Star Wars: The Force Awakens (17 Dec 2015) - Discussion Thread

How did you rate this film?

• Total voters
Family of 5 at Imax £69?

US premiere today, so the Force will be strong with spoilers.

I'm going on Friday at 8pm, so might have to go on media blackout from tomorrow.

Just a mod note to everyone as we near and go past the release date.

PLEASE be extra careful when posting about the film and to make sure everything that needs to be 'spoilered' out is.

I'm seeing the film on Saturday and will try to take out any spoilers if they are posted accidentally, but I'm not omnipresent. If you see a spoiler, please report the post straight away and I or Garrett will try and get on it asap.

Saturday for me and in going to do all that is possible to avoid any spoilers. My Xmas do on Thursday, hers on Friday so no chance of seeing it before Saturday

Just a mod note to everyone as we near and go past the release date.

PLEASE be extra careful when posting about the film and to make sure everything that needs to be 'spoilered' out is.

I'm seeing the film on Saturday and will try to take out any spoilers if they are posted accidentally, but I'm not omnipresent. If you see a spoiler, please report the post straight away and I or Garrett will try and get on it asap.
Good luck, I'm going off thread, see everyone on the other (dark) side

I've already seen one potential spoiler (not in here I might add). Going to be difficult to avoid them I fear. I've turned off my news feeds and will be exciting this thread until Friday. Good luck everybody, see you on the otherwise

I'm seeing this Sunday. Going to try with all my will power to avoid the internet but I am a weak man:(

Just had to close my eyes and stick fingers in my ears as an advert came on and instantly I knew what it was, out tomorrow and Wednesday I really need to avoid TV and social media.

Just booked my ticket at my local Liemax ( Showcase, Bluewater ) for 10am Thursday. Shift working does sometimes have its benefits.

3 reviews up on IMDB at the moment are all very positive and contain zero plot spoilers. One of them looks like it's from a fanboy who hasn't actually seen the film yet though.

My local Showcase has a 9am showing, but I'm going to the 12pm showing as it's my day off this week.

Wanted to do a proper family day out for it with the boys so going to Leicester Square Imax (never been there but looking forward to a proper big screen) but for 4 of us to get half decent seats I had to wait until Sunday........ Going to be even harder not to find out too much after Thursday!

Have taken a chance a bought a ticket for the 00.01. Screening in 2D at Inverness Vue. Relying on our last vehicle getting up from Glasgow and unloading in quick time. Not normally finished before 00.30 but pulling a few strings and relying on trailers to get me there. If it looks like I'll miss even a few minutes I'll bin it and wait. Everything crossed that doesn't have to happen though. I've already gone dark on Facebook and Twitter and this is probably the last time I'll check in on this thread. See you on the other side!

Dont forget what happened with Spectre which started with overwhelming positive reviews at around 95% only to slump very quickly (and justifiably, i will add) to 64%.

Soak up the atmosphere and the vibe and enjoy a new star wars that will surely deliver the traits we love about star wars just as Spectre did but dont expect it to be your favourite. For me, it doesnt have to be anywhere near the top half of my favourite star wars movies or even closr to the bottom, it just has to be star wars and I will be happy and enjoy sharing the experience with other star wars fans .

I dont care for critics reviews before seeing a film because all too often I end up disagreeing.

Having said all of that fairly taperer words, I cant bloody wait to don my force awakens jacket and wade into the midnight show tomorrow...to top it off, just before that i will also be viewing galaxies far far away through my telescope at a stargaze party in Regents Park which is free to all of the public. We gather once a month so you are all most welcome to come. If its cloudy, then sadly our telescopes will be a bit useless but as its Christmas the hosts are also doing a raffle for many prizes including a telescope. There will be mulled wine and pies. If you do come, everyone knows me as Tej if you looking for me :) details here if you like to come.

The Baker Street Irregular Astronomers

Have an awesome viewing of Star Wars and may the force be with you all!

Last edited:
The difference this time round is the CGI over TPM is way better by default.
The original cast are in it.
Picture and Audio quality are now maxed out. PQ and CGI in TPM are well dodgy.
Imax scenes in SW for the first time.
JJ Abrams at the top of his game.

Even if the Story sucked we're still in for a treat no matter what.

Fan Reaction To Phantom Menace :D

Not sure if you posted that with sarcasm or as a point towards the haters but eirher way, Im glad you posted that, well done :) I was one of them with the same reaction but not the last one, lol (poor fella i do feel bad for him!). I knew it was not the best but it was still star wars and I was swept away with the awesome visuals and very captivated with a new strangely unstarwars like storyline that Lucas was narrating. I had gone all the way to new york to watch this and while in New York i had seen the amazing Matrix before Phantom and wondered if Matrix will end up being the better film! For some it did, but not for me, phantom delivered enough to make my New York holiday an all round blast :) I do really feel sorry for the fans that were disappointed especially the ones that took it really hard. I understand that feeling from my first ever cinematic disappointment, Gremlins 2! And more recently films like The Hobbit, Spectre and Guardians of the Galaxy because I dropped my guard and allowed myself to raise too high expectations of those movies. In fact, I now love the Hobbit films upon repeat viewings despite their major flaws.

Not sure if you posted that with sarcasm or as a point towards the haters but eirher way, Im glad you posted that, well done :) I was one of them with the same reaction but not the last one, lol (poor fella i do feel bad for him!). I knew it was not the best but it was still star wars and I was swept away with the awesome visuals and very captivated with a new strangely unstarwars like storyline that Lucas was narrating. I had gone all the way to new york to watch this and while in New York i had seen the amazing Matrix before Phantom and wondered if Matrix will end up being the better film! For some it did, but not for me, phantom delivered enough to make my New York holiday an all round blast :) I do really feel sorry for the fans that were disappointed especially the ones that took it really hard. I understand that feeling from my first ever cinematic disappointment, Gremlins 2! And more recently films like The Hobbit, Spectre and Guardians of the Galaxy because I dropped my guard and allowed myself to raise too high expectations of those movies. In fact, I now love the Hobbit films upon repeat viewings despite their major flaws.
I just posted it to sort of say, wait, don't listen to the hype, make your own mind up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom