherised memory. I think it did a decent job of wrapping everything up. I still don't understand how they managed to screw up the making of the new trilogy by not having it all planned out across 3 films.

The best thing about this disc is it retains a light filmic grain to the image whilst displaying a near demo presentation throughout. For all the film's faults, there was still a lot to like overall. Sound was great but like other Disney discs, I needed to turn it up to get the best out of it. WHEN IS ROGUE ONE COMING TO 4K!! That will be the demo disc for Star Wars fans...

Yes, I agree. I sold mine, might have to get myself a replacement for my OCD completeness... it is after all a complete box set.

The best thing about this disc is it retains a light filmic grain to the image whilst displaying a near demo presentation throughout. For all the film's faults, there was still a lot to like overall. Sound was great but like other Disney discs, I needed to turn it up to get the best out of it. WHEN IS ROGUE ONE COMING TO 4K!! That will be the demo disc for Star Wars fans...

I imagine Rogue One will appear in the U.K. along with the individual releases of 1-7 but could be many months away if this year at all but if you don’t want to wait it’s shipping from Amazon.de now.

"Shot on film (some scenes even on 65mm), the glorious native 4K Digital Intermediate is what forms the basis of this Ultra HD Blu-ray release.

The disc presents an upscaled 3840 x 2160p resolution image"

I'm confused. How can it be a native 4K digital intermediate and an upscaled image?

Looking forward to revisiting this. During the theatrical run came away rather disappointed as it felt overstuffed and with some of the worst of J.J.'s sci-fi traits that drive me up the wall (a decision to ignore trivial things like 'time' and 'distance' chief amongst them). On the other hand I'm hoping some distance will let me shift away from my general exhaustion with the franchise or, more specifically, with the fandom. Never known any other group who profess to love a product so determined to tear down anything new and different, even Doctor Who isn't this bad!

Personally I'm not sure I'd agree with the previous movies differing tones "preventing this sequel trilogy from ever feeling like it had a cohesive, unified voice ". I mean, A New Hope and Empire are pretty damn different from each other and yet Return of the Jedi managed well enough. For me the problem was they set up that wonderful thread with Rey not being a known name and went to great lengths to crowbar open the possible horizon of the star wars universe... then ran right back to what they knew. Frustrating as hell, especially when the animated side has shown what can happen if you step away from the expected path. Again, hoping it sits a bit better on home viewing, fingers crossed!

"Shot on film (some scenes even on 65mm), the glorious native 4K Digital Intermediate is what forms the basis of this Ultra HD Blu-ray release.

The disc presents an upscaled 3840 x 2160p resolution image"

I'm confused. How can it be a native 4K digital intermediate and an upscaled image?

Because I like confusing people people with typos. Edited now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom