Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker Review & Comments

Just to add to the above as a Mod Comment, Coulson if you could ease off on this thread it would be helpful for everyone else. Thanks.

Just to add to the above as a Mod Comment, Coulson if you could ease off on this thread it would be helpful for everyone else. Thanks.
Just like before, I say in my comments, let's leave things there, I even reply in private conversations so as not to clog the form. But people keep asking questions and clarifications, or comments that miss the point I make. Usually I clear the point, others chime in and we're done.

You're basically saying don't respond to questions and comments. Won't happen again.

May the force be with you......after Sunday :rotfl:

Obi- Wan did what he did in order to set Luke on the hero's journey. That was the most dangerous threat to the Emperor at the time, which is what he meant by the striking him down line.

At that point we also have to assume Vader is now full Sith, therefore his hatred and anger for Obi-Wan would have blinded him to this possibility.

A possibility that he realised once he started seeing his son behaving like a Jedi.
I'm not sure I agree on that. It seemed pretty clear to me that Obi-Wan was warning Vader that he would become more powerful in death due to his knowledge of the force - something which Vader did not learn as a Jedi and wasn't able to as a Sith.

I also still have to hark back to that line Vader says to Luke in ROTJ about "Obi-Wan once thought as you do". That really does open up the possibility that Obi-Wan tried to turn Vader back (which we definitely didn't see in ROTS) at some point after ROTS. That would be pretty amazing to see another encounter between those two in the Obi-Wan series, even if it's a "force facetime encounter"!

I'm not sure I agree on that. It seemed pretty clear to me that Obi-Wan was warning Vader that he would become more powerful in death due to his knowledge of the force - something which Vader did not learn as a Jedi and wasn't able to as a Sith.

I also still have to hark back to that line Vader says to Luke in ROTJ about "Obi-Wan once thought as you do". That really does open up the possibility that Obi-Wan tried to turn Vader back (which we definitely didn't see in ROTS) at some point after ROTS. That would be pretty amazing to see another encounter between those two in the Obi-Wan series, even if it's a "force facetime encounter"!

Or maybe there are a load of half baked writers who couldn't make it as a decent novelist laughing there arses off at people taking the story line seriously to the point they feel it was or will be a real world.

In a office with a white board.
"OK guys we need to make money and appeal to these crazed Star Wars fans."
"Everyone get in your crazed fan Star Wars mode and put your hand up with something lame that will appeal and it goes on the white board."
"I would like to call it a brainstorming session but we need to keep this simple and cliche, don't be stupid and try anything original"
2 hours later..... a white board filled with cliche Star Wars ideas fill the white board before them.
Turning to the type of screen writers that probably pass at a level for a episode of Mrs Brown Boys they are instructed just to get all that junk off the white board into a screen play.
About two days later it is ready.
Star Wars continues....................

Last edited:
Or maybe there are a load of half baked writers who couldn't make it as a decent novelist laughing there arses off at people taking the story line seriously to the point they feel it was or will be a real world.

In a office with a white board.
"OK guys we need to make money and appeal to these crazed Star Wars fans."
"Everyone get in your crazed fan Star Wars mode and put your hand up with something lame that will appeal and it goes on the white board."
"I would like to call it a brainstorming session but we need to keep this simple and clique, don't be stupid and try anything original"
2 hours later..... a white board filled with cliche Star Wars ideas fill the white board before them.
Turning to the type of screen writers that probably pass at a level for a episode of Mrs Brown Boys they are instructed just to get all that junk off the white board into a screen play.
About two days later it is ready.
Star Wars continues....................
<insert cool story bro meme here>

With regards to your first paragraph, I do still disagree there. Obi-Wan made sure Luke was watching when he struck him down. That was to ensure his path to the Jedi began. I realise now 40 years later that you could maybe interpret it differently, but back in that time it was the only purpose of his death. Otherwise we wouldn't have got the Luke that took out the Death Star. That's how I'll remain to see it anyway.

Your second paragraph I do agree with; there are years of story for Obi-Wan after Anakin's turn to the Dark Side.

A screenwriter's dream writing that new Obi-Wan series. A plethora of possibilities to follow.

With regards to your first paragraph, I do still disagree there. Obi-Wan made sure Luke was watching when he struck him down. That was to ensure his path to the Jedi began. I realise now 40 years later that you could maybe interpret it differently, but back in that time it was the only purpose of his death. Otherwise we wouldn't have got the Luke that took out the Death Star. That's how I'll remain to see it anyway.

Your second paragraph I do agree with; there are years of story for Obi-Wan after Anakin's turn to the Dark Side.

A screenwriter's dream writing that new Obi-Wan series. A plethora of possibilities to follow.
I don't disagree with your first paragraph - he sacrificed himself to save Luke but made sure Luke saw for sure. Luke still didn't understand in his immediate grief but then almost immediately he hears Obi-Wan so he was definitely learning on the job so to speak. But the sacrifice was also a message to Vader - note how Vader taps on the robe with his foot, clearly not understanding what had happened to his former master at the apparent moment of his death. And that goes back to my point - he's demonstrating to Vader that he only understands the force from the dark side point of view (a certain point of view you might say!) and doesn't understand the power of the Jedi and how powerful Obi-Wan has become. I think Lucas definitely planned that and the meaning behind it.

I don't disagree with your first paragraph - he sacrificed himself to save Luke but made sure Luke saw for sure. Luke still didn't understand in his immediate grief but then almost immediately he hears Obi-Wan so he was definitely learning on the job so to speak. But the sacrifice was also a message to Vader - note how Vader taps on the robe with his foot, clearly not understanding what had happened to his former master at the apparent moment of his death. And that goes back to my point - he's demonstrating to Vader that he only understands the force from the dark side point of view (a certain point of view you might say!) and doesn't understand the power of the Jedi and how powerful Obi-Wan has become. I think Lucas definitely planned that and the meaning behind it.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it needs to be seen as complex as that.

At that point of the saga we knew nothing really of how the force worked. After we had the prequels I think you can attach more meaning to that scene, as we knew how Vader came about. And his history with Obi-Wan.

But in 1977 there was nothing else, and Obi-Wan's words were merely an indicator of how striking him down at that point would energise Luke onto the path to becoming a Jedi.

Not anything to do with becoming a Force Ghost and wielding power as one. But being powerful as a mentor to Luke.

We didn't see a Force Ghost till Empire Strikes Back, and even as one in that film Obi-Wan is fearful of the Dark Side winning out. Hence his worrying words to Yoda when Luke fails to complete the training. Obi-Wan doesn't come across as being powerful as a ghost in that film.

I only just got around to seeing this last night as unfortunately I had to miss the original planned viewing. I really enjoyed it and felt completely different walking out of the cinema than I did after The Last Jedi. I'll probably take the time to trawl through all of the spoilers in this thread now and then go and see it again, on a better screen though this time as the one last night was pretty poor to be honest.

and someone that does not drink alcohol?

can i have a none alcohol martini please? shaken and not stirred?

A bloke comes up to me in work while I was eating chicken sandwiches and says "are you not doing Veganuary?". I'm like what? You want me to vegan in January, and I have a "Dry January" advocate the other side of me.
**** off, my birthdays in January (today actually)! Not going to ruin that because of you virtue signallers!
Grrr.
Anyway back on topic..

A bloke comes up to me in work while I was eating chicken sandwiches and says "are you not doing Veganuary?". I'm like what? You want me to vegan in January, and I have a "Dry January" advocate the other side of me.
**** off, my birthdays in January (today actually)! Not going to ruin that because of you virtue signallers!
Grrr.
Anyway back on topic..
Well said, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🍾🍾🍻🍻

And for your Annoying Vegan advocate workmate, I donate them this
🥩

Grrr.
Anyway back on topic..
Happy birthday!!!

Going on a vegan diet is actually more expensive to maintain

Well, I knew it started with a montage, I just didn't expect it to last for ninety minutes!

Loved the last hour though.

Finally caved and went to see how it all ends, and I have to say it wasn't quite the total disaster I was expecting . As a visual experience it was good and I liked the chemistry between Rey and Kylo, both grew on me as the trilogy progressed. I know they did the best they could with Leia due to circumstance, but she just looked off and her scenes were distracting. Overall tho it was mainly just laugh along fan service with too much crammed in and too many plot devices just to get to the foreseeable ending. A poor film with few highlights and too many groans but I saw it and thankfully, for Star Wars it's all over now. 4/10.

3rd time for me tonight. Just find it really really entertaining. Can’t say much more than that.

At least I didn't walk out but it's been a poor trilogy imo, I'll always have Rogue One tho.

As it was the final film in a two movie trilogy it did have a lot to fix before it got started.

My main gripe. Why oh why did it take so long to get Richard E Grant into a Star Wars movie? He was perfect!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom