Question Streaming differences.

Mojojo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have just upgraded my tv to a Samsung QE55Q85R
and I'm wondering if it will make any difference if I stream Netflix, Disney+, Amazin prime, bbc Iplayer etc straight from the tv, via Samsungs inbuilt apps or would my xbox one x or Nvidia shield be better. Would one have better picture quality or better for updates for example.

I've never noticed a difference between my Sony or my Shield TV for quality, but the Shield does have an issue with framerate apparently for Netflix, I'm one of the people that don't notice it, not everyone does. I believe the newer version of the Shield has fixed it.

Eventually, you'll find your TV will most likely fall out of the support network for updates to Youtube or Netflix etc as they launch new features or alter codecs etc and there's where the Shield will come in especially.

I've never noticed a difference between my Sony or my Shield TV for quality, but the Shield does have an issue with framerate apparently for Netflix, I'm one of the people that don't notice it, not everyone does. I believe the newer version of the Shield has fixed it.

Eventually, you'll find your TV will most likely fall out of the support network for updates to Youtube or Netflix etc as they launch new features or alter codecs etc and there's where the Shield will come in especially.

Thanks for your input I know the Shield is great for updates. Interesting about the framerate issue I have a 2018 shield so I will have to see if I notice anything.

You have all 3 by the sounds of it so why not just try them and see which you prefer.

I will eventually try all 3 but just wanted any info to help guide to the best device or anything specific to look out for.

So Netflix and Disney plus are in 4K and HDR via Xbox one X. They are not in HDR on Sky Q making Xbox one X my default choice.

I'm a neanderthal with only a Full HD ZT plasma anyway, so the Roku Streaming Stick+ is plenty for me. It's certainly miles better than the Firestick - I still have one of those upstairs and it's painfully slow.

I'm a neanderthal with only a Full HD ZT plasma anyway, so the Roku Streaming Stick+ is plenty for me. It's certainly miles better than the Firestick - I still have one of those upstairs and it's painfully slow.
I've got 2 firesticks a 1080p one and a 4k HDR one on my main TV and both of them and very fast and have never had any issues with them.

I've an Android 4k Sony TV, Firestick 4K, and PS4 Pro 4k.

I like the fact that the android systems on the TV and Firestick means I can sideload apps. Picture and response are great. The Amazon heavy system on the Firestick is a PITA though - I wish it could be hacked to have a simple Android interface that just ran apps, not adverts.

One good thing is that Amazon have reinstated the ability to filter for Prime only, rather than thinking "Oooh I'll watch that," only to find you have to pay again as it is premium content.

The PS4 Pro is great for picture quality, but I have noticed a few framerate glitches at times on Disney+

i Miss my ZT! in lots of ways the pic is better than most 4k tv's! i ruined mine by gaming too much and had to replace it with the DX902 at least you still have 3D

i Miss my ZT! in lots of ways the pic is better than most 4k tv's! i ruined mine by gaming too much and had to replace it with the DX902 at least you still have 3D
Honestly, 4K just isn't a thing I need, nor really want. PQ is still thankfully great and we only watch movies / series so IR / burn in is not an issue. I think I can count the number of times we've watched 3D on two hands... but yes, at least it's still an option!
I honestly don't know why our Firesticks are so slow, it doesn't make sense but this is the truth. Zero issues with Roku, and being able to have everything on one device that can be moved between TVs etc is just so easy - and it integrates perfectly fine with the Harmony.

I have just upgraded my tv to a Samsung QE55Q85R
and I'm wondering if it will make any difference if I stream Netflix, Disney+, Amazin prime, bbc Iplayer etc straight from the tv, via Samsungs inbuilt apps or would my xbox one x or Nvidia shield be better. Would one have better picture quality or better for updates for example.

I have got last years Samsung flagship TV. It is very good and the Tizen interface is nice. I have also had just about every media playing device out there.

IMO, the best is the current Apple TV. It's interface is easily the best out there, it has every streaming app you need but the true deal breaker for me is the Infuse media playing app which is absolutely fantastic. It would be truly perfect if Apple allowed Atmos soundtracks to be played for non-streamed content. Infuse plays 100 GB 4k files flawlessly .... without any required server running (like Plex).

in lots of ways the pic is better than most 4k tv's!
You're watching the wrong 4K TVs! ;)
I honestly don't know why our Firesticks are so slow it doesn't make sense but this is the truth.
Planned obsolescence.
If it's the v1 Firestick, like the one I have, it's simply down to the lack of horsepower from the hardware and bloat from the software. I'd expect the current Firesticks to work perfectly.... for now.

Paul

My current Firestick the 4k one is lighting fast!

in terms of disney plus streaming - both my ps4 pro and sky q the picture is shocking. i had to buy a firestick to see it properly.

and the ZT picture was marvelous i miss it.

I have Shield and LG B7 - I use the B7 apps for streaming, and Shield for Plex and games.

B7 has Plex which works well - but no TrueHD/DTS-MA or full Atmos via ARC.

Shield doesn't have NowTV / BritBox / AppleTV+ (the B7 only doesn't have Apple TV+)

My 2015 Shield also doesn't do Dolby Vision or Atmos via streaming apps - the 2019 would.

Shield Netflix doesn't auto change framerate and Shield Amazon app doesn't do UHD currently.

Unless you have your Shield set to 50Hz or install Refresh Rate changer it's not the best for iPlayer (no UHD/HLG either) and ITV player, and also no Freeview Play / All4 or My5 apps.

Android TV is not a well looked after OS, and although the Shield devices are quick and well maintained by NVidia they are lacking overall compared to Apple TV, especially at the price point and scarcity of them.

I use the built in Apps on the TV, lg c7. Got a roku upstairs, non smart tv. I've also got the original shield tv, not used. And a amazon fire 4k box, only used for amazon music. Ps4 not use for its smart features.

For me it really comes down to the supported services and how responsive it is.
That’s why I like the Apple TV, It has most services, can move around the screen quickly and as an added bonus our iPhones and iPads act as additional remotes and speed up search boxes as you can enter it on your phone and we’re not stuck if it goes missing.

Apple TV seems to be the only device to reliably switch frame rates to match media. Fire TV 4K doesn’t frame rate match via Netflix or disney plus as he apps don’t support it. Side loading kodi and running Netflix on kodi via a plug in give soption to frame rate match but I’ve not found it consistent to stream without major buffering issues. And I have a 70mb download so don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue.

The 2019 Nvidia Shield and LG OLED is the perfect combination for me.
The Shield beats the Apple TV hands down for UHD local content given that it supports HD audio codecs via a choice of apps such as Kodi. I’m surprised that Apple haven’t addressed this - I for one wouldn’t entertain an Apple TV unless this feature was supported.
My LG OLED offers everything and more in terms of streaming vs the Apple TV. They still make great phones and tablets though!!

Shield Netflix doesn't auto change framerate and Shield Amazon app doesn't do UHD currently.
The Shield can if you install the ‘Frame Rate’ app.

Apple TV 4K for me, head and shoulders above the rest for support, quality, etc. I've had it since it came out, on the promise that frame rate matching came, and it did shortly after release. I've been enjoying a very stable device, that is very easy to operate and received plenty of updates and apps to remain current.

I have Shield and LG B7 - I use the B7 apps for streaming, and Shield for Plex and games.

B7 has Plex which works well - but no TrueHD/DTS-MA or full Atmos via ARC.

Shield doesn't have NowTV / BritBox / AppleTV+ (the B7 only doesn't have Apple TV+)

My 2015 Shield also doesn't do Dolby Vision or Atmos via streaming apps - the 2019 would.

Unless you have your Shield set to 50Hz or install Refresh Rate changer it's not the best for iPlayer (no UHD/HLG either) and ITV player, and also no Freeview Play / All4 or My5 apps.

Android TV is not a well looked after OS, and although the Shield devices are quick and well maintained by NVidia they are lacking overall compared to Apple TV, especially at the price point and scarcity of them.

I'm in a similar position, though I have a C9 TV, which i bought as one reason being that it had eARC.. sadly that wasn't quite as true in that it can't use it from built in apps. I added the Shield to get Atmos, DTS-X etc from my Plex library.

I have AppleTV on the LG but haven't really watched much on it.

Picture quality wise, I think the built in apps just edge it for me, but it's very close.. some better shadow detail, slightly less edge display but that's if i'm trying to be picky. Audio wise, it's a clear win for the Shield as I get Atmos. If only LG had been able to include it I would have been totally happy with the TV in every way!

I'm in a similar position, though I have a C9 TV, which i bought as one reason being that it had eARC.. sadly that wasn't quite as true in that it can't use it from built in apps. I added the Shield to get Atmos, DTS-X etc from my Plex library.

I have AppleTV on the LG but haven't really watched much on it.

Picture quality wise, I think the built in apps just edge it for me, but it's very close.. some better shadow detail, slightly less edge display but that's if i'm trying to be picky. Audio wise, it's a clear win for the Shield as I get Atmos. If only LG had been able to include it I would have been totally happy with the TV in every way!
I’m not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that you can’t get Atmos from your LG OLED to your AVR? If so you are incorrect as I have a B8 and get Atmos from the internal apps that support it e.g Netflix.
Sorry if I’ve misunderstood you.

I have got last years Samsung flagship TV. It is very good and the Tizen interface is nice. I have also had just about every media playing device out there.

IMO, the best is the current Apple TV. It's interface is easily the best out there, it has every streaming app you need but the true deal breaker for me is the Infuse media playing app which is absolutely fantastic. It would be truly perfect if Apple allowed Atmos soundtracks to be played for non-streamed content. Infuse plays 100 GB 4k files flawlessly .... without any required server running (like Plex).

Agree 100% regarding Apple TV - this is my go to device for everything and Infuse is all I use now to watch my movie collection (both disc players gathering dust!).
I have never been a fan of built in apps on the TV (mind you mine is a Sony so renowned for being crap in this regard!). Even so, I buy a TV based on picture quality only and then use the Apple TV for everything else. Also means I don’t have to worry about apps getting out of date and I can keep my TV for longer than I might otherwise 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom