Question Subwoofer box volume

If you have a spare slot then clearing the filters for that slot doesn't make a difference. You can run a combination of basic and advanced filters in one configuration.

I would start with 6dB and run some tests, yes. If that's not enough and you have the headroom then it's ok to add more, just be cautious. Do you always listen at about the same level? If that level changes significantly, say between movies and TV, then you might want multiple profiles. The louder you listen the less house curve you need.

I didn't realise you could run a.combination of advanced and basic filters- must have missed this. I have spare slots.

Yes movies are at a louder volume to TV. I think compression testing is next. So just to confirm if do this on hdmi output 4 on rew and increase the volume on my amp after each sweep. When the lines coalesce I've reached the limits of amp/driver

It's not when they meet, it's when the gap isn't the same as the increase.
So if you start on -18dB in REW and move up to -15dB and you don't see a 3dB difference across the range, you're hitting the limits.

Pay particular attention to the areas where you've applied the heaviest EQ, as well as the very low end.

its been a while but thought id update the thread on my setup. I've now got the raspberry pi in the chain to allow beq filters to be loaded more easily courtesy of @Conrad.

Some compression testing with filters in place, I was surprised to see it compressing above 50hz but this is where the eq is heaviest.

I could potentially ease off the eq higher up the range and also wondering whether i should put a high pass filter around 5 hz to protect the drivers/amp. I don't think i would ever be listening this loud for it to be an issue though

Attachments

• compressionfinal.jpg
    compressionfinal.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 61
I don't think i would ever be listening this loud for it to be an issue though

You might be surprised, 'Reference' for subs is 115dB at the MLP and when you add to that redirected bass from the other channels you could be looking at up to 126dB. Even if only going up to -10dB on the MV that's still 116dB of headroom to be sure. (Hopefully my maths are correct here but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.) :D

I didn't realise I needed so much headroom, I'd been working to 115db as reference but forgot about the redirected bass.

So without adding another subwoofer, I think my options are that I put a hpf on the ulf <5hz, and back off the eq >50hz upwards to allow me more output?

But surely you should be addressing the over 50Hz area, given that that is where it seems to be compressing? Once you have that sorted try more compression testing to see which area to look at next. By all means limit <5Hz, I doubt you will feel any noticeable difference, you certainly shouldn't be able to hear anything there. :)

But surely you should be addressing the over 50Hz area, given that that is where it seems to be compressing? Once you have that sorted try more compression testing to see which area to look at next. By all means limit <5Hz, I doubt you will feel any noticeable difference, you certainly shouldn't be able to hear anything there. :)
This would be in conjunction with backing off the eq above 50hz to see if this helps me get more output. Looks like I'm breaking out the mic again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom