Question Step Down Transformers for HiFi Systems

asmadeus

Novice Member
Reaction score
My question is very simple. I'm moving from US to UK and having an obvious dilemma about some of my equipment in terms of its electrical compatibility (240V 50Hz vs 120V 60Hz). Do I just sell my entire setup or will a step-down transformer work without damaging my system or introducing any electrical distortion.

Also, my entire system is currently chained through the Furman Elite 15 DMi Power Conditioner:
Amazon.com: Furman Elite-15 DM i 13-Outlet Linear Filtering AC Power Source: Home Audio & Theater

So it is possible for me to get the step-down transformer JUST for the power conditioner and the rest should just work?

Perhaps I can just get something like this:
Use American electriacal appilances in Britain

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What equipment do you have ?
Have you check to see if the onboard power supply is able to switch between the 2 voltages?

I suspect many pieces of equipment have a switch to select between 240v and 120v.

Then you have to weight the weight of the equipment. What is it going to cost you to ship it to the new destination? Remembering that you can recover some money by selling the existing equipment, assuming you have enough time to do so.

Also, consider that even with massive VAT Tax (sales tax), many Audio products are relatively cheap in the UK market. In the USA, for example, the Yamaha AS501 is about $550, in the UK it has been as low as US$280. Or at the exchange rate when that calculation was made.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Thank you for your answers. I have a few clarifications. I've got a few pieces of equipment, and unfortunately, none of them can switch between 240v and 120v, so, the electricity has to match. I have a pair of Cambridge Audio Azur 851 Amp + CD Player / DAC.

The shipping and moving are all taken care of (paid by my company) so I'm not worried about that cost. Would just rather keep the equipment to avoid the hassle of sale - the only upside is a possible upgrade when I get to the UK.

Worth checking with CA to see if the on board transformers will happily handle our 50Hz supply as they are built for 60Hz

Cambridges is a UK company, I'm pretty sure the systems can be made to work in the UK.

Just for reference, here are the prices in the UK -

Cambridge Audio AZUR 851A Integrated Amp - £1199 (US$1500) -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 851ABlack Stereo Amplifier

Keeping in mind that exchange rates are very volatile right now.

Cambridge Audio AZUR 851C CD Player - £1199 (US$1500) -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 851CSilver Upsampling CD Player/DAC/Pre-Amp

If the transformer can't be internally switched, then it can probably be exchanged.

List price for the above in the US is $1850.

Contact Cambridge to determine how difficult it is to convert the devices to work in the UK.

Contact | Cambridge Audio

London
Cambridge Audio
Gallery Court
Hankey Place
London
SE1 4BB
United Kingdom

Email: [email protected] Tel: +44 20 79402200

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom