Sub £1200 Floor standers

Bonzo Cooper

Novice Member
Reaction score
Guys I am building an Atmos system from scratch. My original plan was to use Denon AVR 4500 with Dali opticon 6 bundle with Dali E 14 Sub. This is for a basement room 12 m x 6 m with raised wooden floor.
My circumstances have changed and I cannot spend £ 4500 on speakers. The biggest cost was going to be floorstanding speakers plus sub.
I am now thinking of using BK electronics XXL sub. I will be grateful for advice regarding appropriate floorstanding speakers to go with it. The use will be mostly video with some pure audio only. Thank you

If you use speakers from the M&K range then when listening to pure audio with the BK sub and a high-level cable, you will be able to recreate a large speaker sound which will be perfect for music. These will also be ideal for films as the speakers are extremely neutral in how they work thus helping your amp bring the best out of them. Rel website has loads of useful information about the high-level connection

You should consider the Oberon 7's. I listened to them at RS and they are good, I went for the 5's due to limited space. You can get the Oberon 7 5.1 package for just over £2k: Dali Oberon 7 AV Speaker System

12m x 6m. That is massive room! @Bonzo Cooper can you upload drawing / floorplan how you have planned the room. Would be good to see where the couch and tv is with some dimensions about listening distance etc. Members and dealers can get better idea what is ideal way forward.

"I am now thinking of using BK electronics XXL sub"

If you meant BK XXLS400 then that would be wrong choice. It`s going to be nightmare trying to fill that space with low budget. From BK two Monolith Plus woofers would be minium if the aim is to get any decent experience with blockbuster flicks. For me DIY would be route forward if not picky on finish. Don´t try to get everything right away if you have tight budget. Build good 3.2/2.2 system first if it enables you to make less compromises with the important stuff (woofers) and add the rest of gear when funds allow. Think it as longer project to end up with something special.

Thanks to all of you and in particular Gasp3621. Very constructive.
I face the same problem as everyone regarding demos for BK electronics speakers. I read on these very forums, the experience of some who own these. The feeling was that BK monolith plus was good for movies but should you need to listen to music alone, it was not representative of true sound. Their recommendation was XXL 400.
I am using a 120 inch screen with a 5 m seating distance. The back part of the room has a bar and a table tennis table. So it's a bit of a multi use room.
As you may have guessed, I have not used any high (or even mid) range equipment before. So my attempt was to get everything in one go... But I see the other side too which is to address this as a part of a long project. I am not putting any speakers in the wall for that reason apart from the atmos ones.
The other important thing i haven't sorted is the behaviour of the room in terms of the acoustics. This makes me wary of spending a lot of money only to find my equipment doesn't suit the room.
@Russ 64 I should be able to get a demo of the Oberons once RS open again. Will consider 👍

Def Tech BP9000s & sub built in

Room is 35x30feet 7.6.6 atmos BP9000 system with A90 atmos modules
as they are american they are designed for big rooms & produce a huge soundstage from slim small speakers
1 speaker & you get a built in powered subwoofer & atmos module all in one
Why take 3 bottles into the shower !
see signature below & unlike most AV speakers they are also excellent for music

Last edited:
Room is 35x30feet 7.6.6 atmos BP9000 system with A90 atmos modules
as they are american they are designed for big rooms & produce a huge soundstage from slim small speakers
1 speaker & you get a built in powered subwoofer & atmos module all in one
Why take 3 bottles into the shower !
see signature below & unlike most AV speakers they are also excellent for music

Which 9000 series speakers do you have as they come in 20, 40 and 80 I think. Where were you able to get a demo?

2 x BP9040
1 x CS9040
4 x BP9020
6 x A90 Dolby up firing Atmos Module
home loan from dealer for a month
started with 5 speakers per video below or 5.4.4 system
then added a extra pair for side duty for a 7.6.6 system using 7 speakers in total
would never get away with 19 speakers in the living room
6 speakers in ceiling , 6 subwoofers & 7 floorstanders
multiple smaller subwoofers are better than one large one as well

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you and in particular Gasp3621. Very constructive.
I face the same problem as everyone regarding demos for BK electronics speakers. I read on these very forums, the experience of some who own these. The feeling was that BK monolith plus was good for movies but should you need to listen to music alone, it was not representative of true sound. Their recommendation was XXL 400.

Yep XXLS400 could be slightly better for 2ch listening, but when you put movie on you will be seriously underwhelmed in 12x6 meters room and i get a feeling that building Atmos system is more important as your use is mostly movies! @Ultrasonic used Mono with expensive floorstanders in 2.1 system quite long. Although he has moved to more expensive woofer, he still reminds people that it ain´t bad when setup/placed ideally. I think the myth that all ported subs are poor for music comes from the cheap ones which are more like one note wonders/boom boxes.

You could also consider larger floorstanding speakers for music duties. So subwoofer wouldn`t be needed for music listening, only for movies. It still ain`t going to be easy to fill that massive space!

BP9040 fronts use for 2ch music & no need for a extra sub
each speaker has 3 woofers , 650watt powered 9inch + 2 passive 8inch woofers bass extension below 20hz Bipolar speakers & throw out a huge spacious soundstage
use a DCS bartok streamer DAC & Roon nuclues music server & superb for music duties

Last edited:
BP9040 fronts use for 2ch music & no need for a extra sub
each speaker has 3 woofers , 650watt powered 9inch + 2 passive 8inch woofers bass extension below 20hz Bipolar speakers & throw out a huge spacious soundstage
use a DCS bartok streamer DAC & Roon nuclues music server & superb for music duties
Which region do you live in? I have not come across a Northwest dealer for these. I would love to demo these speakers. Radical!

I face the same problem as everyone regarding demos for BK electronics speakers.

It is trickier at the moment but I think buying a second hand monolith to try would be a good place to start, which you should be able to sell on for roughly what you paid for it if it doesn't work out.

I agree with @Gasp3621 that the difference between sealed and ported subs for music tends to be exaggerated. I think there generally is a difference but it's not huge and some may prefer the sound of ported anyway. Bear in mind that most with traditional stereo music systems use ported floorstanding speakers, not sealed ones.

Using main speakers with built-in subwoofers has one major disadvantage compared to using a separate subwoofer, which is that the latter gives you the freedom to place the sub where it performs best which is unlikely to be the same position as where you want the main speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom