Streaming 4K lossless MKV files from NAS: Ethernet on 9005 too slow!

nicolaidenmark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed that I'm only getting a max of 60 mbits download from my XE9005 both on WIFI (which is not working post Oreo Update) and Ethernet port. This is insufficient speed for streaming lossless 4K MKV which, as listed by Plex, requires around 130 mbit of through put.

How do I go about this? Will a USB to gigabit ethernet adapter plugged into my XE9005 through USB 3.0 solve this or will the speed still be limited by the processing / CPU power of the TV?

Alternatively, do I get an Nvidia Shield or similar (wired to my router / local LAN? will an external player have enough juice to seamlessly stream 4K files? Also, my material is stored on NAS, hence, the ability to connect player to NAS and my Plex account and library is paramount.
I have a set of power lines installed and as per utility app, the "sending" device is putting through anywhere from 130-27x mbits. I have yet to test the actual throughput on the receiving end though.

Also, if the receiving unit is not putting through enough speed, I might need a new router as I've run out of LAN ports (DUH). Do I get a new rouiter or just a switch? Current router is Asus RT-AC68U.

Thanks,

Last edited:
im having the same issue. I think I will just connect a PC and be done with it. I also have a NETBOX A3 which I might try. I really don't know why manufacturers skimp on the ethernet, they probably saved all of £2 per TV.

Hi all,

I have noticed that I'm only getting a max of 60 mbits download from my XE9005 both on WIFI (which is not working post Oreo Update) and Ethernet port. This is insufficient speed for streaming lossless 4K MKV which, as listed by Plex, requires around 130 mbit of through put.

How do I go about this? Will a USB to gigabit ethernet adapter plugged into my XE9005 through USB 3.0 solve this or will the speed still be limited by the processing / CPU power of the TV?

Alternatively, do I get an Nvidia Shield or similar (wired to my router / local LAN? will an external player have enough juice to seamlessly stream 4K files? Also, my material is stored on NAS, hence, the ability to connect player to NAS and my Plex account and library is paramount.
I have a set of power lines installed and as per utility app, the "sending" device is putting through anywhere from 130-27x mbits. I have yet to test the actual throughput on the receiving end though.

Also, if the receiving unit is not putting through enough speed, I might need a new router as I've run out of LAN ports (DUH). Do I get a new rouiter or just a switch? Current router is Asus RT-AC68U.

Thanks,

Have you tested speed from powerline, plug a laptop in and run speed test to ascertain the speed your getting.

Do the same on wireless, this will confirm if if issue powerline or your router signal having interference.

Whilst not. Streaming 4k rips, my xe9005 gets close to 100mbs but is connected directly to a gig switch in TV unit, connected to a cat5 wallplate in wall to another gig switch connected to router at other end.
My nas connects to gig switch.

I take it your router has gig ports?
Are the port lights green or Amber on router?

In answer to your question re running out of ports, connect a switch to your router.

I have 3 switches connected to my router and you will not experience any speed hit as long as you use decent gb switches like net gear ones. Along with cat 5e cable.

Does your nas support plex 4k streaming?

This post has a link to what devices support it.
Question - Problems with Plex buffering when streaming "some" 4K

Last edited:
think the problem is the TV has a 10/100 lan and some files i stream are either 23gb or as much as 78gb. some files will play ok some the sound stutters and picture lags.

10/100 gets you about 12MB/s (96Mbps). That tallies with what Morden posted above.

think the problem is the TV has a 10/100 lan and some files i stream are either 23gb or as much as 78gb. some files will play ok some the sound stutters and picture lags.

I normally always advocate hard wired connections, but in this case the ethernet port speeds are you limiting factor. What is the possibility of trying to use a 5Ghz wifi connection fro your TV to your router? If your pc/nas/whatever box is connected to your router with gigabit speeds, and the TV can connect to the router via 5Ghz wifi at up to 887 Mbps, perhaps you might be able to achieve the throughput you need?

Sometimes stuttering etc. isn't down to net speed, it could be due to the format the video is in. I've found H264 requires less processing power to play back than H265, for example. So on my low powered HTPC I get better results with H264.

I don't know about lossless streams - I guess they ought to be less work, if the device supports them properly?

Sometimes stuttering etc. isn't down to net speed, it could be due to the format the video is in. I've found H264 requires less processing power to play back than H265, for example. So on my low powered HTPC I get better results with H264.

I don't know about lossless streams - I guess they ought to be less work, if the device supports them properly?

cheers will check the 2 files. they should both be H265 I would have thought to allow HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom