Question stereo -> 7.1 or 5.1.2 with AV for 2k upgrade (....I wish I was an audiophile)

bull

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

My first post here.... OK, I like decent music equipment. I wish I was an audiophile, but I am not. I still appreciate the immersive experience that sound system gives you with amazing movie. I own a good stereo system, but I realized that I actually love watching movies + my current amp is neutral for music so not that aggressive in movies.
It is usally very expensive step so do you guys want to have a look and let me know what you think?

Currently own stereo:
- KEF LS50 (2 stereo fronts)
- amplifier: Atoll in 100
- subwoofer: REL T5
Room dimmesnsions: 4.85m x 3.40m [15.9ft x 11.1ft]

I want to switch to 5.1.2 or 7.1. My budget with AV around 2k. My room setup is not the best specially for 7.1 (can't move that couch :| ) so that's why I want to use fx spekaers.
I really like Monitor Audio speakers so my idea would be

a) Monitor Audio Bronze setup
- MAB5 front
- MAB FX on sidewall (due to a small size of room and couch on a back wall so no space behind)
- MAB center
- keep my REL T5 sub
- C265 celling for 5.1.2 or MAB FX at the back for 7.1

b) I am not sure about this one, but maybe silver line with LS50
- keep LS50s at front
- MAS FX
- MAS Center
- keep my REL T5 sub
- C265 celling for 5.1.2 or MAS FX at the back for 7.1

both options with Denon AVR-X4400H (once x4500 is relased and hopefully this one will go down in price a little bit ;) ) I also like the fact that I can extent 4400 in a fture to 5.1.4 if needed

Now, I know I am compering aplles with oranges when I ask to keep LS50s at front with rest of th MAS set up but I was wondering if anyone tried that? Keeping my LS50s will keep the cost down and they are a very good speakers. Has anyone used LS50 with Monitor Audio as fronts?
My sitting positions are very close the the back and one side wall so can't use LS50s as surround.

Other questions:
1) Monitor Audio silver fx is almost double the cost of MAB FX, I couldn't find any real comparison with this 2 speakers, are they worth it?
2) I think the most important speaker for movies is the center speaker. Is MAS center c150 a real improvement over the MAB?
3) I am almost convinced 5.1.2 will be better then 7.1 but I was wondering if any of you tried 7.1 with smaller room and fx speakers and you noticed an improvement?

My room:
main_view.png

Top view:
top_view.png

Perspective:
perspective.png

Last edited:
The right corner placement doesn`t look ideal, but if that`s the best you can do there.. . If you like LS50, by all means keep those and add third for the centre (you can put it horizontal), having 3 of same model at front stage would be superb scenario https://www.*/kef-ls50-single-monitor-speaker.html

@dollag is going for 5.1 LS50 setup and currently has one as center channel!

7.1 won`t add much if anything as you would sit so close to those. 5.1.2 is more ideal! If you go with MA ceiling speakers the IDC version might be better choice; Getting started with Dolby Atmos | Blog | Monitor Audio

X4500H is already listed with the juicy price of 1500£. X4400H shouldn`t drop anymore from 799£ what i remember last years prices. Also you get 5year warranty from PT (2years normally) if bought before end of August.
Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2 Channel AV Surround Receiver
Denon AVR-X4400H

David @the little audio company has some experience with KEF front stage with MA FX speakers if i remember correct. (working at the earlier hifi shop)

REL T5 would be little too small for my taste as a HT sub, but it really depends what you want to achieve there. If looking "room shaking" bass look further, if not keep T5.

Edit. link doesn`t work, Quantum AV sells LS50 as each (400£).

Agree with Gasp. Your room and seating is best suited to a 5.1.2. The LS50s are cracking speakers and buying a just another one will give you a beautiful front soundstage. Nothing wrong with keeping the T5, I've got one and it's music quality stands out, bit lightweight for HT but certainly doesn't need replacing immediately.

As above, If your happy with the LS50's then get a third one and keep the LCR the same. I have no experience mixing the front and rears with MA but @the little audio company may offer some advice.

One thing I will say about the LS50's are that they are hungry for power. If you do go for the 3 across the front, I'd consider getting additional amplification. It's not 100% needed but to get them to their optimum (if you listen at reference levels) it will make a difference.

Another option is you could always swap out for MA silvers or gold to keep matching.

In your size room, I'd say you need a 12 inch sub at the very least and ideally 2 :) The rel is a lovely sub but will struggle to fill your room.

If you want to keep the sub for music duties too, I'd look at some sealed BK subs (p12-300sb) can be picked up for £300 new each and imo cannot be touched at that price point.

xls400 is a ported model and again can be had for good money

Another one here telling you to keep the LS50 and add another one as centre.

As for sub, I would also suggest something else... For such a room, I back up the BK suggestions, and it won't break the bank. (Just a correction @dollag , th XXLS400 is not ported, it's a sealled design.)

Another one here telling you to keep the LS50 and add another one as centre.

As for sub, I would also suggest something else... For such a room, I back up the BK suggestions, and it won't break the bank. (Just a correction @dollag , th XXLS400 is not ported, it's a sealled design.)

oh damn my bad??

Was sure it was?? what am I confused with? the monoliths are right?

Layout - if possible slide everything (inc the sofa) to the screen left to allow you to pull the Front R speaker out of the corner.

Front LCR - as everyone else says you ideally want three of the same loudspeaker, all set at the same height and if possible keep them all in a vertical orientation.

Immersive - I too would go with 5.1.2 rather than 7.1.

Small steps - if your indicated budget is going to be an issue plan, wire and build towards 5.1.2 and arrive there in stages.

Joe

Thank you @Gasp3621 @gibbsy @dollag @miguelbarroso @Joe Fernand ! I feel much better spending my entire salary now ;) .
Will keep the LS50s and swap sub for p12-300sb

@Gasp3621 : Thanks for the tip with Denon! They don't sned to ireland but should be able to get over it with Parcel Motel :|

@Joe Fernand : That was my plan to set up a 5.1 now and extend to Atmos in coming months. I am fortunate enough to be stuck with mortgage but hey, I can at least drill any hole I want ;)

My seller was trying to convince me to go with Monitor Audio Bronze Center C150 as it is dedicated center speaker. It would be similar price then single KEF LS50 but based on your advice I will stick with LS50

Thanks guys!

oh damn my bad??

Was sure it was?? what am I confused with? the monoliths are right?

Yep Mono is! XXLS400 is basically almost same as your P12-300SB. Same size cabinet, different 12" driver and different amp (300w vs. 400w rms).

Will keep the LS50s and swap sub for p12-300sb

My seller was trying to convince me to go with Monitor Audio Bronze Center C150 as it is dedicated center speaker. It would be similar price then single KEF LS50 but based on your advice I will stick with LS50

If not tight with budget, think about the same size P12-300SB-PR . It should have edge when it comes to low frequency stuff with movies and greater overall output. I think you could be more pleased with it.

Platinum P12300-SB

OK, I have to ask!
I love my LS50s. they are great for music but for movies they were lacking of bass. That is why I added REL t5 years ago and that helped, I want switching it for 12' as p12-300sb or maybe P12-300SB-PR but I still wonder about a central speaker.

Would Monitr Audio Silver Central C150 not be better for a central then 3rd LS50? I am asking becasue it has wider Frequency Response and I know this is mainly a speach frequency and I will be supported by bigger sub but still want the best quality from the center.

This is one of the situations where I have everything in basket but start to wonder before I click BUY! ;)

ps. This will be a total NOOB question but I simply don't know this : is Denon smart enough to utilize Atmos spekers as additional surround even if the video signal has only 5.1 chanels or they stey silent until you use vide with acual Atmos encoding ?

dedicated or not, the Kef's uniQ delivers a single point source of the sound.
OK, I have to ask!
I love my LS50s. they are great for music but for movies they were lacking of bass. That is why I added REL t5 years ago and that helped, I want switching it for 12' as p12-300sb or maybe P12-300SB-PR but I still wonder about a central speaker.

Would Monitr Audio Silver Central C150 not be better for a central then 3rd LS50? I am asking becasue it has wider Frequency Response and I know this is mainly a speach frequency and I will be supported by bigger sub but still want the best quality from the center.

This is one of the situations where I have everything in basket but start to wonder before I click BUY! ;)

ps. This will be a total NOOB question but I simply don't know this : is Denon smart enough to utilize Atmos spekers as additional surround even if the video signal has only 5.1 chanels or they stey silent until you use vide with acual Atmos encoding ?

The LS50 has uniQ drivers that provide a single point source of sound and immerse the front soundstage across the LCR. It will blow the Ma out the water for clarity. AVR's normally crossover the centre at 80hz so the frequency response is irrelevant

Yep it can upscale standard 5.1 to 5.1.2 and does it very well too.

No it wouldn`t be better! It`s from different manufacturer and mixing different front three, well some guys do it but it might be too noticeable when the sounds are moving from one side to another. If you want horizontal center one option would be to have R200c which many KEF owners have done with LS50, but if it would be my money i would always use same speaker all around cause it has certain advantages and most of people who has gone this route, won`t ever come back from it!

Notice that in most cases those typical horizontal MTM centers are compromised. The MA C150 is designed little bit better as it`s 2.5way but still it isn`t perfect. Typically if you turn bookshelf horizontal the tweeter should be turned aswell (depending of speaker), but the UniQ driver LS50 enables you to do this without problems as it has coaxial driver.

Please read this;Seymour AV | Center Best Practice

Your system won`t lack bass if you add the P12 PR or two (future). There is so many models to choose from and at the end of day it depends what kind performance you are after. It`s safe to say if you watch lot of blockbusters where the LFE channel is in heavy use, then you will need more capable subwoofer, especially the louder you push your system.

I feel much better spending my entire salary now ;) .

Thanks guys!

Don't mention it.:smashin:

I've spent my son's inheritance, I just haven't told him.:)

Keep the front three as LS50s, don't mix and match manufacturers and models.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom