thrawn4000

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I have watched the 4K Blu Ray versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I noticed some audio issues such as the audio cutting out or getting distorted in various points of the films. As far as I can tell I was not having playback issues with either my 4K disc player or the discs themselves. I purchased a second copy of one of the movies and it appeared that the audio issue occurred at roughly the same point. I suspect that the audio issues are studio related since I understand there were difficulties getting these older films transferred for 4K release. However, I could not find any confirmation about the audio issues on the Internet from review articles about the films.

I do not have the exact points in the films that I can list, but I will provide as best as I can the rough points where I noticed the audio issues.

A New Hope:

- During one of the Death Star trench run scenes toward the end of the film, it appeared the audio was briefly cut out.

The Empire Strikes Back:

- During the portion of the film from when the Luke vs Vader lightsaber duel in Cloud City starts up to the point shortly after Vader exits his shuttle on his command ship after his return from Cloud City, it appeared that the audio at some points was either out of sync or distorted (I am sorry I am not an expert on audio terminology).

Return of the Jedi:

-During the opening crawl, there is possibly a little audio distortion. In the Ewok village scene where Luke, Han, and Chewie are hung over the fire, when Luke tells C3PO to use his magic before C3PO is shown floating in the air, the audio appears to briefly cut out. Lastly, as the film transitions from the ending celebration scene to the end credits, it sounded like the audio was slightly distorted, but I am not sure.

Also, I may have caught a possible issue in one of the sequel films.

The Rise of Skywalker:

The image possibly briefly blacks out when the Emperor begins shooting lightning into the spacecraft battle above his fortress.

My only other question is about studios transferring films to digital media disks like DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K Blu Ray. Over the roughly 20 years that I have watched films on disk, I noticed during playback on a few films that the image briefly freezes, the image has digital pixelation artifacts, or the image briefly blacks out. I did not notice any playback issues during those moments and the movies continued as normal. Would I be correct in assuming that some of these films will have glitches or errors, like the ones I just mentioned, from their transfer processes from film or whatever media they are stored on to their digital platform destinations such as DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K Blu Ray due to reasons such as technology limitations or issues with equipment involved with the transfers?

I suspect that there may have been slipups by Disney or Lucasfilm during the audio mix for the films' 4K transition, but I would like to get confirmation that this is or is not the case.

Thanks in advance.

definitely not the case, the audio on these discs have been scrutinised unlike any other soundtrack in the galaxy and there would have been a shout of recall if there was even a slightest blip, i can't think what you are hearing in the OT but the cut out in rise is 100% intentional

Hi:

I have watched the 4K Blu Ray versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I noticed some audio issues such as the audio cutting out or getting distorted in various points of the films. As far as I can tell I was not having playback issues with either my 4K disc player or the discs themselves. I purchased a second copy of one of the movies and it appeared that the audio issue occurred at roughly the same point. I suspect that the audio issues are studio related since I understand there were difficulties getting these older films transferred for 4K release. However, I could not find any confirmation about the audio issues on the Internet from review articles about the films.

I do not have the exact points in the films that I can list, but I will provide as best as I can the rough points where I noticed the audio issues.

A New Hope:

- During one of the Death Star trench run scenes toward the end of the film, it appeared the audio was briefly cut out.

The Empire Strikes Back:

- During the portion of the film from when the Luke vs Vader lightsaber duel in Cloud City starts up to the point shortly after Vader exits his shuttle on his command ship after his return from Cloud City, it appeared that the audio at some points was either out of sync or distorted (I am sorry I am not an expert on audio terminology).

Return of the Jedi:

-During the opening crawl, there is possibly a little audio distortion. In the Ewok village scene where Luke, Han, and Chewie are hung over the fire, when Luke tells C3PO to use his magic before C3PO is shown floating in the air, the audio appears to briefly cut out. Lastly, as the film transitions from the ending celebration scene to the end credits, it sounded like the audio was slightly distorted, but I am not sure.

Also, I may have caught a possible issue in one of the sequel films.

The Rise of Skywalker:

The image possibly briefly blacks out when the Emperor begins shooting lightning into the spacecraft battle above his fortress.

My only other question is about studios transferring films to digital media disks like DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K Blu Ray. Over the roughly 20 years that I have watched films on disk, I noticed during playback on a few films that the image briefly freezes, the image has digital pixelation artifacts, or the image briefly blacks out. I did not notice any playback issues during those moments and the movies continued as normal. Would I be correct in assuming that some of these films will have glitches or errors, like the ones I just mentioned, from their transfer processes from film or whatever media they are stored on to their digital platform destinations such as DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K Blu Ray due to reasons such as technology limitations or issues with equipment involved with the transfers?

I suspect that there may have been slipups by Disney or Lucasfilm during the audio mix for the films' 4K transition, but I would like to get confirmation that this is or is not the case.

Thanks in advance.
Are there any scratches on the disc, no matter how minor?

The reviews I saw on Amazon of the boxset said that the cardboard sleeves can scratch the discs. So even if you have been careful, they might have been damaged.

I did have the Skywalker Saga Box set, but returned it after several of the discs had playback issues. I instead purchased the individual box sets and noticed in the original films that the audio playback was also messed up.

Last edited:
As others have said these discs have been thoroughly examined across multiple forums/sites so I would say any issues you are experiencing are a player/setup issue and not a fault with the discs.

I just bought the Star Wars: A New Hope 4K release, and can confirm that I had the exact same issue with the Death Star Trench Run audio drop out. I checked the disc, tried the audio on different devices, returned the disc for a replacement, and have the same issue. This is is a bit of a joke. Hate to complain, but "I don't have an issue" comments, are not helpful here. Maybe it's my 4K player, but at the price it cost, and it's been updated, I really don't think it is the issue. So what gives? Is this a manufacturing error? I've had it on 2 discs so far, so I ain't cracking up. Neither is thrawn4000. Is it worth reaching out to the manufacturer?

Are these the only discs you have issues with? If not it may be an HDMI cable problem. Have you tried swapping out the HDMI cable? You don't mention an AV receiver, if you have one you may want to put the HDMI cable in the TV directly. I say this as I kept having dropouts for sound on various discs and I tried everything, it turned out to be an HDMI cable from the AV REceiver to the TV.

Are these the only discs you have issues with? If not it may be an HDMI cable problem. Have you tried swapping out the HDMI cable? You don't mention an AV receiver, if you have one you may want to put the HDMI cable in the TV directly. I say this as I kept having dropouts for sound on various discs and I tried everything, it turned out to be an HDMI cable from the AV REceiver to the TV.
I've not notced any of other of thrawn4000's issues, other than the one 5 second bit of trench run dialogue cutting out when Gold Five says, "Stabilize your rear deflectors..." and nothing comes out of his mouth, then followed by, "Watch for enemy fighters". Exactly the same on both discs I've tested. I have no issues on any other blurays I own. I have Sonos speakers, but switched to the tv atmos speakers as a test, no change. I suspect switching out the HDMI will have no effect. I'm planning on reaching out to the manufacturer, to see what they say, but will try some other test, and keep you up to date. If this is a disc issue, then I'll be pretty disappointed considering others here stating, this audio has been scrutinised over the years. Yes, but that doesn't mean the manufacturer can't make disc errors. There may be a bad batch of these kicking about, and no ones report it, as they ain't paid enough attention to a missing 5 sec bit of audio.

I have a Samsung 8500 and it isn't a very good disc player with drop outs often happening.
Take the same disc and put it into my Panasonic and it plays perfect.

The Samsung is one hell of a media player though the Panasonic isn't.

I've not notced any of other of thrawn4000's issues, other than the one 5 second bit of trench run dialogue cutting out when Gold Five says, "Stabilize your rear deflectors..." and nothing comes out of his mouth, then followed by, "Watch for enemy fighters". Exactly the same on both discs I've tested. I have no issues on any other blurays I own. I have Sonos speakers, but switched to the tv atmos speakers as a test, no change. I suspect switching out the HDMI will have no effect. I'm planning on reaching out to the manufacturer, to see what they say, but will try some other test, and keep you up to date. If this is a disc issue, then I'll be pretty disappointed considering others here stating, this audio has been scrutinised over the years. Yes, but that doesn't mean the manufacturer can't make disc errors. There may be a bad batch of these kicking about, and no ones report it, as they ain't paid enough attention to a missing 5 sec bit of audio.
Just had the exact same issue in precisely the same spot. Playing on a Panasonic DP-UB820 on an LG CX. No issues on the dozens of other 4k movies I've played.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom